Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times

Advertisements

Obama announces initiatives for middle class | General News | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100125/US.Obama.Jobs/ - broken link)

"Among the initiatives: a doubling of the child care tax credit for families earning under $85,000; a $1.6 billion increase in federal funding for child care programs"

What burns me up about this, is that the government will dump all this money into giving tax credits to people who put their kids in daycare centers, but not to families who have one parent either leave work or work part-time to stay home to care for their children themselves. Why is it that actually raising your children yourself is discouraged and frowned upon these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I see your point, but obviously it is meant to help families who really need 2 incomes to get by, the true, blue collar middle class. Either way, it wouldn't help me. I'm home with my kids, and we would make more than $85 k if I went back to work. I guess I'm not among the people this one is aimed to help.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Obama announces initiatives for middle class | General News | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100125/US.Obama.Jobs/ - broken link)

"Among the initiatives: a doubling of the child care tax credit for families earning under $85,000; a $1.6 billion increase in federal funding for child care programs"

What burns me up about this, is that the government will dump all this money into giving tax credits to people who put their kids in daycare centers, but not to families who have one parent either leave work or work part-time to stay home to care for their children themselves. Why is it that actually raising your children yourself is discouraged and frowned upon these days?
Working parents ARE raising their children. Wouldn't it be nice if children could be raised in just the hours they are in child care?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Working parents ARE raising their children. Wouldn't it be nice if children could be raised in just the hours they are in child care?
I'd love to have my weekends and evenings off!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,895 times
So, I'm confused. The government should pay us to stay at home?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Childcare tax credits should be the least of a SAHP's worry.

I stayed home for 7 years and discovered that I don't qualify for social security disability even though I worked for 15 years prior to becoming a SAHM.

I returned to work 2 years ago. I think I have one year left and I'll qualify again. Not sure.

Granted, I don't need disability but it's sort of frightening that it's not available if I did become disabled.

I highly recommend SAHP buy private disability insurance. It's just as important as life insurance.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I see your point, but obviously it is meant to help families who really need 2 incomes to get by, the true, blue collar middle class. Either way, it wouldn't help me. I'm home with my kids, and we would make more than $85 k if I went back to work. I guess I'm not among the people this one is aimed to help.
We are blue collar middle class and we wouldn't make 85K if I went back to work. I'd like to see a tax credit for having a child rather then a tax credit for childcare.

ETA: I sacrificed my earnings in order to stay home and care for my child. The amount that I've sacrificed is more then it would have cost me to put my child into daycare. That is the reason why I see this as a biased solution against sahp's. sahp's are paying for daycare too.

Last edited by Dorthy; 01-25-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
We are blue collar middle class and we wouldn't make 85K if I went back to work. I'd like to see a tax credit for having a child rather then a tax credit for childcare.

ETA: I sacrificed my earnings in order to stay home and care for my child. The amount that I've sacrificed is more then it would have cost me to put my child into daycare. That is the reason why I see this as a biased solution against sahp's. sahp's are paying for daycare too.
well, there already is a tax credit for having a child. It isn't supposed to be a solution. It is supposed to be a tax break for a certain group of people. I see what you are saying. I guess it just doesn't bother me all that much. It is meant to help people. that it doesn't specifically help you.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
well, there already is a tax credit for having a child. It isn't supposed to be a solution. It is supposed to be a tax break for a certain group of people. I see what you are saying. I guess it just doesn't bother me all that much. It is meant to help people. that it doesn't specifically help you.
Then they can increase the tax credit for having children for people who make under $85K/year rather then give a tax credit only to working folks who have children in daycare. On a personal level I'm not losing any sleep over this but there is no denying the fact that it is biased in favor of working parents who are losing income to pay for childcare with nothing included for parents who are losing income in order to care for their children full time at home.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Why is it that when a child goes to school, the school gets a bunch of money for educating that child, but when a parent homeschools, the parent does not receive ANY money for educating the child? Materials still have to be purchased. Supplies are used. Field trips are taken. The parent does a better job of educating and still pays taxes for the school.

Makes no sense.

I guess it comes down to choice. We forfeit that money if we decide to take care of our own. The government is not going to pay us for staying home unless, of course, you go on welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting