Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you say something?
No. It is none of my business. 30 69.77%
Only if I knew the parents well. 9 20.93%
Yes. I think her parents would want to know. 3 6.98%
Other. Please explain. 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,778 times

Advertisements

Here is the situation.
Yesterday I went to pick up my dd from pre-school. I was early and I watched through the window for a little bit. My dd's friend was wearing low rise pants and you could see her behind when she sat down. Her parents aren't the slutty type but I am not that close to them so I didn't say anything. But I am wondering if I should have said something. If my dd was wearing clothes that exposed her like that I would like to know. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,879 times
Low rise pants in preschool? Good grief. I probably would have mentioned it to them. Not in a judgmental way but something along the lines of " I just wanted you to know that I could see Jenny's behind when she sat down/ bent over (whatever) and I wanted to let you know to save her some embarrassment". If you've talked to them at all then that shouldn't seem that out of line.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
No you shouldn't have said anything. If it is bad enough to be a distraction to the class the teacher will take care of it. If it's not bad enough to be a distraction to the class, then it's just young kids being young kids and parents with difference in personal taste. Really not worth any trouble.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,017 times
If you were able to observe this from watching for a couple of minutes, the teacher undoubtedly has noticed this as well. I would stay out of it. Let the teacher handle it.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Low rise pants in preschool? Good grief.
I do not know if the pants were low rise or they just were a little too big and falling down. But what I was trying to figure out is why her underwear wasn't showing. I know when my dd wears pants that are too big I can tell because her undies are showing.
I was debating whether to say something but since it was dad who picked her up I chickened out.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Here is the situation.
Yesterday I went to pick up my dd from pre-school. I was early and I watched through the window for a little bit. My dd's friend was wearing low rise pants and you could see her behind when she sat down. Her parents aren't the slutty type but I am not that close to them so I didn't say anything. But I am wondering if I should have said something. If my dd was wearing clothes that exposed her like that I would like to know. What do you think?
The clothes might be too tight and the parents might not have money at this very moment to buy her more clothes in a bigger size.

Or perhaps they are her new clothes and she hasn't grown into them yet, and maybe they'll shrink when they're washed.

Whatever the reason, you shouldn't say anything.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
No you shouldn't have said anything. If it is bad enough to be a distraction to the class the teacher will take care of it. If it's not bad enough to be a distraction to the class, then it's just young kids being young kids and parents with difference in personal taste. Really not worth any trouble.
I was thinking that too. Since reading CD I have learned I am a little bit of a prude. I truly felt uncomfortable when I saw her but I am sure others may not see anything wrong with it. I know in gymnastics I make my dd wear stockings or leggings under her leotards but other parent's don't.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I do not know if the pants were low rise or they just were a little too big and falling down. But what I was trying to figure out is why her underwear wasn't showing. I know when my dd wears pants that are too big I can tell because her undies are showing.
Now that you're discussing underwear too, I think you're a tad too focused on the way this child is dressed.

Maybe the girl wasn't wearing any underwear. So what. It's possible that she dresses herself.

She wouldn't be the first preschooler to forget to put on underwear when dressing herself.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
I would feel the same way you do about it. That's really not appropriate dress for children (or for adults for that matter...). But, I chose no. It's up to the preschool to inform parents if they think there is something inappropriate going on. Chances are if you were able to see that through a window, the child care/preschool workers have been seeing it all day. It's their job to say something to the parents. If you really just have to say something, don't say it to the parents. Try casually mentioning something to one of the preschool teachers. "Oh, poor girl needs to pull her pants up." Or something to bring their attention to the problem.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,807 times
No, I wouldn't say anything - I've seen plumber buttocks on a 4yo in pre-school, but it was clear that the mother was trying to buy the "trendy" clothing, making her daughter a copy of herself (she was a very young mother).

I think parents can see their kids bending at home and elsewhere, too. If the pants are falling down because of being a bit too big, they are aware. Perhaps it's not a problem to some, and perhaps they were behind in their laundry. Who knows. It's not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting