Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,299,956 times

Advertisements

I am somewhat surprised that the OP's doctor pushed for her son to be circumcised. We have 3 boys and never once was it pushed on us, we had to ask that it be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,497,079 times
Well.there are argyments for & against mutilation,but the final argument is the violation of the will of the baby.
The parents have no right to mutilate defenseless boys.
Mutilation should be prohibited to minors.
Once they become adults,they can exercise their free will & mutilate themserlves,if they want so..

The attitude of parents who talk about mutilating their son as if they castrated their dog is disgusting...

Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,515,076 times
Well...I hesitate to post on this thread because of course its silly to yell at each other over personal matters. My son isn't circ'ed because we adopted him as a 6mth old and the procedure would require general anesthesia, and since I figured it didn't matter that much we didn't do it, it wasn't worth the risk.

However, I don't believe that Jews have been mutilating their infants for thousands of years and I don't care if there are people making money from circumcision, I can certainly think of more terrible things people make money from legally.

I've personally always found some peoples' interest in other peoples' infant boy's penises a little strange.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,806,953 times
I figure that no person who uses the term "mutilate" to describe circumcision has any interest in a reasonable discussion.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:42 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,936,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I've personally always found some peoples' interest in other peoples' infant boy's penises a little strange.
Me too, especially that the OP has been over this in the Great Debates forum, and no one has responded to her last post, meaning, everyone's quite burned out from the obvious impasse. Not being satisfied with that, a new thread has been started here.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:59 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,874,020 times
Many people regard circumcision genital mutilation and the mothers who have watched their babies get it done wish they hadn't. More and more people (I should say Americans since most men around the world are uncut) are opting out of circ so luckily my boy won't be the only uncut among his peers. And I, too, have been with both and much prefer an intact penis. I think the point is that it is very much an unnecessary surgical procedure that can go wrong. Once it goes wrong, you can't fix it. All I'm saying is that if you do the research, you'll probably come to the conclusion that it isn't necessary. When my son was born, everyone asked if we were doing it, the OB, the various nurses, and finally the ped came in. When I said NO for the umpteenth time, he said, "I'm so glad you chose not to circumcise. It's a cosmetic surgery only and the APA does not recommend routine circs anymore." It's hard to think of your child as a sexual being, but I think he will be happy that we left him intact.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,497,079 times
I see no comment adressing the right of a baby not to suffer irreversible "intervention "...

As for the Jews ,I read that some modern congreggations drop the demand for circ from converts.
I wish there will be progressive rabbis to perform "symbolic" circ,remove the frenulum but not the foreskin,to respect the spirit of Judaism & give the freedom to any Jew to follow the letter of the religion after age 18...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,323,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I figure that no person who uses the term "mutilate" to describe circumcision has any interest in a reasonable discussion.
Actually, the term "genital mutilation" is a proper term and is excepted around the world. When we talk about circumcision, we are generally talking about boys. Genital mutilation refers to the act of surgically for either. Since it has been widely accepted as barbaric and actually been outlawed to remove even just skin from a girl, the general term is less commonly used for our current cultural trends, though it is more often for other countries. However, it is the proper term for it. Such differences can be seen in terms such as c-section and cesarean. Two terms meaning the same thing for the same.

The specific meaning of genital mutilation is: The cutting or excision of all or some of the genital organs.

I am sorry that you have been ill informed. I hope this clears that up.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,323,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Me too, especially that the OP has been over this in the Great Debates forum, and no one has responded to her last post, meaning, everyone's quite burned out from the obvious impasse. Not being satisfied with that, a new thread has been started here.
It has nothing to do with satisfaction. I'm sick of the debate myself. It was the first time I had ever seen information and I thought that other parents might be interested in knowing.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,912,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Actually, the term "genital mutilation" is a proper term and is excepted around the world. When we talk about circumcision, we are generally talking about boys. Genital mutilation refers to the act of surgically for either. Since it has been widely accepted as barbaric and actually been outlawed to remove even just skin from a girl, the general term is less commonly used for our current cultural trends, though it is more often for other countries. However, it is the proper term for it. Such differences can be seen in terms such as c-section and cesarean. Two terms meaning the same thing for the same.

The specific meaning of genital mutilation is: The cutting or excision of all or some of the genital organs.

I am sorry that you have been ill informed. I hope this clears that up.
I don't believe this poster was ill-informed. If you check health/medical resources such as the World Health Organization, there is no reference at all to circumcision as genital mutilation - although female circumcision involving the excision of genital organs is routinely described as genital mutilation, perhaps due to the logic behind female circumcision. Use of the term genital mutilation is culturally and socially loaded at this point and suggests that those who use the term have an agenda.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter - every reputable medical source in the US states that while no longer considered medically necessary, circumcision is currently at the discretion of the parents and carries both benefits and risks. From the American Academy of Pediatrics:

"Scientific studies show some medical benefits of circumcision. However, these benefits are not sufficient for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) to recommend that all infant boys be circumcised. Because circumcision is not essential to a child's health, parents should choose what is best for their child by looking at the benefits and risks. Circumcision may be more risky if done later in life, so parents should decide before or soon after their son is born if they want it done."

To pretend that the terms circumcision and genital mutilation are synonymous is disingenuous at best. Glad I could help clear up some misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting