Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times

Advertisements

To be quite honest, if a bit smarmy, I really don't get how an educator could not see the link between vocabulary & grammar with culture and ethnicity.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
To be quite honest, if a bit smarmy, I really don't get how an educator could not see the link between vocabulary & grammar with culture and ethnicity.
Pat Conroy "got it". So did Jamie Escalante. Thankfully, so did a few of the teachers I had.

And people wonder why kids can't relate to their teachers and they're in the classroom acting up and bored to tears from the endless dullness that is American education today.

But teach a child how what he is learning relates to him and the life around him? Horrors! Perish the thought!!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,326,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Maybe I'm a bit sheltered here, but I teach at a college prep school. I have barely enough time to squeeze in all the curriculum I have to teach in 180 days. I teach 2 books of vocabulary (spelling, etymology, definition, antonyms/synonyms, usage), 2 books of grammar (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, diagramming, etc- can't remember it all right now). I'm not sure where we would take the time to discuss how we all "feel" about the word interloper. We can discuss the meaning, the root, and so on...but quite frankly, I would consider that I was "dumbing down" my subject to take the time at that moment to discuss how European Colonists where interlopers in the settlement of our state. If someone used it in a sentence "The British were interlopers in Native American life" that would certainly be appropriate. I wouldn't spend 45 minutes on it, though. Our parents aren't paying for that.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Pat Conroy "got it". So did Jamie Escalante. Thankfully, so did a few of the teachers I had.

And people wonder why kids can't relate to their teachers and they're in the classroom acting up and bored to tears from the endless dullness that is American education today.

But teach a child how what he is learning relates to him and the life around him? Horrors! Perish the thought!!
Personally, I'm a fan of Jamie Escalante, and I think that he used the methods that he had to to reach his students.

The kids in my class all understand that they're there to learn and to well. The all know there are high expectations for them academically. They're all going to colleges, and they're going to some of the toughest colleges in the US. They- and their parents- expect me to get them ready to get into those schools. Believe me, they're far from bored. They want to be challenged.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,944,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What the teacher did was extremely inappropriate. She should have had some form of parental consent before discussing gender identity issues and ESPECIALLY for forcing your son to have his hair styled like a girl. I find it hard to believe that the school even have time to teach this stuff when our kids are lagging behind the rest of the world. Time for our school to get back to the basics and once our kids master that, then we can talk about other topics. If I were you, I'd complain to the principal and to the district as this was not right and could have caused your son extreme embarrassment.
Why would putting pigtails in a little boy's hair cause 'gender identity issues'? IMO if you're going to wear your hair in a manner befitting a gender you are not, you either a) already have gender identity issues or b) need to realize that people's perceptions are formed by what they see - and allowing a boy to have long hair is a choice. Although the child might not be aware of what it says to others, unless the parents are very young and mentally challenged, they should know what it says. Choice=consequence

Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
My son's 5th grade language/arts teacher used the Butterfly Project as a basis for teaching language and history this past year. It was highly impactful, and I was very impressed with how she structured the lessons around literature, human rights issues, and history.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My son's 5th grade language/arts teacher used the Butterfly Project as a basis for teaching language and history this past year. It was highly impactful, and I was very impressed with how she structured the lessons around literature, human rights issues, and history.
Project based learning (loosely what the Butterfly project is) is a wonderful teaching tool- for literature and other humanities based classes.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,935,420 times
We did some of the Butterfly Project at home with my granddaughter and our neighbor girl. We included my autistic grandson, but he didn't really get it. He did make some butterflies though. It's a wonderful project to increase awareness of the Holocaust and to put a face on the numbers of people who died.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

The kids in my class all understand that they're there to learn and to well. The all know there are high expectations for them academically. They're all going to colleges, and they're going to some of the toughest colleges in the US. They- and their parents- expect me to get them ready to get into those schools. Believe me, they're far from bored. They want to be challenged.
So you teach white, upper-class kids with (probably) college educated parents who sleep on clean sheets at night. Wonderful.

I'm not worried about them.

I'm worried about the poverty-stricken kid in the barrio who doesn't have access to a decent school library.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,292,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

He taught you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.