Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM

273 posts, read 697,803 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this thread falls in here or under special needs

Does anyone know of any specialty forums or places to discuss bedwetting issues?

Last edited by W James III; 03-25-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 PM

705 posts, read 1,753,482 times
tell us more, there have been bedwetting threads here before.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:40 PM

556 posts, read 2,081,348 times
Some of us might even be able to re-assure you, if you are the parent, that your older child/ren could outgrow this......as I did around 16 years of age I was an older child with bedwetting issues - and one EXTREMELY immature bladder.....it finally caught up

Old 03-25-2010, 02:28 PM

After a web search I found a new forum for bed wetter’s started by a former bed wetter who wet the bed until he turned 17.

I think I will go sign up there and post and get more information

@88txaggie

Well threads are one thing I was looking more for others who are currently going through the same thing and a place to discuss those issues. Just didn’t think this would be the place to do it.

I just feel it’s different when you are personally living with it.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 PM

I should clarify that it would be nice to talk with others here if there any who curently share the same issues, thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Are you the child or the parent?

I'll gladly discuss this. It was a particularly challenging for me because I was involved in all things normal for a young gal - girl scouts that included camp outs, sleepovers with friends, church choir that traveled during the summer, etc. Since my personal experience with this didn't end until I was 16 - there were a lot of things I either didn't do - or I packed sets of 'two' just in case......

My parents tried a lot of crazy things - they tried waking me at all hours of the night for a trip to pee - they tried plastic sheets, they considered the alarmed bed linens - they withheld liquids past a certain time - they kept me up later - they made me go to bed earlier - they tried medical doctors, with some success there, with nightly meds - but in all honesty - for me, it was really all about my anatomy - and a very small, very immature bladder that needed TIME to catch up.....I was 16 years old - and remember well thinking I would someday marry and run the risk of wetting the bed on my husband Thankfully that hasn't happened.....and one day - just like a light switch, I stopped - and one night turned into two, which turned into a week, which turned into a month.....and then history.....but I know well my parents were frustrated, concerned, and at a complete loss on how to help me......I had a wonderful, carefree, loving and full childhood/teenage time - there was nothing psychological in my case - no trauma, no fears, etc.....just anatomy.

Good luck - regardless of which you are - the parent or the child - it's something that happens to many of us - and I wish it weren't so taboo to talk about.....maybe it isn't anymore - but it sure was 35 years ago! It was also concerning when I started having children myself, since bedwetting has some tendency to be passed on - or so they think. I have two sons - both were potty trained at the typical age of about 2 years and neither wet the bed much past the age of 3 when most kids start sleeping through the night dry......I believe my brother was a bedwetter until he was about 10 or 11 and my father says he was as well...."I" get the honor of being the 'oldest' FORMER bedwetter in the family tree

Old 03-25-2010, 03:39 PM

I’m the relative of a teen bed wetter and it’s my nephew who has the issue.

His parents are concerned but really they are trying to give him his space. He has stayed the night and does wear diapers when not at home. While at home he often forgoes them.

No doctors, not medicine or anything like that and I was trying to get some information or talk with others who have or are going through the same thing

Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 PM

I am a parent of a just turned 10 year old boy who has primary enuresis.

We researched and bought an alarm to try to treat the issue when he was 8, because I thought it was harming his self esteem and affecting other areas of his life - I was not unduly worried after reading up on it; rather I was afraid of the way it was affecting him. My son seemed interested in pursuing this (to work, the kid must be a willing participant) until he talked to our pediatrician.

The pediatrician's advice was to let it be (he was a bedwetter till the age of 13). Because of this, we decided not do anything special to treat this issue - he wears pullups, and even with those we change the bed often. . He was interested until talking with the doctor, and then he just seemed content to wait it out....to wait for his body to catch up.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
I’m the relative of a teen bed wetter and it’s my nephew who has the issue.

His parents are concerned but really they are trying to give him his space. He has stayed the night and does wear diapers when not at home. While at home he often forgoes them.

No doctors, not medicine or anything like that and I was trying to get some information or talk with others who have or are going through the same thing
Your nephew is a lucky young man that you'd like to learn more on his behalf, and are willing to open a dialogue with him. I'd commend his parents for giving him his space since he is a teen at this point - but if he hasn't been medically evaluated - if he is willing at his age - maybe get him in to see a good urologist? If nothing else, it will help him hear from a professional, that often times, we just 'quit' as we mature. And if there is a physical reason, he will learn that and what steps might be necessary, if any, to correct the concern.

My doctor told my parents all those years back, they could help me 'stretch' and/or 'strengthen' my bladder by helping me 'hold it' for longer periods of time during the day - instead of 8 little pees - try 4 bigger pees - well - that resulted in some really early on bladder infections - so we stopped that.....and he discussed a possible surgical attempt to enlarge the bladder, but my parents didn't want to make any of those decisions for me - rather opting to see if it continued into adulthood, I could make my own decisions.

I never wore diapers, or rubber pants, as my parents really tried, as your nephew's parents are trying, to let me be as normal as possible. I slept on folded towels and as I got older, it was very routine for me to get up, change my bed linens and take the soiled linens to the laundry room - my poor mom did a lot of pee laundry those 14 years

I think there is a fine line between 'no communication' and 'too much' with this - particularly with teens.....it was part of who I was and everyone close to me knew it - my best friends all helped me as much as they could if I was sleeping over, by letting me sleep in my 'own' sleeping bag/linens, so I could cart it all home if I had an 'accident'. I don't remember keeping it a 'secret' with those close to me.....but I do remember that my parents didn't really talk about it with other adult family members, at least not around me.

If you have specific questions - please feel free to ask, or if you aren't comfortable posting them publicly, send me a DM.....this was a very real time in my life - until I was well into my 30's - it was 'more' of my life to that point than not.......

Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM

will you link the forum you found, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting