Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am probably older than you are, because I remember it happening for real--the dead kids' pictures were in the newspaper. Heroin in candy bars it was one time.

But I always took my kid trick-or-treating. We checked the candy when she got home--anything that was ripped open or whatever was trashed.
heroin in candy bars?? that must have been EXPENSIVE ......... and somehow, i can't see someone who actually HAS heroin sharing it with the neighborhood kids.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
No, it really is a myth. There have been several cases of kids who have died from poisoned candy, but it was not through trick-or-treating; the heroin incident you're talking about was a kid who was poisoned because he ate his uncle's heroin. The family tried to pass it off as candy poisoning by sprinkling the candy with the heroin after the fact. One of the other big death stories was a dad who intentionally poisoned his son's candy. There's a sociologist (Joel Best) who has researched this is in depth, and has concluded that this really is an urban myth. In both the heroin and the murdering dad case they probably thought that poisoned or razor blade-filled candy was so common (or at least non uncommon) that they could therefore get away with hiding their own crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think the dad who killed his son did it for the insurance money; that in itself is horrible beyond words, but there's something about using candy, of all things, to do such a thing that makes it even worse (if worse could be possible).
the father who poisoned his child happened in a southern suburb of houston in about 1973 or 1974..... i remember this because i am FROM houston and was getting to the age when that was one of my last years of trick or treating. he put cyanide or arsenic in pixie stix ......his own son died and several other children were sickened..... he was convicted of the murder and executed on halloween about 8 years or so later........ as isolated an incident as this was, it did sure put a damper on kids trick or treating for quite some years........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
the father who poisoned his child happened in a southern suburb of houston in about 1973 or 1974..... i remember this because i am FROM houston and was getting to the age when that was one of my last years of trick or treating. he put cyanide or arsenic in pixie stix ......his own son died and several other children were sickened..... he was convicted of the murder and executed on halloween about 8 years or so later........ as isolated an incident as this was, it did sure put a damper on kids trick or treating for quite some years........
It was 1974 and cyanide. Ronald O'Bryan was executed on March 31, 1984, not Halloween. Apparently it was for insurance money, $20,000 or $30,000. That's so horrible.

Ronald Clark O'Bryan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting