Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 AM

8 posts, read 31,733 times

Advertisements

My four year old single child has developed a bad habit of sneaking things. I constantly catch her with things behind her back trying to slink by me with an innocent look on her face. Most often these items are any type of scissors to cut her hair with in additon to pens, crayons, or markers that she plans to take out of my line of sight and color on walls with.

I've tried putting her in the corner and removing 'privledges' but she has proven that she is still too young to understand this and neither is helping. I've also tried keeping her busy with activities from home made play dough to at the park play groups. These activities really seem to engage her but the moment I turn my back to make dinner, read the news paper, or answer the phone... I'm developing eyes in the back of my head and I honestly don't want to feel like the badguy when I think I'll be doing enough of that when she becomes a teenager.

In addition, if any of you know of alternative home methods of removing crayon from walls I would greatly appreciate you sharing the information! I've tried the magic eraser pads they work on some of the marks but not all and my mother told me to try toothpaste but I felt it made a bigger mess than an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
My daughter colored on the walls once. She didn't know it was wrong, so she didn't try to hide it.

However, I told her that she didn't ask if she could color on *my* walls, and I didn't like the color. Then I gave her a sponge and some warm water and asked her to clean it off.

She has never colored on walls since.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:52 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Those AWESOME Magic Erasers are great and will get crayon off the wall. You can find them at any grocery store where household cleaners are located.

Try putting all of the things she is finding like scissors, crayons, markers and such in a box that locks. Find one of the boxes used for scrapbooking and art supplies and that can accomodate a lock. She WILL find something else to sneak but at least you can get rid of the stuff that can be destructive. Just NEVER put the scissors up high where she might be tempted to climb for them. There was a story last year that a little girl had climbed up to get the scissors out of a top cabinet or top of the fridge. She fell and the scissors stabbed her in the neck. It was not a good outcome So don't be tempted to do that. A box that you can store these things in that can be locked and is NOT up high is your best bet.

As for what she will want to try and sneak next......... anyones guess. Food is one thing some kids will try and sneak. I've threatened to put a lock on our fridge and pantry.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Isn't there paint you can apply to a wall that makes it a chalkboard? Giver her her own wall and chalk. Mount a large drawing pad on "her" wall. Lock away any other writing/marking instruments.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Isn't there paint you can apply to a wall that makes it a chalkboard? Giver her her own wall and chalk. Mount a large drawing pad on "her" wall. Lock away any other writing/marking instruments.
I was going to recommend this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Then I gave her a sponge and some warm water and asked her to clean it off.
Perfect punishment for the crime! Cleaning up one's own mess is very effective!

To the OP, dont' think for a minute that your daughter is too young to understand! She most definitely understands---that's why she's sneaking!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,521 times
the problem with the cleanup is if they are anything like my son, they actually like the cleaning part

my suggestion is to just keep all of those things out of reach and locked away and explain to her that certain things are not for drawing/painting on. Let her paint and cut more at the table, chalk outside, buy her an easel, etc.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 31,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was going to recommend this!

Perfect punishment for the crime! Cleaning up one's own mess is very effective!

To the OP, dont' think for a minute that your daughter is too young to understand! She most definitely understands---that's why she's sneaking!
Hopes, that's what I'm afraid of the fact that she's only four and willfully sneaking and knowing it's bad while doing it. I never did anything like it as a child, was always afraid of getting in trouble.

Great idea with the chalkboard though, I wish I could do that but we rent!

Should I wait till she does it again or do you think having her scrub existing spots would be beneficial lol Whats the statute of limitations on crayon capers?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 AM

141 posts, read 429,421 times
I agree Hopes... The sneaking also makes it fun for her. She knows..

Crayola makes a paint that is meant to be written on. (try Home Depot) its not outrageously priced but if you can't slow her down you'll be re-painting all over.
My two year old is at this stage..aarrgh

It was suggested to me but my little one isn't quite old enough yet: Make your daughter's "work" important. Buy her a binder or portfolio, let her decorate it and tell her its where her art and "work' go at, then have her show it to anyone who will stand still long enough. This may cut back on the projects she tries on her own.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Those AWESOME Magic Erasers are great and will get crayon off the wall..
This is assuming you have good paint on your walls to start with.

Our new house has flat wall paint that is not friendly to things like the magic eraser. Any time we try to clean things like crayon or just general scuffs it takes the paint off the wall and/or leaves a smudge.

Now if you had a good quality paint job on your walls with something like a satin or eggshell finish premium paint it cleans up very nicely.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:30 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
I think four years old is old enough for most children to understand a little talk about "sneakiness" itself. After that, I would spank a little (I know everyone doesn't agree with that, but I would) if she disobeyed again. Or I would make the consequences "hurt" enough that she got the idea. I also like the idea of giving her an area to color on where she can color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting