Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 PM

242 posts, read 827,344 times

Advertisements

My son is almost 4 years old, I feel like he has been in the same clothes for almost a year. He is 32 lbs and about a year ago he was 30 lbs. He had a physical and they said he was average, but I am curious why he is not growing! All the children around us are younger then him but the same height. Is this normal? Could it be he just might be a late bloomer? Keep in mind I am 5'2 and my husband is 5'8 so it could also be possible he will just be a shorty like us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
My son is 5 and weighs 35 lbs.

Just wait - he'll have a growth spurt.

Every child is different as well. I wouldn't be too concerned, especially if the said he's average.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
I have one son who is 11 and has always grown at a very slow stead pace, so far very trim, and small for his age, probably in about the 25th percentile. I can't tell you how many times I've started to worry over it and stopped myself, because, he's healthy and bright and content, and what can I possibly do about it? And I can't tell you how many times I've heard other people say they knew kids exactly like him who are relatively late bloomers who just shoot up one year and grow 6 or more inches. And my doctor keeps saying the exact same thing. So my answer to you is that most likely your son's size is perfectly normal for him, and enjoy the fact you get more wear out of all those clothes!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbon7462 View Post
My son is almost 4 years old, I feel like he has been in the same clothes for almost a year. He is 32 lbs and about a year ago he was 30 lbs. He had a physical and they said he was average, but I am curious why he is not growing! All the children around us are younger then him but the same height. Is this normal? Could it be he just might be a late bloomer? Keep in mind I am 5'2 and my husband is 5'8 so it could also be possible he will just be a shorty like us
Wow. 4 yrs @ 32 lbs

I have a 2 yr old boy that weighed 32 lbs on his birthday....he's not fat he's just a big boy for his age. Tall and solid (he's a tough little booger....sometimes it's a regular fight to get him to do something he doesn't want to do....and sometimes he wins)

and....his older sister was the same way...

She's 4 1/2 yrs old and 42 lbs.

My wife's child is 11 yrs old and is around 75 lbs.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
IMO, you will worry yourself sick with comparisons. As long as he is eating, is healthy, and the doc isn't worried do not concern yourself. Especially given his genetics. You might talk to your MIL to see if she remembers how her son grew; that might be more indicative of what to expect regarding your son's growth pattern. (btw I have 2 boys who are 95% + in weight/height, it would just worry you more to have their stats) - relax.....

Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times
OMG OMG OMG

MY SON is 2 years and 5 months and he weighs 39 pounds. He is very tall for his age, over 100 % or something like that. He is still skinny though. Clothes that fit him a year ago still fit around his waist but are way to short.
( his granddad is 6',5'' )

Old 10-28-2008, 01:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbon7462 View Post
Did you ask the pediatrican?

Anyway, he's 4. Lots of time to have many growth spurts.

Every single child is different.

Balanced diet, exercise, and a safe & healthy home are the best things for him as a toddler.

I am sure that if there was reason to be concerned, the ped would have mentioned it.

My son is 3 & weights about 33 lbs & is just starting to wear 4Ts. My nephew is 3 weeks older than him; weights about 30 lbs & just started wearing 2Ts!

Give it time. In the meantime, relax. You'll worry yourself sick with too many comparisions at this age

Old 10-28-2008, 02:08 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
My 3-year-old is 31 pounds and 37 inches tall. I think she's average for weight and above average for height. My 17-month-old is 18 pounds and 24 inches tall. She is 25th percentile for height and her weight is maybe at the 1% mark - she's skinny! The pediatrician is worried, so we've had some blood work done and have another appointment soon. I think she's fine, as she's advancing along just fine in all other aspects. We had a month-long vacation before her last check-up and I think she must have eaten less than usual. It's hard to tell with picky children. Even so, her pediatrician wanted to run the tests.

Anyway, I'm not so worried, so don't you worry either.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:32 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
My oldest daughter is 6 and she is only 35lbs and only 39". She is not on the charts for height or weight and the dr's are not concerned at all. She doesn't look extremely thin,just little / petite.
She eats well (as well as a 6yr old eats!) and has no delays or doesnt' seem to be bothered by or struggling with her small size.

I wouldn't worry either.... as long as they are healthy!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
My 4 year old son is 40 lbs and ABOVE average for height. About the height of a 6 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting