Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

One of our 7 year old daughters has been waking up several times a night for the past 4 nights with bad dreams.
Here's the story:
The first night it happened I had gotten in a teasing spot with her about her not letting me pull her 2nd front tooth which was hanging from a thread. I was afraid she would swallow it in her sleep or at school. She got upset and started crying right before bed-a very unusual occurance at our house. That night she was awakend twice with bad dreams and I blamed it on myself .
The 2nd night she had a fever of 102 and I gave her some med. So I chalked it up to the fever or the med.
I kept her home from school for 2 days and she was feeling so much better with no fever for 24 hours yet she is still up at night with bad dreams. She finally let her daddy pull her tooth and was quite proud of her bravery, is all well, returned to school and all seemed normal but she is still having bad dreams.

We don't let her watch inappropriate TV, are careful to not talk about swine flu around her when she was sick. She excells in school and was not worried about missing school work.
So what is happening? Does this have anything to do with loosing a tooth? She's already lost 4 so what's the big deal?
Thanks for any insight. She is our 7th child so I've had some experience with kids but never with running nightmares at this age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,093 times
Maybe its all a coincidence? Try reading to her every night before bed.. My mom used to read a chapter or such of one of the little house on the prairie books to my sister and I before bed at that age. Helps give them something good to think about as they're falling asleep, which promotes good dreams.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
How are things going at school? At 7, that's what's new in her life.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:12 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
Have you asked her what the dreams were about? Listen carefully and it may give you a clue.

I don't want to be dramatic but I always worry for girls that there might be a touching incident that might make them uncomfortable which I would ask about. Kids are so innocent and vulnerable.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:24 AM

Why just girls? Boys have a similar risk!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times
Their imaginations really get powerful about that age. I chalk it up to "normal development".

Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
we have always read to them at night but thanks for the suggestion. She's great in school and was not anxious about missing school, was not able to remember her dreams and there is nobody around her who might take advantage-in other words nothing different going on in her life. I'm gonna watch and listen and hope it is normal development and coincidence. It might be some halloween craziness as some neighbors have skeletons and spiders decorating their homes which we have never seen before . I'll ask her if that bothers her. That's all I can think of right now.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It might be some halloween craziness as some neighbors have skeletons and spiders decorating their homes which we have never seen before .
You've never seen Halloween decorations before?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:52 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
dreams are the clue here....what is the dream about? is it recurring or do they have similar themes?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:58 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,408,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
we have always read to them at night but thanks for the suggestion. She's great in school and was not anxious about missing school, was not able to remember her dreams and there is nobody around her who might take advantage-in other words nothing different going on in her life. I'm gonna watch and listen and hope it is normal development and coincidence. It might be some halloween craziness as some neighbors have skeletons and spiders decorating their homes which we have never seen before . I'll ask her if that bothers her. That's all I can think of right now.
My son went through a similar experience when he was eight. I don't know what triggered it but he was suddenly afraid he was going to die in his sleep After 2 nights of screams and night terrors, I put a night monitor in his room (didn't tell him what it was)and I was alerted the next night when he was just getting into the dream cycle. I was able to wake him up before it got too bad. We talked for all of 30 seconds (just long enough to let him know I was there and wasn't going to let anything happen to him) and he drifted back off. He went back to sleep & thankfully that was the end of it. I have a feeling that your daughter is probably reacting to something she heard or saw that has triggered this. It will probably go away by itself but wanted to share what I did with my son. (who is now 29 btw If he is still having night terrors....he is on his own!)

Last edited by Va-Cat; 10-30-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting