Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:00 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times

Advertisements

I was out on the debate board and was doing research for the debate up there. I'm NOT trying to debate but I did come across some shocking information that I thought you all, on either side of the opinion, might find interesting. I cut out the debating part of my post.

Ok, so trying to find out how must doctors make anually on circumcision led me to this site.

The Daily Orange (http://www.dailyorange.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticle&ustory_id=4baf46ae-1b51-40ed-ba16-23645798c1a3 - broken link)

Quote:
Hospitals and doctors make a fortune from this surgery as it is a multi-million dollar industry. The foreskin is highly sought-after by the biomedical industry as it is made up of vast amounts of sensory nerves that contribute to enhanced sexual pleasure.
Here is another that makes reference to that and it has quite a few other links.
Men's Health, July-August 1998

One link (Separated at Birth: Did Circumcision Ruin Your Sex Life?) quoted a 26 year old man who was convinced by a doctor to get a circumcision.

Quote:
I had ample sexual experience, and I was quite happy as an intact male,” says Rick Thomas, who was circumcised on advice of his doctor at age 26. “After my circumcision, that pleasure was utterly gone. On a scale of 10, the uncircumcised penis experiences pleasure of at least 11 or 12; the circumcised penis is lucky to get to 3. If men who were circumcised at birth knew the loss of pleasure they would experience, they would storm the hospitals and not permit their sons to undergo this.”
and
Quote:
“You’re more likely to be struck by lightning than to suffer from penile cancer,” counters Dr. Van Howe. “Japan, Norway, Finland, and Denmark all have lower rates than the United States, and they don’t circumcise their boys.”
And when I didn't think it could get any more disgusting....
Quote:
Recreational/Erotic/Fetish Circumcision

would like to circumcise an adult. I have a fantasy to circumcise a guy who lost his foreskin in a bet ... or to forcefully circumcise a man. Any way to get the Tara Klamps in the States? Any uncut willing to let me circumcise him? I would one day like to have a jar full of foreskins I circumcised off guys.
and I would not dare to post the others, let alone read any more past the first two.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/fetish-c.htm ...if you dare to.

Ok, so finally to the links about foreskins for sale.

Quote:
Foreskins For Sale
"Parents should be wary of anyone who tries to retract their child's foreskin, and especially wary of anyone who wants to cut it off. Human foreskins are in great demand for any number of commercial enterprises, and the marketing of purloined baby foreskins is a multimillion-dollar-a-year industry."
WHY??? you ask....

Quote:
The after market for human foreskin is where the real money is made. Foreskins are sold to biomedical companies, which use them in the manufacture of insulin. They're also sold to middlemen, who package them for sale to research companies that in turn use them for biochemical analysis. Corporations such as Advanced Tissue Sciences (ATS), Organogenesis, BioSurface Technology, Genzyme, and Ortec International are taking cells from amputated foreskins and experimenting with artificial skin. Products like Dermagraft-TC, which sells for about $3,000 per square foot, are grown from the cells in infant foreskins and used as a temporary wound covering for burn patients. One foreskin contains enough genetic material to grow 250,000 square feet of skin.
Is this why we are all over Africa suddenly mass circumcisizing the less educated on the ruse that it will prevent AIDS??? (again...education over mutilation)

I'm typing and quoting as I skim the article and this little tidbit just grabbed my attention:

Quote:
One educated nurse from San Antonio told me they have to save infants' amputated foreskins because the hospital's Department of Oral Surgery uses them for reconstructive surgery of the inner lining of the mouth!
Quote:
NOCIRC's attorney was given just five minutes to speak to the Committee in defense of the babies whose foreskins are cut off a marketed without their consent.
Quote:
How much does one infant foreskin sell for? (I received an email January 1997 from someone who prefers to remain anonymous who said that the going rate for infant foreskins at a large hospital in the greater San Diego area was $35 each -- and that "ethical" doctors deducted that amount from their circumcision fees.)
Ok, if there are 3,000 circumcision done each day in the US, that equals...$105,000 each year. Times that by 365 days and we have.....$38,325,000 each year. Now how much do we pay them to cut them off before they run off and make more profit....if we go with $300 per circ....that is $900,000 per day. Again, times 365 that equals, $328,500,000 anually. Ok, let us add those two together....$366,825,000 EVERY year!

BUT WAIT! 1 in every 500 equals six messed up circumcisions every day in the US. That is 2,190 messed up circumcisions each year. How much do they make fixing them? I bet alot more than they were paid to do the circumcision PLUS the $35 they sold it for.

Excluding those, let me see....companies turn around and make 250,000 square feet of skin from it at $3,000 per square foot. For those that don't know the math....that is $750,000,000 per foreskin. Each day that makes some company, $2,250,000,000,000. Each year that makes them....$821,250,000,000,000.

That is BIG money. To scale it down to the little infant in YOUR arms.

First you pay the doctor.............$300
He sells it for .............................$35
The later turn around is...$750,000,000
The total made..............$750,000,335

But by the time your child is 18 the hospital will already have made...$6,602,850,000 (and some other companies a maximum potential of $14,784,500,000, 000, 000)

---------
As I posted in my previous thread, these numbers are max potentials and don't state actual numbers as there are multiple uses and dollar values for foreskin.

Anyway, thought you all might find this interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 02:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Can I buy one and have it re-implemented to myself?

What?!

Sorry, just think this thread is a little bit of a joke.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I think it's a joke. How about questioning ear piercing costs? It amazes me how many mothers will mutilate a girl infant by piercing ears and think nothing of it. Or how much tattoo artists make, or how much doctors make on flu shots.

An older child or person that is circumcized is circumcized for medical reasons.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:22 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
I'm having a Deja Vu...don't we already have this thread somewhere?

Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Yeah.... it come up every so often.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I'd never heard most of that! The only thing our first pediatrician did right IMO was to advise us against circumcision. We didn't circumcise either of our boys. No regrets so far. The doc didn't completely advise against it. He just said there is no medical reason for it.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times
It was not meant to be a joke. Someone had said that circumcision is a multi million dollar business and I thought, "It can't be that big." So I went to see how much and found out that they sold foreskins to other companies that make big bucks off of them. It was completely shocked.

I do question piercing ears of little girls as they are not old enough to give their consent. I have asked DD during conversation if that is something she was interested in and she has told me no, which validated the push back I gave family for disagreeing with them. My sis even offered to pay for it and basically told me I was nuts for not doing it. Stupid. I Can't bring myself to compare ear lobes with genitals. As far as cost, I was pointing out that a child does not get any say, or any part of the profit for the selling of a piece of his body. I guess you could say the same about an aborted fetus.

To me, the making of money off without the knowledge or consent of their patient, or parents, is worse than the circumcision. It's just shocking.

rkb, its good to hear your doctor gave you a non-biased opinion. After our first son was born, our doctor pressured us. We already had suspision that he had likely got my legal rights taken away as I had refused a medically unnecessary csection and DH had overheard a comment suggesting it that he told a nurse in the hallway and he made some unusal comments that left us uneasy after DS was born so I absolutely refused to let DS out of my room.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
rkb, its good to hear your doctor gave you a non-biased opinion. After our first son was born, our doctor pressured us. We already had suspision that he had likely got my legal rights taken away as I had refused a medically unnecessary csection and DH had overheard a comment suggesting it that he told a nurse in the hallway and he made some unusal comments that left us uneasy after DS was born so I absolutely refused to let DS out of my room.
This doesn't make any sense...

Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
From a completely medically un-related perspective, I much prefer the circumcised penis rather than the uncircumcised. And yes, I've tried both. Sorry dudes

Old 10-19-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
From a completely medically un-related perspective, I much prefer the circumcised penis rather than the uncircumcised. And yes, I've tried both. Sorry dudes
Its ok, I've never missed the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting