Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:01 PM

264 posts, read 819,693 times

Advertisements

most communities large enough to have a community college also have a free health clinic that you would probably qualify for in order to get some treatment for your depression. call your school's health center and ask them if they know of one if you can't find anything on google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 04:26 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
No, I think you should move out, and get a full time job. You won't have to do what your mother says at all. You will have to pay your own rent, bills, and be all grown up. Your depression will be cured, because if you don't go to work you will be homeless.

I won't say what I really think...because it would be too detremental to your fragile state.
You don't think I am trying?
I'm applying and im not getting called back. I've asked friends and my explorers supervisor to keep an eye out for places. People ask my supervisor all the time if she has any kids old enough to do certain jobs, like security.
As soon as I get the job, I am going to save up every last cent and moving out when I have enough.Hopefully I will be able to move out next summer at the beginning of the summer.

And my depression isn't stemming from not liking to listen to her, that's dumb.
They are a lot of things going on right now, most I won't go into and there are a lot of things that have happened that are contributing to my depression.
So your theory on what will cure my depression is wrong.

My mom doesn't tell me what to do anyways.
This is one of the very few things.
In fact, I can pretty much do as I please.
Clean up after myself and go to college.

So what's there to be depressed with that?

"I won't say what I really think...because it would be too detremental to your fragile state."

Please do say it. Enlighten me.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:30 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Someone's post from my last thread here is hanging around in the back of mind as I post this so I have to swear it isn't an "omg-r-muh-rents'-liek-bein-unfair?" kind of question.
Grow up. Your mom is right. If you're living at home the requirement is that you attend college. If you don't want to do that, then move your ass out and support yourself. It ain't rocket science.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:57 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,236 times
txtqueen, you can get a job today, and move far away from your mom, join the army. Join Job Corps, You would get a full time job, and a place to live, and not have to attend college. You can apply to work at a carnival/fair jobs, they let you share a trailer with another worker. Full time employment, and a place to live. Consider long haul trucking, they will even pay for you to train and get your CDL, you will be far away from your momma. Let me know how those jobs pan out for you. I have more suggestions, but those are the ones right off the top of my head. Oh, there is a wilderness program in Wyoming hiring camp counselors right now, you recieve a stipend, because you camp out while working, no need for housing. You don't even need a degree. Just willingness to put up with entitled brats. There are several jobs posted for live in elder care, full time employment, and a place to live. You can move out, there are plenty of jobs out there, that even include housing.

Last edited by kek1993; 09-26-2009 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-26-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Grow up. Your mom is right. If you're living at home the requirement is that you attend college. If you don't want to do that, then move your ass out and support yourself. It ain't rocket science.
I do want to. All I ask is a little time off.
I would like some time to put towards working because when I need money for police academy and some saved up during police academy because police academy is from 8am-5pm, so I won't have much time to work. And I will need money afterward for equipment and such.

Plus my grandmother is pay for college, so if I don't go spring semester there will be more money to put towards police academy. Its $5000 and I may not be able to get it paid for, I may be pay for it partially or out of pocket so I need all the college money I can get to pay for it.

If I don't go to police academy then there goes my whole career.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
txtqueen, you can get a job today, and move far away from your mom, join the army. Join Job Corps, You would get a full time job, and a place to live, and not have to attend college. You can apply to work at a carnival/fair jobs, they let you share a trailer with another worker. Full time employment, and a place to live. Consider long haul trucking, they will even pay for you to train and get your CDL, you will be far away from your momma. Let me know how those jobs pan out for you. I have more suggestions, but those are the ones right off the top of my head. Oh, there is a wilderness program in Wyoming hiring camp counselors right now, you recieve a stipend, because you camp out while working, no need for housing. You don't even need a degree. Just willingness to put up with entitled brats. There are several jobs posted for live in elder care, full time employment, and a place to live. You can move out, there are plenty of jobs out there, that even include housing.
I live in Colorado.
I am in the Explorers, VALUABLE training.
I plan on staying the explorers till I age out at 21, next August.
Then I plan on going to academy that same August, graduating in December.
I can't really leave state.

If I spend $800 on another semester, that takes $800 away from police academy. I don't know if the PD I am with now is going to pay for my academy, all or part, so I need to save up as much as I can and get a job and work hard and to be able to pay for it.

I don't even plan on needing my degree for another 10 years.
I plan on being a cop for quite a bit and then when I want to settle down and have kids is when I plan on switching careers to something like investigations or detective.

Like I said this isn't an "I hate my moms rules" question.

This is about what is best for me and my career.

I need to not go to college next semester because I know my head isn't in it right now and I need the best grades I can get. I need to not go so I can put the money towards academy which right now is more important to be putting money towards because I need it before I need my degree. I need to not go to college next semester so I can work fulltime/overtime/2-3jobs if need be so I can afford explorers and police academy and equipment.
I am thinking of my future and what is financially reasonable and smart and what is going to work out in the long run.

I am not quitting college. I am not wanting to sit around on my ass, I want to take control of my life and steer it into the direction it needs to go.
If I were to move out there would be no way I could afford police academy and the things that go along with it. I would just getting by and my career goals wouldn't be an option.

I need her to let me make the adult decision that is best for me and my career. I am grateful that she cares enough to want me to stay in college, I am grateful that she is letting me live at home so that my career goals are obtainable, I am grateful that she doesn't want me to sit at home and do nothing and be lazy.

But this is one of those situations where the parent is so afraid the child is going to fail or end up a deadbeat that they are making the decisions for the child even if that decision is going to make the child fail anyways.

If I knew I would have the money for police academy, I would stay in college but I don't know if I will.

Why would I spend money on college when my heart and mind is just not into it right now? I don't want to go to college and just get by with grades, I want to do my best and I know I can't right now.
That money would be better off put towards academy and my time would be better well spent working to make money for academy.

I will try to talk to my mom about it again.
I am 20 and it should be my right to make this decision because I want the best for myself and I know what I need to do to get my life in order and to be happy and I want to make it happen.

I don't see that as unreasonable, I feel it's actually quite smart.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Oh and I reapplied at wal-mart.
Its probably been the full 60 days since I last applied.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
I am not dropping out of college for good.
I just don't want to go next semester.

Either way, I have to take a break from college next fall for police academy.
and then doing my field training after graduation and most likely going back to college that next fall of 2011.

I'd like to go visit my grandmother and great grandmother, just spend some time down in TN to clear my head.

I WANT a degree in Criminal Justice. There is no way I am going to quit college for good and not get that degree.
If you need a break, take one. You could always consider taking one or two online courses just for that period of time so you don't feel you are giving up on your dreams, but only allowing yourself some additional flexibility you may need financially and emotionally for this period of time.

I always tell my kids they don't have to fit in a mold to make a success of their life. They only have to make a plan and take moderate steps to accomplish it so they are happy with the end result.

You are probably feeling depressed because you feel there is too much pressure being placed on you. Take the pressure off by rewriting the steps needed to reach your goal.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Does she require you take a full courseload or can you take 9 credits or even 6 next term so you are still in college? I had to work a lot one semester and took 9 hrs so I could get enough shifts at work to pay my rent and bills (I was a server in a restaurant). It took some pressure off for me but kept my head in the game and I went ahead and registered for a full load the next term. Had I simply taken the semester off, it would have been harder to get back on track.

I would think as many credits as you can rack up before police academy would be beneficial for when you are working. If a BS is needed or makes you more competitive for a certain job that you decide you want, you have that fewer amount of credits to get to it.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
I do want to. All I ask is a little time off.
I would like some time to put towards working because when I need money for police academy and some saved up during police academy because police academy is from 8am-5pm, so I won't have much time to work. And I will need money afterward for equipment and such.

Plus my grandmother is pay for college, so if I don't go spring semester there will be more money to put towards police academy. Its $5000 and I may not be able to get it paid for, I may be pay for it partially or out of pocket so I need all the college money I can get to pay for it.

If I don't go to police academy then there goes my whole career.
Wake up and smell the coffee. Pull up your big-girl pants and take charge of your life. Do you REALLY think you're going to have much of a career in the police force if you don't have that college degree? NO, you won't. You need that degree!

Stop feeling sorry for yourself, get your butt in school, and thank your lucky stars that your mom is letting you live at home while you go to college. Trust me, it is NOT easy to pay your own way and support yourself while you go to school. I should know, I left my parents' house at 18 and never took a single thing from them again. I worked my butt off putting myself, my (now ex) husband, and both my kids through college.

You have it easy, so stop whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting