Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,943 times

Advertisements

Any idea how to get a 2 yr old to stop stomping and screaming at the top of his lungs?

I have a feeling he could get us evicted...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Any idea how to get a 2 yr old to stop stomping and screaming at the top of his lungs?

Did this just start? Does he do this in response to something in particular? What do you do when he has one of these episodes?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 PM

i think he just likes the sound of his own noise. nothing sets him off, he just likes to stomp and be loud.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,829 times
Take him to the park and tell him he can stomp and be loud there, but not at home.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

I would suspect he gets some kind of attention or reaction out of you and he's doing it because it's fun to control your reactions.

Either ignore him completely or make a negative consequence for him like leaving the room or apartment when he does this and tell him you don't like to hear it and won't come back until he stops.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:14 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
At least you care. Most tenants with loud kids DO NOTHING about it...

We have kids outside 8 am here screaming on Saturdays/Sundays. The parents are hellish loud, too.

I'd try to divert your child to something else. Or ignore the behavior (it will get worse before it stops).

2 year olds are just loud!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
My friends have had great luck with squirt guns. When the screaming/stomping starts a quick squirt to the face startles them out of it.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My friends have had great luck with squirt guns. When the screaming/stomping starts a quick squirt to the face startles them out of it.
hmmmmm

Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Frankly, that's rather lazy parenting. Squirt guns are similarly used in dog training or to keep the cat off the countertop. Kids have more potential to understand and respond than a dog. What are they going to do when the water doesn't bother the kid anymore...switch to a shock collar??

A two year old is old enough to listen and learn when he can and can't be noisy. Consistent consequences (both positive and negative, appropriate to the situation) and a little bit of time should get it under control....I'd say within 2-3 days...and that's if you've got a serious screamer.

Or, you could just squirt him in the face with water. Geesh.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Frankly, that's rather lazy parenting. Squirt guns are similarly used in dog training or to keep the cat off the countertop. Kids have more potential to understand and respond than a dog. What are they going to do when the water doesn't bother the kid anymore...switch to a shock collar??

A two year old is old enough to listen and learn when he can and can't be noisy. Consistent consequences (both positive and negative, appropriate to the situation) and a little bit of time should get it under control....I'd say within 2-3 days...and that's if you've got a serious screamer.

Or, you could just squirt him in the face with water. Geesh.
I had exactly the same reaction as you, NCyank, to this post.

You see, my cat has been abusive to my dog. The cat picks on the dog. The dog ignores the cat and the cat runs up to the dog and scratches the dog's nose and eyes. The dog is trained not to respond to the cat. The dog ended up with an infected eye b/c of the cat's aggression. I am in the process of training the cat to stay away from the dog by using a plant mister. The mister puts out just enuff moisture to stop the cat in his tracks. That, along with a stern STOP seems to be teaching the cat the word "stop" and keeping the cat away from the dog's face.

But notice - even with my cat - I am using a MISTER, not a stream of water from a water pistol!!! Dang. I would not use a water pistol on a cat, much less a kid!!!!

Folks, find better ways to control your kids!

I did not even allow my son to HAVE or PLAY w/ a "water gun" or "water pistol" b/c I didn't want him to connect the use of a weapon with "attacking" someone else. Think about it. What are we teaching kids when we use a water gun to subdue them? Especially a squirt to the FACE?

I started telling my son b/f he was 2 y/o that loud noises are "outdoor noises." If he yelled, I would quietly say "Shhhhh . . . that is an outdoor voice." You just keep doing this. When you go outside, you tell him - "you are outside now - This is when you can use your outdoor voice." Start there.

When he is in the midst of stomping and yelling, you pick him up (so his feet are not on the floor to stomp) and you tell him, "making loud noises is rude. It is not nice. This is unacceptable behavior. These are outdoor noises." Then you distract him by doing some other activity, such as reading or singing to music.

How successful you will be will have to do with how consistent you are. There is no excuse for children to act out. If he is tired, then you need to make sure he has a nap. If he is hungry, you feed him. Some children stomp and yell when they are either tired or hungry. Some children eat too much food high in sugar/carbos, and get so geared up they get out of control. Review his diet and if you are giving him fruit, fruit juice, ice cream, cookies, pudding, etc as snacks, then you need to change his diet, as he is going bonkers from blood sugar spikes.

Try some different approaches and see what works w/ de-escalating his stomping and yelling episodes.

I think you are very wise to get this under control. You are so right - everyone around you will complain if this continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting