Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times

Advertisements

Okay, have a question to pose before I ask the other parents. We have an upcoming dance at my oldest daughters school. There will be about 20 of them that are coming to our house for pictures and then dinner before the dance. We all figured this was actually cheaper to have food brought in and easier thatn all of them trying to go somewhere and us parents having to tote them to 3 locations (not all of them drive and some of the girls w/ dates that do are not allowed to "car date" ). So pictures at our house then dinner here which is going to run about $10pp. Not bad I'd say and it is going to be fajita's catered in.

My question concerns the transportation for all of the kids from our house to the dance and then BACK to our house after the dance for the "after dance party". The parents would have to bring the kids at say 4:00 for pictures then come back at 7:30 to take them to the dance that is about 10 miles away. THEN go pick them up at the dance and bring them back to our house for a few hours and then come BACK to pick them up later that night. That would be FOUR TRIPS to our house alone. I called and did some checking and I can get a big stretch limo for about $25 per person for the limo that holds 20. Add in dinner and that is about $35 pp or $70 per couple. As a parent would you go for it? Or would you rather spend half the day/night carting the kids back and forth? I mean we would have about 10 parents having to take the kids back and forth. ????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
I would guess that depends on each families' circumstance. If going to the dance in and of itself is a stretch for some families (and it often is) - then, even if it is a good deal (and having BTDT, $25/pp for a limo is CHEAP), it could be too much. Why don't you poll the parents involved and ask before you commit?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:37 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
How about have the kids pay for it? Even if they don't have jobs they probably have allowances and gift money, don't they? The price sounds reasonable, especially since you're getting such a good deal on dinner. I guess my own experience was very different in that parents were never involved in dance-related things (except sometimes for rides at a young age, but there would definitely be limits on that: one ride to, one ride from, and none of these in-between rides), and my friends and I always figured out all logistics, paid for everything on our own, and generally didn't involve parents at all. Have you talked to the kids about this? If my son were older and another parent asked me about this I'd probably wonder why they were asking me, and not my kid, since he would be the one attending the dance (and paying for it). Then again, obviously that must vary by school or community. I think the plan itself makes a lot of sense.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:41 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Your amounts are given that everyone participates - so if a few don't then the amount goes up per person.

So you don't end up getting stuck with extra, make it really clear up front what everyone has to pay. Then after you get commitments, if the price changes because not everyone said yes, make sure they are all okay with it before you commit and book something.

I had a friend who got stuck big time with a limo bill because not everyone paid up.

Also, who will be responsible for damages, if they occur? Just make sure you think through every aspect.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
One more thought -

The one and only time my son has gone to a dance, there was a big group. To avoid the situation like you are describing, we all took different legs to tote them around. So not every parent was having to do every single trip.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
One more thought -

The one and only time my son has gone to a dance, there was a big group. To avoid the situation like you are describing, we all took different legs to tote them around. So not every parent was having to do every single trip.
That's how we did dances also - until prom, where the kids did get a limo - and for us, it was more of a safety issue since the kids all had licenses by then and the location was going to be a problem for a couple of reasons on that particular date.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Believe me, I've been thinking of EVERYTHING! I tend to over analyze..... Thought of the "what if everyone doesn't want to" and all. Asked my daughter to ask the other kids if their parents would be okay with it and she was like, "I'm not asking, YOU ask the parents". LOL!!! The kids just figure out the "fun" things, lol. Never how to get there and back .

Most of the kids are freshmen so they don't drive. A few of the girls have dates/boyfriends that do drive but they are not allowed to "car date" (our daughter is one). I think it is a heck of a deal considering that it could run over $30 in gas by the time parents are done carting them all around if we don't do some carpool option. All of the girls have planned to go get their nails done on Friday (mani AND pedi) which will run an easy $60. I told mine to do her own and it would EASILY cover it. LOL!!! My daughter did say, "this is x school, we don't do limos". Her school is very unpretentious. There are plenty of people there with money but it is not a "rich school" by outwards appearances and you don't have the kids or parents that flaunt money (which I like ). This is why I really don't even want to say that I'd cover it. Heck, my daughter gets mad if I show up to pick her up in the 68 Camaro Convertible (she doesn't want kids thinking she is "rich").

Sooooooooo, next option.......
I've got a Suburban and can borrow my mothers. Two of the other girls have parents w/ Suburbans. If I can get those other 2 parents to help then we could EASILY shuttle the kids to and from the dance without having to have 10+ parents having to get out and run around like crazy.
Do you think this one sounds more reasonable?

I still think in my email this afternoon to all of the parents I'm going to include the limo option just to let them know I've thought of everything. But not make it sound like I'm all for it. URGH!!!!!!! high school........

Old 01-27-2010, 11:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I'd 100% support splitting the cost of the limo.

I wouldn't think very highly of a parent who wanted me to pay for the cost of feeding the children.

If you chose to have a party/dinner at your home, you are being a hostess and shouldn't ask for money.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd 100% support splitting the cost of the limo.

I wouldn't think very highly of a parent who wanted me to pay for the cost of feeding the children.

If you chose to have a party/dinner at your home, you are being a hostess and shouldn't ask for money.
WT.....

Actually, the kids are the ones that decided OUR HOUSE for pictures before the dance and dinner. I had nothing to do with that except told my daughter it would be okay when she asked me about doing pictures here (the other kids asked about our house to her when they were discussing it at school w/o parents around). Then they were trying to find something to go eat for dinner prior to the dance that was reasonable and close by. I mentioned they could do dinner here after hearing some of their options and to decide on what they wanted and gave several options. I NEVER once said I'd "host a party/dinner". Well, the "after party" and I plan on having munchies and cold drinks for that for them. The dinner option I threw out for them to consider was to help them keep their expenses down. There IS a difference. I've hosted a many a party and dinners at my house and I know the rules/etiquette and follow them. This one is a wee bit different.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Our public school is having a freshman dance at a country club and the invitation specifically states, "this is not the freshman prom, no limos." So, maybe your school has an opinion on the subject, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting