Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

I think the bigger question is: "If the parents are unwilling to assert their authority when the kids are little, what is going to happen when they are older?" As a parent of 3 tween/teen boys I can honestly say that when they get a little older the only reason they listen to their parents is because it has been instilled in them that they HAVE TO. If the parents don't make a point of having the kids listen when they are younger there is no way they are going to respect the parents wishes when they are 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
re OP, parenting
in most american homes ---normal dominance is not practiced. the alpha wolf is usually kicked and put outside and eventually taken to the pound anyway. and that is the story of the short unhappy life of the american family. what happens to a business when the the employees tell the employer what to do? gee- i dont know- lets ask GMC.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think the bigger question is: "If the parents are unwilling to assert their authority when the kids are little, what is going to happen when they are older?" As a parent of 3 tween/teen boys I can honestly say that when they get a little older the only reason they listen to their parents is because it has been instilled in them that they HAVE TO. If the parents don't make a point of having the kids listen when they are younger there is no way they are going to respect the parents wishes when they are 16.
I agree. This is what I've been telling them since the kids were two-ish except replace 16 with 12. That's when they're going to start seeing a total loss of control--if not sooner.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
They've tried turning it off when they fall asleep but they wake up and turn it back on later. Therefore, I agree with removing it completely.
If they get up and turn it back on then it has to come out....

Old 01-07-2010, 09:08 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I think all bedrooms should be free from electronics, except for perhaps an electric alarm clock. In addition to keeping TV-free bedrooms, we keep a basket downstairs for all hand-held games, iPods, and cell phones. Even toys are kept in another part of the house. Bedrooms are for sleeping.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
You can tell when the parent is not 'giving rules to the kids. One of my GF has a lot of issues with her son. Whenever he comes to our house and tries to act badly he gets in trouble, we don't allow him to walk all over us. She can't understand how we are able to get him to behave....

Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 AM

34 posts, read 67,556 times
WHOA... Parents have TV's in their room and you are complaining about your kids having one. Sit them down and Explain At this time the TV goes off. If its turned on between These Hours Its getting un-pluged for a while and if you take it step by step your kids will gradually learn okay tv is off at 9 We'll set the timer on it and fall asleep.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaynaRae View Post
WHOA... Parents have TV's in their room and you are complaining about your kids having one. Sit them down and Explain At this time the TV goes off. If its turned on between These Hours Its getting un-pluged for a while and if you take it step by step your kids will gradually learn okay tv is off at 9 We'll set the timer on it and fall asleep.
What does it matter if the parents have a TV in their room?

The kids should not have one in the room....period.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 AM

34 posts, read 67,556 times
Yeah thats Great i thought your suppost to set the example I guess your the exception

Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaynaRae View Post
Yeah thats Great i thought your suppost to set the example I guess your the exception
I don't think that adults need to comply with every rule set down for their kids. As an adult I can have a tv in my room and turn it off when its time for a bed. If a 5 or 6 year old can't do that, and it affects their well being, then they should not have a tv in their room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting