Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,626 times

Advertisements

I know I posted this inside another post but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle. I just wanted to make sure we have both sides of the story clearly visible on the main page.

Some Kids Are Never Spanked - Do They Turn Out Better? - NurtureShock Blog - Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM

I thought I would pop on the forum and see if any of you non spankers responded to this study.

It figures that when someone comes up with a solid study that shows spanking is not a bad thing you all suddenly have nothing to say.

Based off the fact nobody responded to this I would gather that non spankers have no backbone and can't stand up for themselves.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:12 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
An intelligent adult should be smart enough to figure out a way to discipline without resorting to violence.
It is very possible to raise happy, well-adjusted kids without ever laying a finger on them.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
An intelligent adult should be smart enough to figure out a way to discipline without resorting to violence.
It is very possible to raise happy, well-adjusted kids without ever laying a finger on them.
Obviously you didn't even read the article because you have no thought on it. This is a typical post from someone who just believes there way is the only way no matter what evidence you throw in their face.

I am open to being wrong here. I just hate people that give stupid arguements like this. If you want to disagree thats fine but at least have some substance to your arguement.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
You're right. I didn't read the article. And I have no intention of doing so.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 PM

61 posts, read 175,031 times
Well, it was an interesting read. The problem with articles like this is the confounding factors that are present in any study of this sort. The gentle discpline types are lumped in with foster care kids, kids whose parents are wholly absent in their lives etc. You just can't flesh out every detail for confounding factors in these kids' lives. It also seemed to talk about inconsistent discipline quite a bit. I will agree with him there - that can be very detrimental to the child's well being. Clearly stated rules and ways of behaving are always needed and should be enforced consistently. The child should be able to know what the consequences are every time. I think it goes without saying that when the father is a weak figure, or the parents can't agree on consequences - this sets the child up for difficulties throughout childhood and adolecents.
I happen to be a parent who does not believe in corporal punishment for my own children. It doesn't belong in our family, and my children are far too sensitive to do something like this to them. They are both very sweet and typically people-pleasers. I've never felt that they were so out of control that I couldn't handle it another way. However, DH and I are very traditional, other than that. We are both college educated, hold professional jobs, got married and then started a family, ect. We expect a lot of of our kids, and we do not let them rule the roost. It can be achieved in our family without spanking.

This also caught my eye: "In other words, spanking regularly isn’t the problem; the problem is having no regular form of discipline at all."

I agree. However, in the author's own admission, it is difficult to compare children who are spanked vs. not because other contributing factors like family dynamic cannot be accounted for in these studies.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
The following quote caught my attention:

"I admit to taking a leap here, but if the progressive parents are the ones who never spank (or at least there’s a large overlap), then perhaps the consistency of discipline is more important than the form of discipline. In other words, spanking regularly isn’t the problem; the problem is having no regular form of discipline at all."

I do believe that this paragraph distills the issues pretty well. I don't spank kids. I feel that there is almost always a better way. However, lack of spanking does not equal lack of discipline. Parents who chose not to hit their children do need a plan as to HOW to achieve discipline. Without a plan for non violent discipline kids do wind up without any discipline and that can be quite a big problem when they get older.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulylily View Post
Well, it was an interesting read. The problem with articles like this is the confounding factors that are present in any study of this sort. The gentle discpline types are lumped in with foster care kids, kids whose parents are wholly absent in their lives etc. You just can't flesh out every detail for confounding factors in these kids' lives.
Agree
Quote:
It also seemed to talk about inconsistent discipline quite a bit. I will agree with him there - that can be very detrimental to the child's well being. Clearly stated rules and ways of behaving are always needed and should be enforced consistently. The child should be able to know what the consequences are every time.
Agree. Kids like clear boundaries. In general they like to please and to do the right thing
Quote:
I think it goes without saying that when the father is a weak figure, or the parents can't agree on consequences - this sets the child up for difficulties throughout childhood and adolecents.
Agree again. Parents need to agree. I think these days that fathers often become passive. Parents to me seem disempowered and feeling like no matter what they do the social workers will come dowen on them
Quote:
I happen to be a parent who does not believe in corporal punishment for my own children. It doesn't belong in our family, and my children are far too sensitive to do something like this to them. They are both very sweet and typically people-pleasers. I've never felt that they were so out of control that I couldn't handle it another way. However, DH and I are very traditional, other than that. We are both college educated, hold professional jobs, got married and then started a family, ect. We expect a lot of of our kids, and we do not let them rule the roost. It can be achieved in our family without spanking.
And thats OK. You are not even at an extreeme. In my view the extremes are beating a kid half to death or at the other end, just letting kids do whatever, whenever and simply not caring about them.
Quote:

This also caught my eye: "In other words, spanking regularly isn’t the problem; the problem is having no regular form of discipline at all."
Agree Agree Agree
Quote:

I agree. However, in the author's own admission, it is difficult to compare children who are spanked vs. not because other contributing factors like family dynamic cannot be accounted for in these studies.
To me one problem is that when this spanking debate comes up, the anti spankers bring out examples of kids being punched beaten up and taken to hospital. These are extreme examples but they use these to justify why all corporal punishment is bad.

I am unashamadly in favour of corporal punishment. I am in favour of parents being in authority over kids.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times

Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The following quote caught my attention:

"I admit to taking a leap here, but if the progressive parents are the ones who never spank (or at least there’s a large overlap), then perhaps the consistency of discipline is more important than the form of discipline. In other words, spanking regularly isn’t the problem; the problem is having no regular form of discipline at all."

I do believe that this paragraph distills the issues pretty well. I don't spank kids. I feel that there is almost always a better way. However, lack of spanking does not equal lack of discipline. Parents who chose not to hit their children do need a plan as to HOW to achieve discipline. Without a plan for non violent discipline kids do wind up without any discipline and that can be quite a big problem when they get older.
I think many parents feel disempowered and other just don't think.

I think many parents make a big deal out of something relatively minor.

I think that as a society we have a problem with physical pain. When my kid falls over and scrapes their knee or cuts their finger, I say give it a rub, is it OK, its a part of life etc. I see other parents who seem to want to take the kid to hospital and have three doctors and five nurses to apply a bandaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting