Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 AM

21 posts, read 55,051 times

Advertisements

What do parents think of ''your baby can read''. My friend residing in egypt wants me to gat her one for her new. Cost $200 and it's her money. Is it worth the price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:47 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
I'd say no.
Your child will learn to read eventually and with proper phonetic teaching, not just memorizing letters that they don't even know.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
I've seen this infomercial and I was pretty impressed by it. I do believe that it helps your child learn to read faster than other kids. BUT they'll level out with the other kids by 1st or 2nd grade. It's not going to make them better than other kids thier age at reading for the rest of thier life, but what I'm sure it will do is give your child confidence in reading and make them enjoy reading, which is SO SO valuable. Could you do that yourself with a lot of reading to/with them, lots of positive reinforcment, and support? Probably. So is it worth $200? Probably not.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times
I actually bought this...

It is a different way to read at first and the children start to memorize the words, but if you help them recognize letters and their sounds they will learn phonics along with it. They do start by memorization, but then learn phonics as their vocabulary grows.

BUT, this didn't work well for us and I'm not sure if it's just my child or perhaps the age at which I started it.

I bought it when she was around 18 months (or maybe even closer to 24 months)... anyway, my child would watch the video for a little bit and then be bored. She wouldn't sit through it and hardly paid attention to the parts she did watch. Same with the flash cards... she learned maybe 4 words through the flashcards, but otherwise, she wanted to just open them to see what those strange letters were referring to. Maybe this would have worked out in the end, but I ditched this method and just went to straight phonics.

Plus, I found some inconsistencies with this program... for example the would "apple" would be written with two different types of "a"s, which can confuse a child who is just learning... Same with other letters when there are different ways of writing them.

So, I think either starting earlier or having a child who wants to watch the boring videos and do the flashcards is needed.

I will try this again at a younger age with my next child, but I'm not holding out hope.

Mostly, children do level out, however, the brain patterns that you're creating earlier will hold for future learning too. I'm not a big fan of "all the kids level out" in the end. True and not true in my opinion.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
oh I agree. I'm just talking about in this specific circumstance. But, maybe it will lead to a lifetime of advanced reading, I don't know. I just think that it's more likely that it's a parent actively supporting reading in a fun way that helps a child excel (or become "advanced") in reading, not nessesarily a $200 program. I'm not saying that all kids will even out in everything and be at the same level. Of course some children will be more successful than others in learning skills, for different reasons. And in my opinion, the major reason some kids learn better or faster than others is time and support from teachers and parents.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Very thoughtful of your friend to want to buy it for you, but really it is not necessary. I think it's a waste of time and money considering that kids will learn to read eventually, why on earth would you want your baby to read?
It's not going to change anything else about their emotional or physical behaviors and capabilities, and I doubt it will help them in future reading endeavors anyway.
They grow up so fast anyway and are bombarded with free learning opportunities on a daily basis.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM

280 posts, read 1,136,088 times
I don't know about the your baby can read program but we started using this book with our 2 (almost 3) year old. She loves it, can't wait to do the lessons, it seems to be effective, and it is free from our local library.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
Mostly, children do level out, however, the brain patterns that you're creating earlier will hold for future learning too. I'm not a big fan of "all the kids level out" in the end. True and not true in my opinion.
It's not so much that kids level out, just that they all eventually learn to the best of their own ability. Starting earlier does not create cognitive ability. Waiting does not "waste" ability. A brilliant child is still brilliant even if he doesn't learn to read until he is *gasp" six years old (like my son who is now near the top of his HS class). When a child is ready to learn to read they learn very quickly.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It's not so much that kids level out, just that they all eventually learn to the best of their own ability. Starting earlier does not create cognitive ability. Waiting does not "waste" ability. A brilliant child is still brilliant even if he doesn't learn to read until he is *gasp" six years old (like my son who is now near the top of his HS class). When a child is ready to learn to read they learn very quickly.
Exactly

I believe the best thing is to give your child experiences and curiosity about the world. There are lots of reading readiness activities in "play". Plopping a child in front of a video and having him sit still for flash cards is not going to help him in the long run. Instead, take him to the park and run around, picking up leaves and notice the differences in how they look. Read to him, help him pick out letters or words on a page every now and then.

What exactly is the benefit of having a 3 yo that can read?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times
ive seen the commercials, ive watched the infomercial, and in all honesty its a tempting thing to get, HOWEVER the price tag keeps me at bay, if it were something cheaper, lets say $40 or $50, yeah it might be worth looking into, but im not spending $200 for something that, while it might work for some children, may not work for my own, even at that age, everybody learns differently, that and im guessing my son will learn soon enough, he is almost a year old now, that went by fast enough, no rush to make him grow up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting