Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:27 PM

106 posts, read 383,342 times

Advertisements

My second grader got in a scuffle conflict on the playground today (a little rolling around over a basketball as far as I can determine - nobody's admitting they "started it" and no fists were swung). I got a call from the Principal at work, which is what I asked them to do in cases like this so I was glad they did.....(although I had hoped for a little longer than a month or so before I got a call!)

Our school has what they call "zero tolerance" for a few things and fighting is one of them...there is no warning and he knows that. My son was given a choice of one swat with the paddle (yes, they still do that with parental o.k. - some of you may recall our recent "corporal punishment consent" struggle) or an afternoon of detention or "isolation" as they call it.

I talked to my son briefly on the phone and he actually wanted to choose the swat...which surprised me big-time!...he's never had a paddling at school. Apparantly, the other boy chose the swat and he didn't want to be the only one to pick detention. Also, he told me this afternoon that "a swat's over really fast and isolation's not."...interesting take from a 7-year-old.

Anyway, maybe I should have let him stick with his decision....but, since I didn't have time to go down there and I don't want him paddled unless either his mom or I are there (and only for more serious infractions)...I made him take the detention and he is scheduled to do his 2 hours of "time" tomorrow afternoon.

I don't mean to start a discipline debate here (really), just wondering....I don't remember having detention as an option til Jr. High (7th grade). Has anyone else out there heard of this for kids this age or is this unique? As I understand it, it works like this: Each grade has its own "isolation" period after school twice a week and one of the teachers from that specific grade serves as "warden" so to speak, so there are no older kids in the room. They just make them sit there silently and write sentences and such...yuck! They can be assigned different amounts of time depending on the infraction between 30-minutes and 2-hours.

We've been doing SO good for the past month or so since school started (at school and home)! Really, it's been great lately. I know "boys will be boys" and nobody was hurt or anything...I just hope this isn't the beginning of a bad phase.

Also....Since he is getting punished at school, we're letting that be it...no further punishment at home aside from mild fussing. That's how my folks did it...only got in trouble at home if it was a note from the teacher for them to "handle it". My wife on the other hand, got in trouble at home even if there was a punishment at school, so she is a little reluctant to let it go without additional chores and such. What's the consensus out there on that little difference in opinion?

Thanks for reading my long diary entry....as always

JBAR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 06:34 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar View Post
My second grader got in a scuffle conflict on the playground today (a little rolling around over a basketball as far as I can determine - nobody's admitting they "started it" and no fists were swung). I got a call from the Principal at work, which is what I asked them to do in cases like this so I was glad they did.....(although I had hoped for a little longer than a month or so before I got a call!)
he sounds like a little thug, don't ever show approval for it

Old 09-15-2009, 06:40 PM

264 posts, read 819,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post

that is quite a leap to make.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
We certainly won't show approval....but, we aren't ready to send him away to Military School just yet either

Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 PM

897 posts, read 2,454,870 times
I have never heard of detention in elementary school- i think we get a few warnings then the parents are called- does your son have problems often? sounds likr it since you said he he been so good for a whole month. Good luck-

Old 09-15-2009, 06:47 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Elementary school detention is standard in my area... but it is just an hour.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
I have never heard of detention in elementary school- i think we get a few warnings then the parents are called- does your son have problems often? sounds likr it since you said he he been so good for a whole month. Good luck-

No, he has actually never gotten in trouble at school beyond a note for talking, etc....we just had some relatively minor issues at home this past summer with attitude. I'm a fairly new stepdad, and this one led the charge to test me That's what I was eluding to.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:04 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,482 times
If I got into trouble at school, it would be ten times over at home. It showed me that my parents supported the teachers and their authority and so should I. Most of my brothers and sisters never got into trouble at school (other than smoking) because we saw our older brothers (twins) get their "at home" punishment and didn't want any of that!

The school my children attend suggests that if they say they have handled it, do not add additional punishment. However, they will tell you if they think further punishment is necessary. This works out well for children and seems to be the best of both worlds.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
I'm with your wife. Once the kids know that there will be consequences not only at school, but at home, they'll most likely think a little bit harder and a little bit longer before breaking a rule.

By the way, this no tolerance for fighting is crap, if you're the one defending yourself. Which makes me re-think this... if your son was on the defense, don't punish him at home. Just tell him to never start it a fight, but to take down any kid that starts one with him.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
I would have picked the detention over the swat, too. You don't want him to "get over" so quick, so he forgets what the rule is. I would not have added anything at home either.

The zero tolerance policy is horrible and you have to get it in his brain that he can get in trouble for doing the wrong thing and the right thing. I had to tell my son facts don't matter, excuses don't matter, sequence of events doesn't matter, who started it doesn't matter, self defense doesn't matter, misunderstandings don't matter, rational thought doesn't matter - if there are two kids fighting with each other, either physically or with words, the school says you will be punished. You can't deal with "zero policy" in any rational thoughtful reasoned way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting