Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I thhink that if girls are allowed to play high school football then boys should be allowed to play high school field hockey.
Yes .... but not on mixed teams. See my other posts in this thread and REA88's post above for why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 65,948 times
Default Just curious

I am just curious on this. Our HS team were expected to change into their uniforms during lunch on days they played away to save time. Would this apply to any boy playing too. If not, why not?

Second. If a boy came to school wearing a skirt, he'd probably be sent home for being disruptive or violating some dress code. So if a boy were to attend afternoon classes in a field hockey skirt, wouldn't that be disruptive too? In that case why should the boy be allowed to attend classes?

It seems to me a dilemna or paradox, whatever you call it.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:23 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REA88 View Post
. There is a reason guys/girls have gender specific sports. Males are soo much stronger than girls when they get to about 14/15 and when they start lifting weights. I played four seasons of football in High School and it is incredible how hard the hitting was. It could literly have been lethal.
It sounds like you are comparing the strongest boys in the school to the daintiest cheerleader type girls in the school. I agree there would probably be quite a variation there. If the girl's field hockey team is anything like the one that was at my high school, I'd argue that there was much less variation. Those weren't the "girliest" girls by any stretch and other than huge football players, I see no problem letting the boy play field hockey. I think the girls could handle him .

Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 PM

15 posts, read 65,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
As a Brit now in the US I can empathise. I played Field Hockey for my School and County in my teens and it is a hard and rough game to play. Can I also say that 'Baseball' know in the UK as 'Rounders' is usually only played by girls and Soccer is usually only played by boys...It time 'ALL' sports were open to 'All' genders without bias !! I challenge you ! As the Mom, make it so number one !!!
Just curious. What is the uniform for rounders and if a boy plays on a rounders team does he wear the same uniform as the girls?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
If it's a school team and it's the school uniform, then I can't see that the school would send him home for violoating any kind of dress code. Also, not sure about the current legal status of boys wearing skirts to school (at least in public schools), but in recent years there have been a couple of lawsuits; one was about a kilt, another one was by a boy who wanted to wear shorts (due to some sports injury, I believe), wasn't allowed to do so, and decided to wear a skirt instead. I don't have a problem with boys wearing skirts to school, even if ultra feminine, but I'm also guessing that most of these field hockey skirts are not pink and covered with flowers and sparkles.

Even if they were, I, for one, wouldn't mess around with a field hockey player willing to do a skirt (or kilt). Field hockey players are tough. They're not exactly the frail, victim types.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 29,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If it's a school team and it's the school uniform, then I can't see that the school would send him home for violoating any kind of dress code. Also, not sure about the current legal status of boys wearing skirts to school (at least in public schools), but in recent years there have been a couple of lawsuits; one was about a kilt, another one was by a boy who wanted to wear shorts (due to some sports injury, I believe), wasn't allowed to do so, and decided to wear a skirt instead. I don't have a problem with boys wearing skirts to school, even if ultra feminine, but I'm also guessing that most of these field hockey skirts are not pink and covered with flowers and sparkles.

Even if they were, I, for one, wouldn't mess around with a field hockey player willing to do a skirt (or kilt). Field hockey players are tough. They're not exactly the frail, victim types.
It's an interesting point though. If another boy, not the field hockey player, wears a skirt to school, on what grounds would you send them home if you allow another boy to wear a skirt in class, for any reason?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:38 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crissx View Post
It's an interesting point though. If another boy, not the field hockey player, wears a skirt to school, on what grounds would you send them home if you allow another boy to wear a skirt in class, for any reason?
You can't if the male self identifies himself as gay/transgendered.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:14 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
I am not keen on boys playing rough sport with girls. I know its an old fashioned thing but thats the way it is. I think that boys need to learn respect for girls and I am not sure how crashing into them does that.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:26 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I am not keen on boys playing rough sport with girls. I know its an old fashioned thing but thats the way it is. I think that boys need to learn respect for girls and I am not sure how crashing into them does that.
One of two things happen .... either the girls get hurt or the boys back off and fail to fulfill their potential.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 PM

9 posts, read 29,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
One of two things happen .... either the girls get hurt or the boys back off and fail to fulfill their potential.
Exactly. It doesn't serve anyone or the game. Girls can second guess themselves and be intimidated where they normally would not be, or they can go in and have a higher risk or getting hurt or the boy backs off more which doesn't serve him as an athlete.

While this boy might have had a good experience playing field hockey before, I really question if he will find the same satisfaction playing on a girl's team anyway and competing against girls. How can that be a positive experience for him, no matter how much he loves the game. With all the additional issues surrounding being on a girl's team, wearing a skirt and so on, I am surprised, no amazed, that any boy would want to do it or find any satisfaction in doing so. It would be better if he just focused on another sport, like lacrosse or ice hockey and took up a new challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting