Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
You could try The Children's Place, that is where I buy my 6 year old's best fitting pants. I just did a quick check online, and right away found a pair of girl's jeans with an adjustable waist. Maybe they have other styles, too. In the boy's pants the adjustable waist has an elastic drawstring/cord, which might work even better for you if they do it for girls, too.

big girl - jeans - | Children's Clothing | Kids Clothes | The Children's Place
As I was going through my daughter's jeans last night I was thinking TCP would be the next place I tried.

Our mall is 40 min away but I think I will shop online instead. Taking her to the mall would be, well, wow, not something I want to do. She has no idea stores like TCP and Justice exist, not to mention Journey's Kids (because she never has enough shoes, apparently).
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Carter's and Osh Kosh have adjustable waists, too. In boys they do, at least. Osh Kosh also had some jeans (boys) in slim and husky in all the sizes when I was there last week.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 01-07-2010 at 08:51 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Do they make the waist/inseam sizing for kids?

My son is 10 years old and he needs a 16 for the waist/butt but they are MUCH to long for him. When I switch to husky sizes I have the opposite problem. The 12 husky is way to big on him (so big it's ridiculous). He really needs a 14 that runs just a little wider in the waist/butt. There is a really big difference between regular and husky and kids that are just a little thick on the bottom don't really fit well into the husky sizes.
Check into the Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit jeans. You might actually find something that will fit in both waist and length.

If you have a Shiptons, or any kind of farm and ranch supply store nearby that sells clothing check them out for Levis. You might even find Carhartts that may fit him. They may not be popular jeans but most any work or ranch wear clothing store tends to carry jeans in waist and length measurements. More so for boys/men than for girls/women.

Also look for relaxed fits instead of husky fits for your son.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times
My 8 year old is short. I find that jeans from Children's Place fit her well length-wise. They have adjustable waists, which is really helpful, plus cool designs on the pockets, which she likes.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
hi = my daughter has finally reached the age where pants do not automatically fit her if they are a size 7, which is what she is in everything but jeans. I am finding that none of her jeans fit in the waist, though they do in the length so I can't go up. She wears Gap, Mini Boden, RL, Lands End and Gymboree, and none of them will button. The "plus" sizes at the Gap fall off her. There must be a middle ground, either a brand that runs short so I can size her up to an 8 or a brand that is more generously cut (as far as jeans go). Any suggestions?
Have you tried Lands End? They are really helpful over the phone, too. You can call them and they will help you find just the right size. I did this not for jeans, but for swimsuits because our family has a heck of a time trying to find swimsuits that fit right. We have bought jeans from Lands End, though, and they are really good quality and last a long time - and I have boys!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:16 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
The Children's Place has always worked out perfectly for us. My DD is very tall and thin and it's been a hassle trying to find jeans that fit her right.

For Christmas, I bought her 2 pr of jeans from Justice in a size 14 (because of the length). Well, one fit her perfectly.... the other not at all. I exchanged those for a pair of Limited Too jeans (at Justice) and they also fit perfectly. I also bought her 2 pr of jeans from Children's Place for Christmas and, not only did they fit perfectly, but there is room/length to spare but not too much as to make the jeans look too big on her.

The good thing about The Children's Place is that you can get those 15% off coupons in the mail and they're always having a sale on the jeans.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Levis and Old Navy run average; Limited too and Justice run a bit small and gap runs large. I havent tried Boden jeans but their tops and dresses run large as does Hanna Andersson.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,601 times
Default Our solution...

Same problem here. I don't know how "fashion conscious" your little one is (I know my 10 y.o. won't wear them now) but my 8 y.o. is still happy and prefers the comfort of leggings and they are sooooo much easier to fit than the jeans on her. We pair them with tunic type sweaters and she looks cute as a button and is very comfortable. I just can't deal with the jean fit thing at this age!!! Good luck!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Levi's tend to run short. We have the opposite problem, tall and skinny, and the kids could never wear Levi's.

Keep in mind that for kids--NO ONE sells by waist and inseam-it would be nice but they don't. They do have slim, regular and husky/plus. If the regulars are too tight and the plus are too big your options are limited-basically buy them too large in the waist and wear a belt or buy them too long and roll them up.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
I found a chart for boys sizing and confirmed the problem.

Levis boys size 16 is 28.5 in the waist, which fits my son pretty well, with room for growth. The inseam is 28, which is to long for him. When you go to husky sizing a 28 waist is an 8H, which has a 23 inch inseam (way to short). To get a 26-27 inseam (which is still a little long-but he can wear them) you have to go to a 12H, which has a 32 inch waist, which is crazy big for him.

If you ask me the sizing is crazy. To have a 5 inch difference in the waist between a 14R and 12H is crazy. My son is actually pretty chubby at 58 inches and 100 lb. I can't imagine what a kid with a waist 5 inches (that's ALOT) larger than him looks like and how unhealthy it must be. We are working with our son to get him down to about 95 lb while he grows a little bit.

I don't have these problems with my other sons who are adult height. My oldest sometimes has trouble finding a 30 inch inseam (he has little legs) but once the kids get to adult heights you can find jeans in many different sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting