Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Yes, I assume
Do you know the student's history? From the sounds of it, no.

Assuming an IED is fairly judgemental & if anything, if you are concerned about it enough that you are concerned about the other children in the class, you either speak to the teacher or parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 02:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Do you know the student's history? From the sounds of it, no.

Assuming an IED is fairly judgemental & if anything, if you are concerned about it enough that you are concerned about the other children in the class, you either speak to the teacher or parent.
no, it is based on my observation of the fact that he has a special teacher who spends extra time with him. That has to be some kind of special program. I don't see how he could get that without an IEP.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
no, it is based on my observation of the fact that he has a special teacher who spends extra time with him. That has to be some kind of special program. I don't see how he could get that without an IEP.
OK, and?

Imagine if someone started a thread about your child?

Again, if you care so much, go to the proper sources of there is concern for safety.

My son is in a peer intergrated preschool & was screened to be a role model for those with emotional/developmental challenges. It was a hard decision initially. Now, I'd never look back; he has learned & grown so much. We have had an issue w/ one boy who but it is always taken care of professionally and quickly. I did not specifically mention the boy to the teacher, but the situation, & she knew right away.

A boy who has DS in my son's class has an aide & I have seen her act very quickly, firmly, yet compassionately when he has gotten aggressive.

I see nothing wrong w/ a parent speaking to a teacher if they have legitimate concerns over safety & legitimate sources. I say this from a parental & teacher side of view as I have done both.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:01 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,430 times
Quote:
I guess I just thought someone on here might have some insight into why he seems to be coddled instead of disciplined.
I offered some insight based on my experience with the austic child I had in my classroom. When dealing with my student, I needed to intervene in a POSITIVE manner in order to accomplish any results. If I simply got angry and punished the child it would accomplish nothing.

It seems that you feel the child is not changing his negative behavior because the teachers are "coddling" him. Since you obviously know nothing about what the child's issues are, you know nothing about how to handle him. Maybe that is the best way to deal with the child. Imagine how he would be if they stuck him in a time out every time he had a problem.

The school administration obviously feels the child should be in that class. How would you feel if that was your child and some nosy mother was asking all kinds of questions about your child when it is clearly none of their business?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
OK, and?

Imagine if someone started a thread about your child?

Again, if you care so much, go to the proper sources of there is concern for safety.

My son is in a peer intergrated preschool & was screened to be a role model for those with emotional/developmental challenges. It was a hard decision initially. Now, I'd never look back; he has learned & grown so much. We have had an issue w/ one boy who but it is always taken care of professionally and quickly. I did not specifically mention the boy to the teacher, but the situation, & she knew right away.

A boy who has DS in my son's class has an aide & I have seen her act very quickly, firmly, yet compassionately when he has gotten aggressive.

I see nothing wrong w/ a parent speaking to a teacher if they have legitimate concerns over safety & legitimate sources. I say this from a parental & teacher side of view as I have done both.
And nothing. what are you reading into my posts? Imagining someone starting a thread about my child... a) how would I know? b) why is it a bad thing that I'm trying to gain some knowledge about my child's classmate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
I offered some insight based on my experience with the austic child I had in my classroom. When dealing with my student, I needed to intervene in a POSITIVE manner in order to accomplish any results. If I simply got angry and punished the child it would accomplish nothing.

It seems that you feel the child is not changing his negative behavior because the teachers are "coddling" him. Since you obviously know nothing about what the child's issues are, you know nothing about how to handle him. Maybe that is the best way to deal with the child. Imagine how he would be if they stuck him in a time out every time he had a problem.

The school administration obviously feels the child should be in that class. How would you feel if that was your child and some nosy mother was asking all kinds of questions about your child when it is clearly none of their business?
yes you did. Thank you for that.

I never said the school is doing anything wrong. I'm just curious what makes this kid tick. People ask ALL kinds of questions of a much more disturbing nature than mine. This is an anonymous forum. The whole point is to discuss topics with other parents without having to worry about people knowing who the thread is about. I'm not some nosey mother asking all kinds of questions. If I were I'd be at the school asking what's up with this kid. I'm not.

Now that he actually punched another kid, I think I have a legitimate concern. I could probably talk to the teacher now. I probably won't though, since it wasn't my kid who got hit.

You all don't need to be so defensive. If you have or know a kid like this, you probably have the insight I was looking for. Sorry if I offended anyone. I think if it were my kid, I might be happy someone was trying to learn something about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting