Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 AM

271 posts, read 785,748 times

Advertisements

The other day I took my daughter to Chick Fil A and there was a little boy there, maybe the younger part of 3, and they were both in a tunnel in the kid play area and I saw my daughter through the window putting her arms on his shoulders and she kissed him on the lips. I took her again yesterday and another toddler showed up, a lot smaller than her, and my daughter kept going up to her and wanting to put her hands on her shoulders and hug her but I was able to get to her and re-direct her to something else whenever she tried to touch her. So I guess what I'm asking is at 22 months is the only way to get her not to do this is to re-direct her? She doesn't hurt them, she seems to be pretty gentle, but I don't want her to spread germs and make other parents feel uncomfortable. I don't think she understands yet the concept of personal space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 11:11 AM

705 posts, read 1,760,185 times
Yes, redirect. And show her another way to greet kids/play with them. My youngest loves babies. When he was little he always wanted to pat them on the head, like a dog. We taught him to play peek-a-boo with them instead. Not exactly the same thing, but you get the idea.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,232,740 times
It's hard to reason w/ a 22 mth old, but you can begin now to tell her to save her kisses for mommy and daddy as you redirect her. As she gets older, continue to reinforce it and let her know that kisses are special not to be shared w/ everyone.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 PM

705 posts, read 1,760,185 times
Ok, here is a substitute behavior - how about blowing kisses then sharing toys?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM

Ya those are good ideas. My daughter stays at home with me all day so when I get a chance to take her to play with other kids she goes nuts.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM

443 posts, read 1,793,780 times
In this wussified day and age you better watch out she doesn't get an assault charge on her. Like that one little girl who has a sexual assault charge on her when she hugged that little boy.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
In this wussified day and age you better watch out she doesn't get an assault charge on her. Like that one little girl who has a sexual assault charge on her when she hugged that little boy.
Isn't that ridiculous? My daughter tried to hug a girl that was older than her...maybe 4 and the girl started freaking out. My mom said it might be because they are teaching kids in preschool not to touch other kids (apart from hitting, pinching, pushing, etc.) so when it happens to them they get scared? Who knows. This other little girl, maybe 5, was taking my daughter by the shoulders and throwing her to the ground to get her out of her way and I told the girl not to push her like that. The parents weren't in the play area, they were out in the dining area eating. It made me mad because she was acting like a little brat, but like you said in this day and age, I have to be very careful what I say to other people's children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting