Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
ACONITE: The polio vaccine was available only after my sister contracted it. (We're old.)

BECKY: So the vaccine did not work.
Only in the sense that, say, personal pocket-sized teleportation devices don't work...BECAUSE THEY DON'T EXIST. My sister's polio predated the d**n vaccine. I don't know how to say it any more clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I don't expect them to protect me against anything. I have had chicken pox and realize that there is no need to be vaccinated to against it. It is like saying, "I like in a big city to avoid bears." Chances are, living in the country, you are not going to be injured or killed by a bear. You will probably rarely see them.

More like living in the city to avoid coyotes. You can take precautions in the country, and chances are you won't have a coyote problem. But it's nothing I'd bet my housecat on.

Likewise, as coyotes become more urbanized, wilier-- mutate, if you will-- there are some which will filter into the city. But your chances on Broad and High are still a lot lower than Rural Route 655.
If you care about your housecat, you'll take whichever route seems most logical to you. And if you let your cat roam in a neighborhood known for frequent coyote sightings, you're asking for it. Too bad it's your cat that pays the price.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,317,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Wait, morality? WTF does something societally subjective have to do with autism?
A really stupid mistake on my part. I believe though, that there are other examples where the word mortality is in it's place.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,317,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Only in the sense that, say, personal pocket-sized teleportation devices don't work...BECAUSE THEY DON'T EXIST. My sister's polio predated the d**n vaccine. I don't know how to say it any more clearly.
I'm sorry. I was referring to your case of whopping cough. So you are saying that was not around then either? Well that makes since. Either way, there are many kids who are vaccinated who got whopping cough last year.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry. I was referring to your case of whopping cough. So you are saying that was not around then either? Well that makes since. Either way, there are many kids who are vaccinated who got whopping cough last year.
What whooping cough? I'm having difficulty thinking you even read the same thing I posted. Not only was there no reference to "my case of whooping cough" in what you quoted, there was none in my post. Because, yanno...I never had whooping cough, nor did my sister. IIRC, the vaccine was only widely available in the 40s, before either of us were born. (Sabin's vaccine, otoh, was licensed in 1962; family legend has it that my presechool-aged self liked the taste so well I swiped seconds, which brings up questions about not only my mother's parenting skills, but the state of the administering clinic. In any case, I never have gotten polio...or pertussis.)

The only reference to pertussis at all was a hypothetical comparison. To wit:

Mmphm. Okay...what if? I have a hard time making medical decisions for myself or my children based on unsubstantiated what ifs, for a couple of reasons.

1. I have a certain bias when it comes to non-vaxed children, to be honest: For one thing, my older sister had polio; for another, I was exposed to rubella while I was pregnant courtesy of an acquaintance's child. Vax or don't, they're your kids. But keep them home if they're germy, please. And yes, I feel the same way about the kid at the park or at school with strep or the flu. (In fact, don't come to work and cough all over my desk, either.)

2. I have an even harder time thinking I'd rather have my daughter dead from whooping cough or stillborn because of rubella than autistic. There's no guarantee that unvaxed kids will get "the mildest of cases"-- in fact, a Florida boy died not too long ago from chicken pox. I kind of doubt his family's wandering around thinking, "gee, close call, he could have been autistic and that would really be bad".

3. And even that assumes a creditable link between vaccines and autism....which thus far, is unsubstantiated.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I am immediately suspicious of any statement that exhibits spurious exactitude. One out of 91? Autism is a spectrum disorder, with no clear boundaries. It's like saying a large parking lot has 91 blue automobiles. Blue is a spectrum, and no two people would agree on exactly where the line is between blue and another color like gray or green. Any two observers would count a different number of cars that they called blue.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
I just read about Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carey's little boy. They had a bad experience as well. They did something to make a change. It was not just a gluten free diet. They had the money so they poured it into their child. Now I see nothing wrong with them pushing for change. When Martin Luther King Jr. did, he walked the streets with celebrities at his side. It is often because a celebrity decides, "You know, I have better ability to make a difference so I'm going to try." I do not blame other companies for not standing by her statements. It was not just one thing or another that helped her son so in that they are very right. No use getting sued because their product does not make a change all by itself. We must face the fact that most people are not going to have financial access or dedication to follow through with all that they did for their son.
I know that I'm late in this conversation, but I just finished reading Jenny McCarthy's book, Mother Warriors, A Nation of Parents Healing Austism Against All Odds.

I'm watching her segments on Oprah, which were mentioned here. They are on YouTube - just type in Jenny McCarthy Oprah austism.

I know about healing yourself inside and I believe these mother's reports. God bless them for their tireless work amongst all of the skeptics!!!!! You go parents!!!!!

A excerpt from the above mentioned book:

Quote:
"When did people become so trusting of government organizations or even paramedical companies? Sooner or later, many of these organizations become corrupt. It's inevitable.

Remember when they told us smoking was good for our health? Remember they told us autism was because of emotionally cold and lazy mothers? How many times have medications come on the market, deemed safe, and then pulled off the market owing to major side effects? Are we to believe that ALL thirty-six vaccinations given now are ALL safe with no side effects? Give me a break. Are we supposed to buy the fact that these shots are one-size-fits-all? Or that every child is born with a perfect immune system? Wake the hell up, America, and think hard about the logic in this.

In the meantime, I hope mothers across America will join me in our fight to change this insane vaccine schedule and demand that they GREEN our vaccines. Take the crap out! Enough is enough.
You go, Jenny girl!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
2. Parents don't want their child to be mentally retarded, they want the diagnosis of "autism" even if the child is actually MR. I have seen parents actually argue with school psychologists regarding the diagnosis, why? More services are available for children with autism than MR, also Autism is seen as "less' severe as MR, and it is less threatening to parents. Most school personell will defer to parents, wishes rather than argue the point.

You are aware, I'm sure that there are individuals with autism who also have mental retardation, and children with autism with no MR. The two designations aren't mutually exclusive, nor do they necessarily go hand in hand. It's not like you're either one or the other, or you're definitely both. A diagnosis of autism wouldn't necessarily rule out a diagnosis of MR, nor would it necessarily be comorbid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting