Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,059,669 times

Advertisements

I had a two-year-old who was also prone to running off. We couldn't let him out of our sight, even to answer the phone, because he would be out of the house and down the street looking for someone to play.

I think the parents' relief and gratitude indicates a loving family who had a bad day. Thank God you were there to protect the little boy in the parking garage before he got into trouble!

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-24-2009 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 AM

758 posts, read 1,873,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I had a two-year-old who was also prone to running off. We couldn't let him out of our sight, even to answer the phone, because he would be out of the house and down the street looking for someone to play.

I think the parents relief and gratitude indicates a loving family who had a bad day. Thank God you were there to protect the little boy in the parking garage before he got into trouble!

That is how our 2yr old is. I have to explain to anyone watching him that "don't take your eyes off him" is quite literal, because as soon as you lose visual contact of him he is gone!

This could have ended much worse and good thing someone stepped up to plate and did something. Too often we see people look the other way and figure it's not their business and they're not going to worry about it.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times
Aaaaarrgghhh, one of those threads I start and totally forget about it

Well, the mom fixed me good food last night (after I delayed it a lot owing to my schedule) and I figured I forgot this thread. I must say she cooks good. And that kid is pretty hyper, still. She's now installed a sensor at her door, which she told me will beep if the door gets opened when she is not paying attention.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,553,626 times
I think you did the right thing. It sounds like the mom is not neglectful, just one of those situations where a hyperactive kid gets away without anyone noticing for a while. I'm guessing most parents have lost track of their kids at some point, maybe not as dangerous a situation as this was. She's taken steps to resolve future escapes, so calling the police would have put an innocent family through an unnecessary hardship.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,504,457 times
A friend of a friend wasn't feeling well one weekend morning and slept in. Her husband got up very early and took their older child fishing. The mother awoke to a police officer with CPS worker in tow holding her three year old who had gotten up and left the house (Dad had locked the door but the upper chain lock could only be locked from the inside and Mom was in bed). The Mom invited the them in, profusely apologizing. The CPS worker asked to see the kid's rooms, when she saw that the older boy's room (the one fishing) was being renovated and he was sleeping in the bonus room, she determined the house was unsafe for children and the kid's were removed for THIRTY days. It took an entire appeals process and court dates for this poor woman to get her kids back.

I think you did the right thing.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,273,450 times
My son is at the age where he's defiant, likes to be outside, and knows how to open the doors even with child safety devices.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,012,313 times
I would have called the cops.. its not my place to go around lookin for some kid's parents, and like you, I'd be more worried about being accused of kidnapping.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:36 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,909,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Aaaaarrgghhh, one of those threads I start and totally forget about it

Well, the mom fixed me good food last night (after I delayed it a lot owing to my schedule) and I figured I forgot this thread. I must say she cooks good. And that kid is pretty hyper, still. She's now installed a sensor at her door, which she told me will beep if the door gets opened when she is not paying attention.
That sensor is a great idea. My brother started sleepwalking when he was about 11. We lived in an apartment building high-rise. He managed to get out the door, get on the elevator, go down to the lobby and was on his way out the front door to the "mean streets" (LOL) of the upper east side,when the doorman grabbed him.

This was before everyone had Brinks sensors on every orifice of their home, and all he had to undo was a deadbolt.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM

758 posts, read 1,873,234 times
We have the sensors on our doors also. My MIL found them on HSN awhile back for about 5 bucks a piece. The ones here I found in the stores were like 20 bucks for one. Anyway it gave me piece of mind, I could do laundry or cook without having to constantly go look to see where my little escape artist was at the moment.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,930,238 times
We also have sensors on our doors. More than once my husband and I have been upstairs and we hear "beep, beep, beep", look at each other, and run downstairs to find our 3 year old trying to walk out the door.

I've heard plenty of parents of similar aged kids tell stories of when their little ones escaped the house and were found by neighbors before they even knew the kid was gone. I don't think it means the parents are irresponsible, at least not the first time. After that, it's time to install something on the door to prevent it from happening again, which is what it sounds like this mom did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting