Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:06 PM

109 posts, read 757,507 times

Advertisements

My son will be turning 2 in just a few weeks and I have no idea what to do for his party??? Any ideas on what to do, where to have it, etc. ???

We live in a smaller town so we don't have any of the big party places like Chuck E. Cheese, The Little Gym, Pump it Up, etc. THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,903 times
Build a theme party around his favorites. I would plan about 4 games for this age. Does he like dinosaurs? Go on a dinosaur hunt and look for chalk dinosaur foot prints, watch Land Before Time, make dinosaur paper plate masks, make a dinosaur cake, play a game with the kids standing in the circle with a stuffed dinosaur like musical chairs "Round and Round the dinosaur goes, where it stops nobody knows". Does he like trains? Have the kids run around the yard attached to each other like a train, hide train cars in the yard and have them find them, make a train cake, watch Thomas the Train movie, etc.

Also, if you can get or make one pinatas are fun for kids this age. If not, have a penny toss where you throw a hundred pennies in the air and they all scramble to pick them up.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 PM

106 posts, read 383,445 times
I agree with the theme idea centered around something he likes...Thomas the Train, etc. At 2, having a big elaborate party out somewhere is really not going to be appreciated. He can have just as much fun at home with a few of his little friends....and of course, cake!:-)

Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
I'd just pick a theme, print out some coloring pages related to the theme, have age-appropriate stuff out for kids to free-play with, and maybe a pull-string pinata. The kids are going to have fun playing at this age, but its still more of a socialization event for families than it is a kid party. So, I'd make sure I had finger/snack food for the adults as well.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
If the weather is nice have it outside. Do you have a nearby park or is your backyard a possible good spot? I always revolved my children's parties when they were young around their favorite TV shows (Dora the Explorer, Barney etc.) or their intests (my daughter was into dogs one year, horses another). I would find plates that had that theme, get solid colored napkins and cups, make up a punch (maybe HiC and 7-up or healthy juice), order a cake with the theme, make up little gift bags (bubbles, animal cookies etc.), and think up a few simple games. At that age kids are pretty easy to please.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,689 times
I think having a 2yr old's party outside of the home can be overwhelming to them and the other children attending. I would keep it small & simple at 2yrs old and wait until he is older to do something at Little Gym,etc...
We didn't do a party for our older daughter outside of the home until she was 5 and our other daughter is 3,she has a Summer bday so we will probably do her "big" 5yr party at the pool we belong to or something....

You can find so many theme ideas in magazines such as Birthday Express,etc...

Have fun and don't stress about what all the other mom's are doing,because you will find that today,it is just a big competetion to see who can have the grandest party for their children...

Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akire View Post
My son will be turning 2 in just a few weeks and I have no idea what to do for his party??? Any ideas on what to do, where to have it, etc. ???

We live in a smaller town so we don't have any of the big party places like Chuck E. Cheese, The Little Gym, Pump it Up, etc. THANKS!!!!
I'm not a big fan of those B'day party places so I'm very happy to go along with the other suggestions given.

Cake, ice cream, little party favors and age appropriate games.
Maybe a few balloons and favors.

Have fun.

http://www.ustoy.com/cgi-bin/ustoy_c...ty/default.htm

http://www.orientaltrading.com/

For party favors!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,903 times
One more idea - if you don't mind a mess. Let them fingerpaint on waxed paper with chocolate pudding and then since it's warm wash off outside in the sprinkler.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,954 times
He's 2?

Have a couple friends over and buy a cake. He won't remember it anyway.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,657,750 times
Are there any children in the neighborhood? Invite them over, and/or a couple of kids from his daycare (if he goes), boil up some hot dogs (don't bother with a grill, they don't care ), turn on some funky dance music (we prefer ChaCha Slide by DJ Casper), put some easy open drinks in a cooler and let 'em rip out in the front/back yard. As far as themes, the cake seems to matter to these little tykes so do one up or have one made. Put some chairs out for the parents and you are ready to go! Silly string is fun too Our events somehow turn into neighborhood block parties so be prepared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting