Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am an adult.

if i need to say a curse word in front of my parents, i will.
After all, isnt that one of the perks about being an adult.

BTW, I am an old adult, and I think at this point my parents could care less.

my sons are not big cursers either, amazing as that may be, but we really werent a big F bomb type of family...
maybe in anger, not everyday descriptive.

So I guess having respect for the elderly just goes out the window because your an adult.
If my mother were to ask me to not curse, I'd do it because I have respect for her, being an adult has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
So I guess having respect for the elderly just goes out the window because your an adult.
If my mother were to ask me to not curse, I'd do it because I have respect for her, being an adult has nothing to do with it.

yup, right out the window.

you missed the whole point.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
So I guess having respect for the elderly just goes out the window because you're an adult.
Hello. My mother does not use the "f" word and never has. I will not speak that way in front of her. She's 84 years old and comes from an era when that language wasn't thrown around the way we do now (and I do use those words with my friends).

As you said, respect doesn't end because yulk yulk look-at-me, I'm a big adult now. I also expect my 21-year-old daughter to not curse in front of Grandma, and she does not. I also have reprimanded my adult niece for using the "f" word in front of her grandmother. She should know better, but my brother is dead so I don't mind stepping in to remind her to grow up and have some respect.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hello. My mother does not use the "f" word and never has. I will not speak that way in front of her. She's 84 years old and comes from an era when that language wasn't thrown around the way we do now (and I do use those words with my friends).

As you said, respect doesn't end because yulk yulk look-at-me, I'm a big adult now. I also expect my 21-year-old daughter to not curse in front of Grandma, and she does not. I also have reprimanded my adult niece for using the "f" word in front of her grandmother. She should know better, but my brother is dead so I don't mind stepping in to remind her to grow up and have some respect.
it means you are an adult and you are free to choose the words you want. I get you, i wouldnt want my children cursing in front of granny either. But from time to time it happens. Cursing is only words.

I have a BIL that hates cursing, and that's fine. But do you know how annoying it gets when there are a bunch of adults having a conversation and you have to constantly watch yourself that you don't say a curse word in front of him??, Well I find it freaking annoying. Again, I am not a big curser, but sometimes the word fits, and No, as an adult I don't want to have to watch my mouth, and as an adult, I shouldn't have to.

people curse, get over it.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
I don't believe there are such things as "bad" words (or good ones)--every word has its usefulness at one time or another. But people who casually curse every other sentence just sound trashy, like they have a poor vocabulary and don't know how else to express themselves.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
it means you are an adult and you are free to choose the words you want. I get you, i wouldnt want my children cursing in front of granny either. But from time to time it happens. Cursing is only words.

I have a BIL that hates cursing, and that's fine. But do you know how annoying it gets when there are a bunch of adults having a conversation and you have to constantly watch yourself that you don't say a curse word in front of him??, Well I find it freaking annoying. Again, I am not a big curser, but sometimes the word fits, and No, as an adult I don't want to have to watch my mouth, and as an adult, I shouldn't have to.

people curse, get over it.

^^^Sorry, but I still would not curse in front of my mother or any other elderly person I know who has mostly lived in an age when such language was considered rude and sneer at them to get over it. If you did it, I wouldn't say anything to you, but I'd think you were low class for your lack of respect to the elderly. Yes, I know you don't care what anyone thinks, you made that plain. But, I'd still think it!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^^^Sorry, but I still would not curse in front of my mother or any other elderly person I know who has mostly lived in an age when such language was considered rude and sneer at them to get over it. If you did it, I wouldn't say anything to you, but I'd think you were low class for your lack of respect to the elderly. Yes, I know you don't care what anyone thinks, you made that plain. But, I'd still think it!

I have also stated that I am not a big curser, but from time to time it does come out, I would say mainly in anger.

But if I was having a conversation with your mother or grandmother, you would have nothing to worry about, there obviously would be no need for the f-bomb to be blurted out, thus we could have a pleaseant conversation.

BTW, I know a lot of elderly church going ladies in my neighborhood, that could make a sailor blush.... just sayin.

and i do agree with you, cursing is low class, especially when it is used in every sentence, un necessarily.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

BTW, I know a lot of elderly church going ladies in my neighborhood, that could make a sailor blush.... just sayin.
Really? I so need to visit Brooklyn some day!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
There's "cursing" and there's "cursing". Hell, damn, pissed off, crap, b.i.t.c.h, fart, etc were once considered terrible curse words but now are in regular vernacular all over society as well as TV. I have a 31 yo son who drops the F bomb as easy as any word in his vocabulary. We still have young children at home and I have to remind him to clean up his mouth every time he comes home for a visit. it is so second nature to him he doesn't even realize he uses the word as much as he does, especially if he is really ranting about something. Still I don't allow it even though there are time I wish I could. So far I've refrained but after you hear a word so frequently you start to think it is just a regular word like all the words i first mentioned.

I think it's funny that b.i.t.c.h which is a proper word can't be typed on CD.
Sadly George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words routine is no longer available on you tube but a complete transcript is available.
http://www.openculture.com/2012/08/g...s_routine.html

Last edited by no kudzu; 01-04-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I have also stated that I am not a big curser, but from time to time it does come out, I would say mainly in anger.

But if I was having a conversation with your mother or grandmother, you would have nothing to worry about, there obviously would be no need for the f-bomb to be blurted out, thus we could have a pleaseant conversation.

and i do agree with you, cursing is low class, especially when it is used in every sentence, un necessarily.
Ah, I do curse myself. I have one particular favorite multi-syllablic work that starts with a "c" that I say all the time when I drop things or when inanimate objects turn against me and do things that make me angry. As a matter of fact, in a few minutes I am going to go outside and put license plates on my car, which I've never had to do before, and since I have limited tools and am hoping I can do it with what I have, I am sure I will be using that word today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting