Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 07:52 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times

Advertisements

My daughter has been on a good trek lately- good grades, no trouble- but last night I went to a concert and took her house key- has had people over when I've ben gone- anyway I get a text from someone who drove by that she has some people over then My cell phone dies..... so I borrow a phone -tell her to please leave -call the boyfriend's dad-whom I had already called b/f I left and told him to check on them -they are 17 and 18... they left and went to BF's house-I think I over reacted-I was so MAD when i got home and blew up-she said she hated me !!! etc..... did I over react or what- it was probably 5 kids- they sat on my deck- not sure if they had alcohol or not but our city has passed a law that if kids are caught with parents not home and alcohol is present- parents will be fined- doubt we will ever be CAUGHT but I want them to be responsible!! I have asked other parents and they say they go thru these teen issues also-saying they hate you etc- just trying to decide If I am being too hard on her-she said she wanted them to leave but they like coming to our house- not sure if she is just saying that so she won't be in trouble....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
It's your house. She should have had enough respect for you to ask about the friends before you left. Since she doesn't pay the mortgage and bills, she has no business inviting people in while you're away, especially if it's people you don't know.

About the 'I hate you'. She'll get over that fast enough. Next time she wants something, see how much she loves you.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
okay.... she disobeyed you. You called her out. She got mad because she got caught.

Sounds like normal child behavior.

Why are you questioning your actions? Unless you beat her when you got home, I don't see an overrection.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:12 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
I would talk to her and explain the legal consequences that apply to parents.
The way things are now one never knows when a molehill can turn into a mountain. If your deck happened to collapse or someone had a seizure, there was a fire---the list is endless---then the potential for disaster is great.

Perhaps your homeowner's policy is a good place to start. After she reads through that she may have a clearer idea of the liability of a property owner.

I wouldn't give 'I hate you' much consideration.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
You made it clear before you left that she was not to have people over. She blatantly disobeyed you. Doesn't matter what they were doing. I don't see an over reaction.

We never allowed mixed company with no adults home. My kids could have same-sex friends over with no adults home but only friends that we knew about ahead of time AND we were sure to let the other parents know the situation to give them the same opportunity to nix it for their own child.

I wouldn't worry too much about a 17/18 yo telling you she hates you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting