Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times

Advertisements

My son is having his 16th birthday party and I want to get some ideas on what to call it on the invites. It is going to be here Pump It Up | Kids Birthday Party | Indoor | Inflatable | Jumping Party | Children's Bounce Party

It may look like a place for younger kids, but he went with a teen youth group one night and they loved it. College groups even rent it out.

It will be a night time party and he can put together a play list on his IPOD, they turn down the lights, hand out glow necklaces, blast the music and it's like a bouncehouse nightclub.

They have invites, but I want to give the event a name. "Sweet" as in Napoleon Dynamite is one option, but I don't think it will come off in print and that is a pretty old movie, so he would probably not go for it.

Maybe some play on the words Pump It Up....

Ideas?

He'll be inviting his whole class and about ten others and teen events tend to grow in numbers once the word gets out. I was thinking of having a doorman check the guest list (and required waivers) at the door. Make it like a nightclub, with the "list". Would teens consider this stupid? My fear is that the invite will become viral through his Facebook and too many will show up. It will be RSVP, but you know how that goes.....

More ideas?!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,415 times
What till he,s 21. I never heard of a Sweet 16 party for a boy. I think you and him may be setting him up for a world of ridicule throughout the rest of his H.S years.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
I have a 16 yo son and the only Sweet 16 party he's been invited to have been girls....This actually came up in recent discussions with friends who have boys the same age...One of the boys (who goes to a different school) had been invited to several (one of which was in one of those "bounce" places). The other moms I was with all have sons who attend the same school as my son and none of us had ever heard of such a thing. So I think it just depends....If I were having a party for a 16 yo boy -I personally wouldn't make it too "gimmicky" - embarrassment potential does increase in direct proportion to gimmicks IMO...

Old 11-05-2009, 02:14 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,104 times
How does your son feel about this? He does want the party right? I would be ok with it, and sounds kinda cool. I know "sweet 16" is usually for girls but who says a 16 year old boy can't have a birthday party too? I also like idea of kinda poking fun at that by having te invits say "sweet".

Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I'd ditch the "Sweet 16" thing ... that's for girls. I do think themes are cool--but what do I know? I'm a mom, so anything I think is cool is usually rejected by my teenager. Anyway, you could call it a House of Pain party, as in "Come to Justin's House of Pain this Saturday." House of Pain is a band that plays a very popular song you may have heard ("Jump Around"), and it kind of goes with the bounce house location. And you'll probably have a few roughhousing boys crash into one another and have a REAL house of pain, too.

Last edited by JustJulia; 11-05-2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
From a father of 3 sons who were once teens: Drop the sweet and who cares if the other teens think "the list" is stupid.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
I never heard of a Sweet 16 party for a boy. I think you and him may be setting him up for a world of ridicule throughout the rest of his H.S years.
I agree! Seriously rethink calling it a sweet 16 party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
They have invites, but I want to give the event a name. "Sweet" as in Napoleon Dynamite is one option, but I don't think it will come off in print and that is a pretty old movie, so he would probably not go for it.
Stay away from SWEET or anything feminine.

There's nothing wrong with having a birthday party for a teenage boy. Many teenage boys have birthday parties.

You just need to stop thinking of it as a SWEET 16 PARTY!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
I am not going to call it a sweet 16 party! I was gigging him telling him that is what it is. Sorry, sick jokes don't come across well online. If Napoleon D. was current, then, maybe, but only with his okay!

I like the House of Pain idea and will run it by him.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I am not going to call it a sweet 16 party! I was gigging him telling him that is what it is. Sorry, sick jokes don't come across well online.
There are just some things you don't tease teenage boys about.....

Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,174 times
I'd be careful not to call it anything close to pumping up the party or it will sound like the Hannah Montana song and drive the kids away. Nightclub sounds older and more attractive to teens. Maybe your son's name and nightclub; for ex. Nick's Nightclub or Jim's Nightclub Birthday Bash

Do you have to have a name? Maybe you could just list the date, time, place and the fact you are celebrating his birthday and add an inflatable bounce room will be available.

We had a surprise party for our son's 16th and it went really well. Good luck - it sounds like it will be a lot of fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting