Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,336 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be a senior this year. In the past 3 months I have noticed an alarming change in her eating. She used to eat a lot at dinner. She is also an athelete so she burned most of it off. She was a size 6 but very muscular due to sports.

Over the last 3 months she has had a couple of episodes of throwing up. Each time we heard her in the bathroom at about 5 in the morning. She threw up 6 or 7 times over the next 24 hours and then was fine. I took her to the doctor and they found nothing wrong. They told her she probably just had a sensitive stomach and to watch the greasy foods etc.

Now she hardly eats. Last night we had spaghetti and meatballs. She ate one meatball and about 5 strands of spaghetti. I have noticed her portions getting smaller and smaller. She says she just isn't hungry. She doesn't eat breakfast and I rarely see her eat lunch either. When she does it is never much. She has gone from a size 6 to a size 4 and the 4's are getting baggy.

Not sure if I should be concerned or not. The doctor's have found nothing and she swears there's nothing going on she just doesn't have much of an appetite and that when she eats a lot she feels sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:06 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Are you sure someone is not giving her Adderall?
Would your Dr take blood to test for it?

Old 08-15-2009, 08:13 AM

481 posts, read 806,265 times
Try making nutritious smoothies for her, especially for breakfast. Going to school on an empty stomach is bad for her. How can her brain work properly without fuel?
Good luck!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Are you sure someone is not giving her Adderall?
Would your Dr take blood to test for it?
They have done complete blood work up on her and found nothing. No drugs, she's not pregnant, nothing in her blood work was out of wack. I know this kid pretty well and while I will admit that no parent knows everything their teenager does, I don't think it's any sort of drug. She is against all drug use including alcohol and has stopped being friends with several girls who started drinking. My ex husband (her father) is an addict and she is very vocal on the fact that she will never end up like that. It's just not her thing.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Try making nutritious smoothies for her, especially for breakfast. Going to school on an empty stomach is bad for her. How can her brain work properly without fuel?
Good luck!
Tried it. I have even bought protien shakes and the like thinking she could just drink her breakfast. She says she can't eat in the morning. When she does she throws it up. She takes a banana to school and usually has that around 9 or 10 in the morning. Of course that was when school was in session. (We go back on the 25th) Over summer she hasn't eaten anything that I am aware of for breakfast even though I have provided very healthy foods for the house. We don't fry anything at home and try to eat healthy at all meals. I am trying not to hover or gripe at her about the eating thing but am getting a little worried about it as it's not getting better.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Okay these sound like signs I would be getting this girl to a dr . could be something going on with her friends , them not eating and she wants to fit in with them . this is dangerous and she needs to be made aware of it from a dr . I would definately get this girl to a dr . sounds like the sounds of starting anorexia . yes def something to be worried about .

Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The fact that you have not mentioned anorexia as a suspect, suggests to me that you are unfamiliar with the disorder. Anorexia nervosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sounds like a classic case, and it one of the most difficult of all psycological conditilns to treat. Read all you can about it and try to find support groups.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay these sound like signs I would be getting this girl to a dr . could be something going on with her friends , them not eating and she wants to fit in with them . this is dangerous and she needs to be made aware of it from a dr . I would definately get this girl to a dr . sounds like the sounds of starting anorexia . yes def something to be worried about .
We have been twice, plus a trip to the ER because she was dehydrated. Spent 12 hours putting fluid in her and searching for an answer. They have done an MRI, upper and lower GI series, blood work, even sent a psychologist in to talk to her with me out of the room. She has great friends, a nice boyfriend, good social life, she is active in school. No other warning signs except for not being able to eat. I have worried about anorexia myself but she doesn't seem to have a problem with the way she looks. I don't think it's a wanting to be thin thing. I think she just gets sick when she eats a lot. I don't know why and the doctors don't either and it's really starting to scare me.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:36 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
My daughter will be a senior this year. In the past 3 months I have noticed an alarming change in her eating. She used to eat a lot at dinner. She is also an athelete so she burned most of it off. She was a size 6 but very muscular due to sports.

Over the last 3 months she has had a couple of episodes of throwing up. Each time we heard her in the bathroom at about 5 in the morning. She threw up 6 or 7 times over the next 24 hours and then was fine. I took her to the doctor and they found nothing wrong. They told her she probably just had a sensitive stomach and to watch the greasy foods etc.

Now she hardly eats. Last night we had spaghetti and meatballs. She ate one meatball and about 5 strands of spaghetti. I have noticed her portions getting smaller and smaller. She says she just isn't hungry. She doesn't eat breakfast and I rarely see her eat lunch either. When she does it is never much. She has gone from a size 6 to a size 4 and the 4's are getting baggy.

Not sure if I should be concerned or not. The doctor's have found nothing and she swears there's nothing going on she just doesn't have much of an appetite and that when she eats a lot she feels sick.
Your daughter has something wrong. You are correct, there are red flag warnings here. If her pediatrician won't listen, find another that will.
I would rule out a medical cause first before jumping to an eating disorder.

When that is done and if everything is medically ok, then you need to suspect an eating disorder and confront it head on. Get her in treatment, the sooner the better.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
We have been twice, plus a trip to the ER because she was dehydrated. Spent 12 hours putting fluid in her and searching for an answer. They have done an MRI, upper and lower GI series, blood work, even sent a psychologist in to talk to her with me out of the room. She has great friends, a nice boyfriend, good social life, she is active in school. No other warning signs except for not being able to eat. I have worried about anorexia myself but she doesn't seem to have a problem with the way she looks. I don't think it's a wanting to be thin thing. I think she just gets sick when she eats a lot. I don't know why and the doctors don't either and it's really starting to scare me.
I posted before I read this...how about a food allergy? Celiac disease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting