Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
It's not our government's fault that most people would rather watch Fox News than read the weekly updates on the CDC website, but if anybody is so inclined, here is the H1N1 web page:

CDC 2009 H1N1 Flu

The information presented there seems pretty transparent to me. The website includes information about symptoms, infection prevention, incidence, anti-viral medications, and the vaccine, among other things. What more do you want to know?

Personally, I don't care whether or not you are vaccinated, but I find it distressing that you are perpetuating the idea that there is some great conspiracy to keep the public in the dark. That's simply not true. The information is available from reputable sources for those who seek it. If you choose to put more stock in dubious media reports, well, I don't know what to say.
Exactly what has the CDC done for Americans when we are the country with the highest number of deaths from this flu? China has had one death, the entire Middle East has had far fewer deaths or flu cases. Exactly why would you put all your faith in the CDC which has not been able to do anything but track it? They sure didn't stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 05:11 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,058,185 times
There are a number of reasons why the death rate associated with H1N1 appears higher in the U.S. than in many other countries*, but the one that jumps out at me is the possibility that we have much better reporting than other nations. In countries with lower rates, it's quite possible that deaths following H1N1 infection may have been reported as pneumonia, since secondary infection is the usual cause of flu-related mortality.

* It is not true that the U.S. has the highest death rate. As of 11/09/09, the U.S. is 29th with a death rate per reported infection of 1 in 51. Of note, Brazil has a death rate of 1 in 14.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 11-15-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,517,818 times
Quote:
There are a number of reasons why the death rate associated with H1N1 appears higher in the U.S. than in many other countries*, but the one that jumps out at me is the possibility that we have much better reporting than other nations. In countries with lower rates, it's quite possible that deaths following H1N1 infection may have been reported as pneumonia, since secondary infection is the usual cause of flu-related mortality.

* It is not true that the U.S. has the highest death rate. As of 11/09/09, the U.S. is 29th with a death rate per reported infection of 1 in 51. Of note, Brazil has a death rate of 1 in 14.
What, China doesn't report human welfare issues like the US?
China, the country that has imposed a "only one child" policy and punishment for those who do not follow are such things as imposing fines of as much as 8x's the annual household income, destroying a family's home, or forcing termination of the pregnancy.

China.

Yeah, b/c they are high up on the list of practicing human rights

Let's start listing such countries as Mexico, China, the Middle East. Then let's talk about their health care and physical enviroment. Then let's chat about their government.

I'm not saying "jump" when the CDC says "jump" but really, to say that the numbers are made up and that "China" only has "one" death....

What's the child mortality rate from a simple cold in such places as China, Mexico, Bangledesh?

We are in no way superior than those who live in such countries as China, but again, ***** & complain and read all the alternative or all the pros...and then take a few minutes to realize just how damn lucky you are that you even have CHOICE & even different viewpoints to read.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
What, China doesn't report human welfare issues like the US?
China, the country that has imposed a "only one child" policy and punishment for those who do not follow are such things as imposing fines of as much as 8x's the annual household income, destroying a family's home, or forcing termination of the pregnancy.

China.

Yeah, b/c they are high up on the list of practicing human rights

Let's start listing such countries as Mexico, China, the Middle East. Then let's talk about their health care and physical enviroment. Then let's chat about their government.

I'm not saying "jump" when the CDC says "jump" but really, to say that the numbers are made up and that "China" only has "one" death....

We are in no way superior than those who live in such countries as China, but again, ***** & complain and read all the alternative or all the pros...and then take a few minutes to realize just how damn lucky you are that you even have CHOICE.
Was that supposed to make sense? For the life of me, I can't figure what anything you wrote has to do with my post. Where did I imply that numbers are made up? For that matter, when did I refer to China? My point was simply that data collection standards may vary by nation.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 11-15-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,517,818 times
Quote:
Was that supposed to make sense? For the life of me, I can't figure what anything you wrote has to do with my post. Where did I imply that numbers are made up? For that matter, when did I refer to China? My point was simply that data collection standards may vary by nation.
I was agreeing with you and stating that when some say numbers are being fabricated by the US government in order for pharm co's to make a profit...and then using Communist countries that are known for violating about every human rights law (thus, do you really think they are being truthful with their numbers??) to compare to....it makes no sense.

I have no idea what the numbers are nor do they really matter to me. I just don't feel some are sitting around rolling dice at their desks, taking a sip of coffee and saying "Huh, think it should 4,000 or 2,376? What number will created the most panic?"

Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 AM

I get it now. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:41 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,055,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
All I know is...things like H1N1 and HIV and autism...these things don't just come from thin air. I find it mighty funny that we can create a "Vaccine" for H1N1, but still don't have a viable one for HIV or autism. I also find it mighty funny that some believe that vaccines are partly responsible for autism.
H1N1, HIV, and autism are very different medical problems which affect our bodies in different ways and must be handled differently as such. Autism and HIV in particular are still trying to be fully understood. Why would you think there could be simple shot as a cure for each thing that comes along? And the autism link is still being hotly debated. None of us have the answers for that. David Kirby: Top Autism Panel Backs Research Objectives Mentioning Vaccines -- Dueling Press Releases Ensue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting