Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I dunno where you are from/live; but that is said ALL the time around here, in usually a half joking way. I can't tell you how many times when DD was a baby we had people telling us she was so pretty, and that hopefully we had plenty of firearms for when she gets older.

It's a compliment around here, and depending on how it's used it can be a slight threat. Works beautifully for rouge teenage boys, when they want to bring your daughter home later than they should.
Becky said the gun comments were more tactful than someone simply saying the daughter was pretty.

And the gun comments have more to do with sex.

That's why I think it's an inappropriate thing to say compared to simply commenting that someone is pretty.

Saying someone is pretty doesn't necessarily mean sex. Saying that you'll need your gun to keep the guys away definitely means sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well first of all, she's 5'2 and about 80 lbs. with no chest whatsoever (and she was wearing a very slim-fitting shirt) and while her face MIGHT look old for her ago (I really don't think it does..) her size and lack of "meat" gives it away.

And secondly, just for clarification, I'm her mom
But then again, you just described what I looked like entering the 8th grade at the age of 14. I wasn't much better at age 15 either and it wasn't until 17 my physical therapist told my mother that I had..uh...filled out over the summer, thanks to my summer job. Talk about lack of tact, but we both knew what he meant, generalizing everything with the muscles I had developed. I was a very buff girl, fit girl, 140 pounds, but without an once of fat on me. I hid it all well though and no one was the wiser...except for that dreaded farmers tan.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Becky said the gun comments were more tactful than someone simply saying the daughter was pretty.

And the gun comments have more to do with sex.

That's why I think it's an inappropriate thing to say compared to simply commenting that someone is pretty.

Saying someone is pretty doesn't necessarily mean sex. Saying that you'll need your gun to keep the guys away definitely means sex.
If YOU want it to mean sex. I suppose it evolved from farm fathers chasing off boys from "his" girls from the pioneer days or something but when people say it now, it just means that there will be a lot of boys, and eventually men, noticing her. It is an innocent comment, and even a word of caution...keep an eye on that girl be there to protect her. We've heard the same thing about our sons, we'll need a shot gun to keep the girls away and to watch them to make sure they don't start up the trouble themselves.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
If YOU want it to mean sex. I suppose it evolved from farm fathers chasing off boys from "his" girls from the pioneer days or something but when people say it now, it just means that there will be a lot of boys, and eventually men, noticing her. It is an innocent comment, and even a word of caution...keep an eye on that girl be there to protect her. We've heard the same thing about our sons, we'll need a shot gun to keep the girls away and to watch them to make sure they don't start up the trouble themselves.
I feel badly that you don't realize that the gun talk means sex.

What else would the guns be protecting the children from their peers for?

What do you think 'don't start up the trouble themselves' means?

You're talking sex and you don't know it? Seriously?

Old 12-23-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I feel badly that you don't realize that the gun talk means sex.

What else would the guns be protecting the children from their peers for?

What do you think 'don't start up the trouble themselves' means?

You're talking sex and you don't know it? Seriously?
It is a very old saying that people say innocently. It symbolizes the protection a father feels for his daughters. They don't want to see their little girls hurt. You would be right in one case though. DH went to work on a farm as a teen. One the way to the farm, the man told him and his buddy to not touch his girls and threw out the shotgun comment. Well one had a kid...turns out the baby's father was also its grandfather but that didn't even come out for a year or two more after that.

As for sex, that is a thought on every parent of teens mind. They want to make sure their kids are safe from disease and don't get pregnant. But in the mean time, there is nothing wrong with someone, such as my mother in law did, with making the comment. It is innocent. You go ahead and get your panties in a bunch over it but most people aren't thinking about sex when they say it. I know that cause my sisters and I have talked about all our kids that way. Man...those dating years are doing to be full of dramatic moments, more than we want to have to prepare for. The point I was making is that it is not tactful for a store employee to be making comments like that in the earshot of the girl or her mother. I've worked with, and had to deal with myself, boys like this and it makes you wonder why their parents never taught them any class.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Grab the back of his head and smash his face into the counter or the cash register three times. If he is not bleeding, repeat as necessary. Then remind him that even thinking about a 12 year old as a sex object is or should be a crime.

It alls seems simple to me. Why do you need to ask?

alternately you could make a branding iron that says "Pervert" and brand the word onto his forehead, but that is a bit too complicated.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
Eh. Would have been a lot worse if he said she was the ugliest girl he had ever seen. Take it as a compliment and leave it at that is my opinion.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
If you're afraid people will look at her and think she is attractive, you can buy her clothes at Goodwill instead of Abercrombies.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,439 times
I'll tell you what's bad, the time I volunteered for middle school registration and was helped by a very cute Jessica Simpson look alike cheerleader. One of the male staff came up several times to "check in" with her, and I saw him giving her "the look". She was not visibly offended, but I never saw her provoking the attention. It was disgusting.

Girls who are pretty get attention as early as 12, and 18 yr olds will notice. She needs to learn how to deal with this, and as her mom you can best help her.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Grab the back of his head and smash his face into the counter or the cash register three times. If he is not bleeding, repeat as necessary. Then remind him that even thinking about a 12 year old as a sex object is or should be a crime.

It alls seems simple to me. Why do you need to ask?

alternately you could make a branding iron that says "Pervert" and brand the word onto his forehead, but that is a bit too complicated.
Ok seriously... saying in a whisper that her daughter was pretty suddenly makes him a sexual predator?

Who's to say that the guy wasn't 16, and her daughter didn't look like she was 15? The comment was very respectable; some posters here sound like maniacs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting