Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents have the right to give their underage kids tattoos?
Yes, if the kids want them 11 37.93%
no, the kids are to young to make a decision 15 51.72%
Only if the parents are professional tattoo professionals 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:26 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There's almost no such thing as an emotionally mature 17-year-old.

Why not? Not so long ago a 17 year old would be married with children of his/her own.

The problem is that we dont expect them to be mature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,644 times
When my son was 14 all his friends were getting piercings and of course he wanted to get a lip piercing. I told him sure, but he would have to wait until I could get the money up. Well, he couldn't wait long enough and tried to pierce it himself. He had a fat lip for a week and we had to keep it clean. He has yet to bring up the subject since.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:46 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,050,220 times
The only thing I see they did wrong was when the kids wanted them, they didn't take them to a professional with sterile equipment but instead jury rigged a device and did it themselves. People have tats removed all the time so if later the kids want them gone they can (and from pics it didn't appear they were like put across their forehead or anything). But it should have been done by a professional using sterile equipment to avoid infections & discussed with biological mom IMO

Old 01-06-2010, 03:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Why not? Not so long ago a 17 year old would be married with children of his/her own.

. . . but living in an extended family, with grandparents present to make mature household decisions.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
I heard about this yesterday. I think the older kids were fine. However, the 10 year old was a bit young, even if he wanted one.

Do I think the parents should be locked up for it, nope. They aren't my kids, and unless the parents were doing against their will, its their body.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:50 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What does the military have to do with it? If being in the military validates or obliges tattoos, then the military itself is stupid. Even aside from all the other things the military does that shows that it is stupid.

A tattoo to me is a signal that a very immature person allowed a combination of peer pressure and probably mind-altering substances to persuade them to permanently mark their body with something that can do nothing for the rest of their life except be a living reminder of their childhood foolishmess.
"So are you saying that all of those that serve in the military and have tattoos are stupid?"

You still haven't answered the question..

I'll put another way for you...

So you are saying any soldier serving in the middle east that has a tattoo is stupid?

That's a Yes or No question!!!!! No need for you run in circles answering it this time....

Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
I do not think that parents should be arrested but I do not think that they aren't using good judgement.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,618,297 times
I think with the law there as it is (only professionals can tattoo and under age 18 is illegal) that there was no choice but to arrest them.

Add to that the use of a 'cleaned up' used machine combined with the same guitar string used for the needle on everyone by a non professional they clearly showed blatant disregard for safety as well. Getting a tattoo from a professional at an age where you clearly understand what you are doing is one thing....this was self indulgent peppered with ignorance.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
A story in the paper caught my eye. A Georgia Couple (parents of six kids all under 18) were arrested for giving all their kids tattoos. The parents do not feel like they did anything wrong. They said the kids all wanted tattoos and liked them. The parents both have tattoos and wanted their kids to have them too.

Georgia Couple Arrested For Tattooing Their Six Underage Kids with Guitar String, Homemade Device - Crimesider - CBS News

Lets not have a debate about the pros and cons of tattoos. That subject has been talked to death. Instead, do you think kids under 18 should get tattoos to please their parents? Should parents have the right to give their underage kids tattoos?

I live in Wisconsin, and at age 16 (I believe) with parents permission, the child can get a tattoo.

I personally would have the child get their tattoo at 18+, then they have no one to blame but themselves if they later change their mind about tattoos.

I dont want my daughters coming back to me 15 years down the road asking, "Why did you ever let me get this tattoo".

At 18+, then they have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:07 AM

34 posts, read 67,563 times
I Grew up in a very conservitive house hold I wasnt aloud to get any tattoos or peircing other than the one hole in my ears. I Think parents shouldnt force their kids into getting tattoos because its their body. As kid we all want them because its "cool" but until you sit and think logically about what its gonna do to your body your job (depending on position) and what it says or looks like it should be illegal for anyone under 18 to have them.

PROUD OWNER OF A TATTOO HERSELF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting