Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
What should my sister do about her son who has never had any friends or does not make any effort?

He is a genius with books, taking IQ tests and getting straight A's in school. Everything academic comes super easy to him. He likes to talk to intellectual type adults about all kinds of complex topics, especially computers and other high tech subjects. But the topics of conversation his 8th grade peers talk about have no interest to him. His classmates think he is a big nerd and will not have anything to do with him. His parents force him to get involved in sports and clubs but he goes but does not say a word to anyone and the other kids do not say a word to him.

I think is is aspergers but my sister disagrees and says he will grow out of it. I say that he will be scared for life growing up without any social contact with kids his age. You say?
I think he needs to be in an environment with kids like him. TJ high school is filled with kids like that and they thrive, academically and socially.

Another thing to consider, schizoid personality disorder. It's not a bad as it sounds. They are people on the far end of introverted and don't like being around other people. They are loners. Schizoid personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have to wonder why your sister let her son get to this age without any friends. This should have been dealt with years ago. One thing is true, he will not outgrow it without help. A teenager without friends has a problem. I would highly recommend that your sister take him for an evaluation with a good child psychologist or child psychiatrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Wow, so being a loner is a medical disorder now?

Now wonder this society is going to hell in a handbasket. No one is allowed to be themselves.

Short attention span? Medicate!
High activity level? Medicate!
Intellectual instead of social? MED-I-CATE!

Sometimes people are just different and that's okay.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
And some people are just bored and make stuff up about various "relatives"....

Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Good grief, at least change the wording up a little.
//www.city-data.com/forum/9700658-post1.html

Old 01-09-2010, 11:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
What should my sister do about her son who has never had any friends or does not make any effort?

He is a genius with books, taking IQ tests and getting straight A's in school. Everything academic comes super easy to him. He likes to talk to intellectual type adults about all kinds of complex topics, especially computers and other high tech subjects. But the topics of conversation his 8th grade peers talk about have no interest to him. His classmates think he is a big nerd and will not have anything to do with him. His parents force him to get involved in sports and clubs but he goes but does not say a word to anyone and the other kids do not say a word to him.

I think is is aspergers but my sister disagrees and says he will grow out of it. I say that he will be scared for life growing up without any social contact with kids his age. You say?
She shouldn't worry about him. He'll grow out of it but will probably always be somewhat a loner. Actually she should count her blessings.

Kids like this aren't having problems, they aren't sad, they don't want friends "bothering" them, they are happy in their own world, with their own interests. They aren't subject to peer pressure, they are asocial enough that if someone tells them to try drugs, they won't because they don't live to impress anyone.

You should leave kids like this be, don't force them into social activities, let them do their own thing and later they will find friends on their own, in their own time but they will be people with similar interests.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
A teenager without friends has a problem. I would highly recommend that your sister take him for an evaluation with a good child psychologist or child psychiatrist.
I completely disagree. If they are unhappy, they have a problem. If a child has no friends, is happy in his own skin, is staying busy with things he likes, then he does not have a problem.

It's kids with severe social needs that cannot fill them that have problems. There are those people who are "asocial", not anti-social or social, they are happy in themselves, they occupy their time doing their own little projects, reading what they like to read.

Their day isn't made because the phone rang for them, and it's not unmade because it didn't ring for them. They have no friends and they truly do not mind a bit. These people can be perfectly friendly, they can be polite and pleasant to be around, they can be very likeable.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
You know - I'm so sick of the need to label and stigmitize a child that is beyond highly intelligent and by all accounts is to the point of genius. I can tell you the reason he does not socialize with kids his age; he has nothing in common with them! He may be physically 14 but intellectually and mentally he will have more in common and be more comfortable with people that are 10 years or so older. There is nothing wrong with that! Pushing him to be something he is not and then labeling him as having a disorder or syndrome will do nothing but harm this young man. Your sister is correct that she should encourage but not force him. Let him join intellectual clubs that are at his advanced level, no matter what the age of the participants. He is not like 99% of his age group so why try to dumb him down to their level?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Wow, DoubleT - thanks for the link. I think it's such an incredible coincidence that two people on this forum each have a sister with a 14 yr old genius son with the same problems! Whoda thunk?

Perhaps they should get together with each other and share nephew stories!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM

250 posts, read 911,155 times
It likely isn't aspergers. Typically these kids TRY hard to have friends, they WANT desperately to have friends they just find it difficult to interact and form lasting bonds. Quite the opposite actually from what you describe. Sounds like he's just not interested in the same things his peers are.

I think the child will be just fine. No need to dig to find some label for not being interested in having friends right now. He's in 8th grade? Sounds like he's just more mature for his age. His peers will follow suit eventually. Definitely not "scared for life" as you say.

What I'd think would be best is for his family (including you) to be very supportive of him, supportive and encouraging of his great talents especially. I can think it would be tempting to require him be involved in sports but perhaps laying off a little might help. Maybe encouraging him to join some sort of after school group focused more on something he really is passionate about would help him find friends and others who think more like him. Just a thought.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Do not force sports on him at all, big mistake. Some people just hate sports, I am one of them. Academics is much more important and will benefit him much more in life, then sports.....Let him talk to who he wants, you do not want a resentful child. Good he is smart, that will benefit much more in life.

I say leave the kid alone, he doesnt' need to have a ka-zillion friends, if he seems happy, nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting