Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:02 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times

Advertisements

Should parents be forced to evacuate their children when under a mandatory evacuation order pending a disaster? I know that a mandatory order doesn't mean "mandatory." They can't force you to leave.

If during a potential disaster a "homeowner" refuses to leave to protect his property, and children are injured or killed as a result, should the parent/homeowner be charged with the child's death if he survives?

Right now in California, we are experiencing severe rainstorms. There are mandatory evacuation orders in areas that suffered a severe fire in the hills around and above their homes. Officials are saying it has a potential to trigger a landslide much like the 2005 La Conchita landslide, where homes were swallowed, knocked around, and 10 people died.

There are several "homeowners" refusing to leave "to protect their property." Stupid is as stupid does, I guess. If they're keeping their children with them, are they not endangering them? If the children die and the parent/s survive, should they be charged with something (endangerment, manslaughter?)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I think this is a situation where the won't be a charge unless there is an injury or death. However, I do believe that the parents are putting their children at risk, and the parents should suffer the legal consequences should those risks result in injury or death to their children. Since you live in California, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there was a case like that in the future. When that happens, I won't be posting that the state is overstepping by charging the parent. Some people are utter idiots. Last I checked, being stupid doesn't protect a person from the law.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:08 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,494 times
One word: KATRINA

Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
One word: KATRINA
You read my mind. There's no way these people didn't see the aftermath of Katrina on television; what makes them think they aren't in a similar situation? Geez.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
2005 La Conchita landslide, where homes were swallowed, knocked around, and 10 people died.
Was that the one where the dad went to get pizza and in between when he left & got home the landslide killed his entire family? I know the story was out CA.

You have to think of the mentality of people who feel they are invincible and have a crazy passion about "property".

Then there are those who have nowhere to go (no friends or family nearby) and are fearful of going to a shelter or school gym for who knows how long.

Katrina?

What about the images coming out of Haiti? And those innocent people didn't even have a chance...

We are BEYOND, and I mean BEYOND, blessed in this country that not only can we warn our citizens, but our citizens have a place to go; many times more than one choice; that will offer food, water, & shelter. And yet people will sit around and complain how they need to protect their what...refrigerator??

At the end of the day, the house means NOTHING & it never will. It's family that matters & when they are gone, nothing replaces them.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Was that the one where the dad went to get pizza and in between when he left & got home the landslide killed his entire family? I know the story was out CA.
Yes, that was the one.

I'll be staying tuned to the news for the next 4 days to see if it actually happens. We're expecting the 4th and worst storm to hit tomorrow a.m. They're predicting a 12-18 hour event. Should be interesting to see what develops. Hope I don't get caught driving at the wrong time.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
CPS should come out and make sure the evacuation of children is mandatory, IMO if a parent is stupid enough to leave his/her children in harms way they are incapable taking care of said child.

You want to stay behind and protect your home, go ahead, but please make other arrangments for your children. If they have no one else to go with then the parent needs to leave too. What good is protecting your house if it will be empty due to your entire family being killed in an avoidable situation.

I really hope for the people of CA that this disaster does not come to pass.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
I just saw one of the bright ones on the news "why should we leave?" yes, I think they should be held responsible.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,387 times
I just want to know how on Earth do these people think they will be able to protect their home? Do they think they are Superman or have super human strength and can hold up/back their house if it starts to slide? Thankfully I don't live out there and have not witnessed first hand the destruction of a house being torn apart and collapse as it slides down a hillside, but I have watched enough of it on news reports to know there is no possible way that even an army could save a house once it starts to go.

So I say yes, if parents are to stupid or arrogant to get their children out of harms way because they want to protect their homes, they should be charged with some sort of crime. At the very least they should be charged with child endangerment if the child/ren survive and manslaughter if they don't.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Should parents be forced to evacuate their children when under a mandatory evacuation order pending a disaster? I know that a mandatory order doesn't mean "mandatory." They can't force you to leave.

If during a potential disaster a "homeowner" refuses to leave to protect his property, and children are injured or killed as a result, should the parent/homeowner be charged with the child's death if he survives?

Right now in California, we are experiencing severe rainstorms. There are mandatory evacuation orders in areas that suffered a severe fire in the hills around and above their homes. Officials are saying it has a potential to trigger a landslide much like the 2005 La Conchita landslide, where homes were swallowed, knocked around, and 10 people died.

There are several "homeowners" refusing to leave "to protect their property." Stupid is as stupid does, I guess. If they're keeping their children with them, are they not endangering them? If the children die and the parent/s survive, should they be charged with something (endangerment, manslaughter?)?
You know, anybody who would put themselves, their pets or their children at risk because they want to "protect their property" (i.e. stuff) should be horsewhipped and then peed on.

It's just stuff. If people are that shallow that they cannot tell the difference between living, breathing beings and material objects, well they DESERVE to be gobbled up by a mud slide. For cripe's sake.

I would expect that they could be held responsible for death or injury of their children. But I doubt that they would be prosecuted. Talk about a messed up world.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting