Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times

Advertisements

In this time of widespread flu, do you remind your kids to cough into a tissue or their arm?

There is alittle boy at our bus stop in the 4th grade who has been out for about 5 days, he was back this morning and coughing but wasn't covering his mouth. I understand he is a child but his mother was right there and she never said anything. I remind my kids when we are in public because I am pretty sure most people would rather not have the germs that can be spread around. Maybe I am just to anal but would rather my kids not get sick and prevention goes along way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
If the boy has been out of school for five days, he's not contagious anymore. The cough lasts for weeks after a person is contagious for this flu.

The fever is the important factor. People are to stay home for 24 hours after their fever breaks.

So, this boy's coughing might be annoying you, but he's not infecting your children.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If the boy has been out of school for five days, he's not contagious anymore. The cough lasts for weeks after a person is contagious for this flu.

The fever is the important factor. People are to stay home for 24 hours after their fever breaks.

So, this boy's coughing might be annoying you, but he's not infecting your children.
Actually according to several different articles in regards to the H1N1 there is a chance they are still contagious until the cough stops. So the boy could still be infecting my child. H1N1 Spreads Long after Fever Stops - CBS News

CBS news was not the only news to print this story. Since the medical community is reporting there is still alot of unknowns in regards to H1N1 I am not taking any chances with my kids or myself and will attempt to keep them away from other children that are coughing.

My question was directed more at whether or not as parents we are advising our children to be careful when coughing. You never know when you cough if someone is around who has serious underlying health issues and your coughing could give them something, and if you had only practiced good hygene they might have not gotten sick. I only used this child as an example of parents not advising their children.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
I constantly have to remind my boys to cough into their arms...they looked at me like I was nuts until the entire house came down with cold/flu last month. Now they are very vigilant about making sure they cover their coughs.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I constantly have to remind my boys to cough into their arms...they looked at me like I was nuts until the entire house came down with cold/flu last month. Now they are very vigilant about making sure they cover their coughs.

I am like you my boys have to be reminded but if I am with them and they are coughing they are told to cover their mouth, this Mom just stood there. I think I am turning into a germaphobe.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Just curious. Have you vacinated your children for N1H1?

The children are the main target of the vacination pogram because they are the ones who spread the virus throughout the community.

Just thought it was worth discussion. If you are concerned about preventing the spread of illness, I'd hope you would support vaccinating your children.

Recongize that people feel the same way about parents who don't vaccinate their children as you feel about parents who don't teach their children to cover their cough.

For the record, I did teach my son to cover his cough, but I've never been judgemental of children who didn't.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,932 times
I remind my kids to cough into their arms (elbow area) also but after hearing the cough for a week and half or so, sometimes I don't even notice they are coughing, so sometimes I may well be one of those inconsiderates that let my kids spew germs onto everyone else.

On a side note about coughing. My DS has always had a loud barky cough, I've had him to the Drs. many times over this and the most they can come up with is mild asthma. The looks we get, when we are in public and he starts coughing, are crazy. People look at us like we brought him out with the plague or something. Which always irrated me a little because I never take them out when they are in the middle of a cold, but a cough here will last 3 weeks or more, long after all the other symptoms are gone.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just curious. Have you vacinated your children for N1H1?

The children are the main target of the vacination pogram because they are the ones who spread the virus throughout the community.

Just thought it was worth discussion. If you are concerned about preventing the spread of illness, I'd hope you would support vaccinating your children.

Recongize that people feel the same way about parents who don't vaccinate their children as you feel about parents who don't teach their children to cover their cough.

For the record, I did teach my son to cover his cough, but I've never been judgemental of children who didn't.

No, I haven't as it is not available right now where we are at and we are headed back to our home state where it is not available to "healthy" children right now no matter their ages.

I wasn't being judgemental of the child but more of the mother. I understand children cannot be expected to remember to cover their cough just like they don't understand the full implications of spreading germs but parents should know. If anyone is watching television, reading papers or on the internet then they have seen all the warnings to help prevent the spread of diseases. I also understand that it can get monotonous to keep reminding them but until vaccines are widely available we need to do what we can to prevent the spread of germs.

Of course why I would expect people to be responsible and thoughtful is beyond me, when I see adults everyday coughing and not covering their mouths, I guess their children wouldn't know to cover theirs either.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:28 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,336 times
I remind not only my kids but all the kids in my class at least a million times a week. I have gone to telling them to "dracula cough". (coughing into your elbow reminds me of dracula pulling his cape across his face.) That actually made the kids laugh enough to make them remember to do it.

Trust me though...as a teacher I can tell you that there are all kinds of parents. Some of them simply do not care if your kid gets their kid's cold. I have heard moms say, "well, my kid got it from someone else". Like that excuses you for sending your sick child to school!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Because some people just don't care.

Some think that this is all a scam set up by pharmacy companies.

Others are complacent b/c in their bubble, getting sick never "has" happened to them.

And finally, some people are just rude & could care less what their children do.

There is a huge story in my hometown of a 3rd grader who was hospitalized all last week for H1N1 after supposedly contracting it from a boy in her class. The nurse and then the principle asked the boy's mother to pick him up two days in a row due to his symptons and the mother refused. She's also been interviewed. She's a piece of work. Who knows if for sure it was her son who infected the other student, but wow, she showed not one ounce of care or concern. It was & is mindblogging. Her words exactly "I'm not at school to see if he uses a tissue. The teacher should make sure he uses a tissue & covers his nose. How can I? I gave her a box of tissues at the beginning of the school year. Did she give them to my son? He says no."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting