Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 10,248 times

Advertisements

hello,
i am going to job corps to get my GED then after that i would like to enroll in medical school. i was wondering since im 16 and having serious problems at home, can i get emancipated at job corps so i wont have to come back and live in a home that does not want me and does not have the room for me to stay here, which is currently living with my aunt. i am very depressed at home and sad. i get disability from my disease in my leg which is 679.00. since i will be living rent free at jobs corps i will be saving 500.00 dollars a month for 8 months which will be 4,000 dollars and enough to get a room mate and share the bills. i am mature for my age and i dont smoke or drink. my family cant even have a family gathering with out arguing and im so tired of crying because i get so scared when they argue. my boyfriend wants me to come and live with him and his family but i dont know they are just so nice and they dont argue they just have fun. i want to be in a family just like that where there is love and joy around.i have dreams and goals in life and i really dont want to go back to foster care or my family i just wish there is someone out there that can understand me.

thanks everyone who has given me advice!
it has help me understand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 PM

191 posts, read 510,585 times
1. A GED is not a High School diploma. If you fail to get a proper education you will spend the rest of your life regretting it. There is no better time then now to get your education.
2. Your parents own you until you are 18. Emancipation is not something you can generally do unless you are independently wealthy. If the situation at home is truly abusive, then a foster home is your best option. It would provide you with a measure of stability; allowing you to finish school. (see 1.)
3. All teenagers think they are mature for their age. News flash: You aren't. The most mature thing you can do is accept that fact. I remind myself of my own immaturity daily, and I'm well into my 30s.
4. Living with your boyfriend is a bad idea. You'll be pregnant within a year, and once you have kids your life ends... well, not quite, but your ability to focus on "you" ends until the child leaves the nest.

Maybe a good start would be to sit down with a trusted adult, such as your school counselor, and try to figure out what is "really" going on at home.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
1. A GED is not a High School diploma. If you fail to get a proper education you will spend the rest of your life regretting it. There is no better time then now to get your education.
2. Your parents own you until you are 18. Emancipation is not something you can generally do unless you are independently wealthy. If the situation at home is truly abusive, then a foster home is your best option. It would provide you with a measure of stability; allowing you to finish school. (see 1.)
3. All teenagers think they are mature for their age. News flash: You aren't. The most mature thing you can do is accept that fact. I remind myself of my own immaturity daily, and I'm well into my 30s.
4. Living with your boyfriend is a bad idea. You'll be pregnant within a year, and once you have kids your life ends... well, not quite, but your ability to focus on "you" ends until the child leaves the nest.

Maybe a good start would be to sit down with a trusted adult, such as your school counselor, and try to figure out what is "really" going on at home.

well that was not my question but thanks anyway for your help

Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,185 times
The short answer is: Yes. In Washington State, you can apply for emancipation if you are 16 or older.

You can find the written law about it in the link below - the passage I quoted below points out the things the court will be looking for: verification of eligible age, residency status, the ability of the applicant to manage their own finances, and the applicant's ability to manage the rest of his/her life.

In addition to that I'd say that you should really strive to work things out with your family. Living on $700 a month is not realistic. Even with roommates (who, like family, can be horrible, unreliable, troublemakers, abusive, etc.). Also, you will not be able to go to college (even a community college) on $700/month.

Unless you are in a truly abusive situation, I'd suggest toughing out the next two years and making education your focus. If you really want to be a doctor, it might mean giving up the desire to be legally independent so that you can spend your energy on studying and preparing yourself for college. You can't get into medical school without getting your undergraduate first. And getting into medical school with only a GED is going to be a lot harder than with a high school diploma.

Info below:

RCW 13.64.010: Declaration of emancipation.

RCW 13.64.050
Emancipation decree — Certified copy — Notation of emancipated status.

(1) The court shall grant the petition for emancipation, except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, if the petitioner proves the following facts by clear and convincing evidence: (a) That the petitioner is sixteen years of age or older; (b) that the petitioner is a resident of the state; (c) that the petitioner has the ability to manage his or her financial affairs; and (d) that the petitioner has the ability to manage his or her personal, social, educational, and nonfinancial affairs.

(2) A parent, guardian, custodian, or in the case of a dependent minor, the department, may oppose the petition for emancipation. The court shall deny the petition unless it finds, by clear and convincing evidence, that denial of the grant of emancipation would be detrimental to the interests of the minor.

(3) Upon entry of a decree of emancipation by the court the petitioner shall be given a certified copy of the decree. The decree shall instruct the petitioner to obtain a Washington driver's license or a Washington identification card and direct the department of licensing make a notation of the emancipated status on the license or identification card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaquisha View Post
hello,
i am going to job corps to get my GED then after that i would like to enroll in medical school. i was wondering since im 16 and having serious problems at home, can i get emancipated at job corps so i wont have to come back and live in a home that does not want me and does not have the room for me to stay here, which is currently living with my aunt. i am very depressed at home and sad. i get disability from my disease in my leg which is 679.00. since i will be living rent free at jobs corps i will be saving 500.00 dollars a month for 8 months which will be 4,000 dollars and enough to get a room mate and share the bills. i am mature for my age and i dont smoke or drink. my family cant even have a family gathering with out arguing and im so tired of crying because i get so scared when they argue. my boyfriend wants me to come and live with him and his family but i dont know they are just so nice and they dont argue they just have fun. i want to be in a family just like that where there is love and joy around.i have dreams and goals in life and i really dont want to go back to foster care or my family i just wish there is someone out there that can understand me.

Last edited by sofia76; 06-04-2010 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 09:50 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I don't know what state you are in, but emancipation is possible. I know one of the requirements is for you to prove that you can support yourself. But someone posted info above, so that's a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
Not true.

Quote:
2. Your parents own you until you are 18. Emancipation is not something you can generally do unless you are independently wealthy.
Not true.

Quote:
If the situation at home is truly abusive, then a foster home is your best option. It would provide you with a measure of stability; allowing you to finish school. (see 1.)
Good grief, NOT true!

Quote:
While I would agree this is a bad idea, you have no clue about much of anything about this girl to even go there.

Quote:
This is the only sensible advice you have given.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaquisha View Post
hello,

If you are not being physically or sexually abused, merely subject to frequent arguments, your best bet for emancipation is probably to wait for two years and finish high school with the best grades that you can. The GED route is not likely to be satisfactory in the long run, nor is moving in with a transient, teenage boyfriend.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Since your were in FosterCare, is that how you wound up at your Aunts?
Did Fostercare get your Aunt appointed at your guardian?
Were you in fostercare when you went into JobCore?
Your fostercare worker has to have a 'plan' for you. If you 'age' out of fostercare Most states have programs for FosterKids who age out @ 18.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
You don't go from a GED to "medical school".... First, if you want to go to medical school, you have to complete a 4 year degree in a related (medical) field. After that, you have to go to medical school (which can be another 4 to 6 years and 2 years of internships).

You can get emancipated, but I would think twice. Don't think Job Corps is going to get you on the road to be a millionaire. Job Corps is typically for troubled kids and helps them to get a GED and maybe a trade and that's it.

Living with the boyfriend?? BAD idea.... VERY bad idea. 1. You will, most likely, end up pregnant. 2. You won't be able to truly focus on what you want to do

You're 16. You're not mature, even though you think you are. All teenagers think they're so mature, so worldly, so intelligent, and know everything. Reality? They know NOTHING. NADA.

Do you really think you can survive on $679 a month??? Even with a room mate??? Guess again. Most people make that or more in a week and still struggle to get by.

Your best bet is to stay put or find another relative to stay with, finish high school, get a job --- and I don't want to hear about any "disability from a disease in your leg". That's BS --- you were obviously trained to milk the system. If you can go to Job Corps, think you're going to go to medical school, then you can get a J-O-B to support yourself. Don't leech off the system.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,431 times
thank goodness you said something PassTheChocolate, I cringed when I read the initial response!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:31 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,668 times
About the GED. Unless you have a GED because you are a homeschooler with a great transcript, high ACTs and high SATs you are probably going to have trouble getting into any 4 year college.
A GED may get you into a community college in your case but it's going to be tough getting into a medical school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting