Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times

Advertisements

My daughter is turning 16 in a few days. She already has each ear pierced 2 times and wants a 3rd time on her ear lobe, not the cartilege.

I don't have a problem with it. A lot of her friends have their 3rd hole in their ears. Hubby doesn't think it is necessary.

What do other parents of girls think???

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
I wouldn't have a problem with it either (gotta pick your battles ;-) ).

Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
My daughter is turning 16 in a few days. She already has each ear pierced 2 times and wants a 3rd time on her ear lobe, not the cartilege.

I don't have a problem with it. A lot of her friends have their 3rd hole in their ears. Hubby doesn't think it is necessary.

What do other parents of girls think???

Vicki

YOU!!!! HAND OVER YOUR PARENTING LICENSE, RIGHT NOW!!!!

Nyuck! Nyuck! Nyuck!

I jest.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:58 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
YOU!!!! HAND OVER YOUR PARENTING LICENSE, RIGHT NOW!!!!

Nyuck! Nyuck! Nyuck!

I jest.
Ha! You jest but there are days when I'd like to not be a parent. The job is very difficult and the pay stinks!

Vicki

Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,741 times
Well, my daughter was that age last year, and goes on and on about it, she wanted like 6 holes in her left ear. I was just sick of the constant drama about the issue, So, one day, after hearing about how she needs to have 6 holes in her ear, and how mean I am, and how she is grown up enough to make her own decisions...blah, blah....I am like, "okay, hop in the car, let's go."

She was so shocked, it is like they try to find things that will make you say no, so they can argue with you, and have fights about how you are ruining their life.

Let her have it. It is just not worth the drama and ongoing crap you would have to deal with. Make her pay for it though. That is what I tell my daughter, I am like, "well, I don't like the idea, but you are old enough to decide what you want to do, so since it is not necessary, you will have to pay for it." That seems to stop many "great ideas".

She has stopped asking for a tattoo, and the belly button piercing, and the nose piercing, because now she knows I will just grab the car keys, and take her. That has just totally ruined EVERYTHING for her now. And I have not heard a peep about any of those things for quite awhile now...even though that was the topic and main subject of every single conversation we had in the last year, and how EVERYONE has a nose piercing, tattoo, and belly ring, and I was ruining her LIFE because she did not have those things.

Since I was so immediate about the ear piercing issue, because I was so sick of the drama, she is sort of quiet about alot of things. Of course, she is not home now, and can do what she wants. But believe me, they are just looking for issues to make confrontations about.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
I would much rather my daughters get their ears pierced a 100 times over getting their nose or eyebrows or tongue or belly button or nipples or the below private parts pierced.

If her earlobe is big enough to get 3 piercings then it really wouldn't look any worse than the 2 she already has. Some girls don't have big enough earlobes for 2 much less 3 piercings and the holes are to close together and I would worry that a hole would tear and 2 or the 3 holes could become one big hole.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Ha! You jest but there are days when I'd like to not be a parent. The job is very difficult and the pay stinks!

Vicki

And, especially when you need it, thankless.

I'm sure you do a great job.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
As a teen I decided I wanted more ear peircings. I didn't ask, just did it myself with a safety pin and some rubbing alcohol. My ears are done 5 times in one and 6 in one. I seldom wear earrings any more because I've developed some allergies and need some spendy ones but I do like the looks of the studs even at my ripe age of almost 40. I'd let my daughter do ears.

My son who is 20 wanted to get his lip done and I did everything in my power to talk him out of it. So far so good

Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Not a big deal. I had 3 in one ear in HS. As someone said, pick your battles.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:29 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
I'll chime in as #3 for "pick your battles." ;p

I would just suggest, though, taking her to an actual piercer to have it done with a needle and not just to mall where they use a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting