Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 AM

35 posts, read 162,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieGJ View Post
Wow! I just found this site when I Googled the Mansion Restaurant. My grandparents owned it when I was growing up. It was at the very end of Main Street and they lived on the top floor of the building. Does anyone remember this? I know the building is still there, or at least it was about 10 years ago when I last visited Brookville. Sometimes I long for the simple life of such a small town, but I know that the employment opportunities make it fairly unrealistic to live there. I agree that the "powers that be" seem to be happy to keep it status quo, and not let any new industry or businesses move in there. It's such a shame because it's such a beautiful part of the country and I know many people would enjoy it. Do they still have the Laurel Festival? My brother always raced in the soapbox derby. This was in the late 60's, early 70's. Love to hear anyone else's memories!

We still do the Laurel Festival. We just had it last week June 23-28. They do some items. But not as much as they use to do. They want so much money to ride any of the 5 "kid" rides. Not much to do for the bigger kids. They wait for the Fair to come into town. Even then it is the same rides. That show up from the year before.
They just had the Budwisers Clidesdales yesterday. They are so big! Then we have the "Cook Forest" items to do. If the sun would come out, it keeps raining.
I like living in Brookville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,683 times
You're right, the store is called Mike's Comet Market. And the store in front of the Litch house was the old Sheetz store. The house used to be Fleeger's art supply place when I was younger. An amazing old place!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,683 times
Red face Litch House

you're right, the grocery store is called Mike's Comet Market, and the store in front of the old Litch House was the original Sheetz store. The house used to be Fleeger's Art Supplies when I was younger. It's since been bought and repaired, repainted. There's some story about the floor of an upper room in the house. A design for devil worshipping or something. Not sure what that's about.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,780 times
Default Bell family history

Hi

I am researching my family history and have found out that a part of my family settled in your area in the 1860's. Originally from Devon, they emigrated from Wales, their names were Bell.

Any information would be great.

Thank you

Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,626 times
Sorry for necro-thread bumping...

The present day 7-11 in Brookville, which was once Sheetz, was a mom & pop general and produce store before that. The old shop was closer to the road than the present building, and the original building was made out of what I can remember - barn wood. Sometime in the 1980's they tore down the old store, dug out the hillside and placed a new building back to allow for fuel pumps and parking.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,668 times
Ha this thread is funny- I grew up in the 'Ville and moved to Pittsburgh for a job. Now, I can't stand to be in Brookville for more than a few days. It really starts to get on my nerves.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 PM

602 posts, read 2,033,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Ha this thread is funny- I grew up in the 'Ville and moved to Pittsburgh for a job. Now, I can't stand to be in Brookville for more than a few days. It really starts to get on my nerves.
My family has had a place in Cook Forest for sometime and I'm no stranger to Brookville.
Brookville is a quaint little town, probably one of my favorite small towns in PA, but I could see where it could get really boring really fast if you lived there 24-7.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,465 times
My mother's family are from Brookville (the Swongers, Delps, McElhinneys), & I spent much of my life growing up in that beautiful, small town...

Now that I'm all grown up & live a few states away, I look back fondly on those times...

From the time I was a boy, there is one piece of property I'd always wished I could own - The Brady Craig House. Does the house still stand?

Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,283 times
Does anybody know if Rose Twp. residents along Route 36 N has city water and sewer or does everyone have wells and private septic?

Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Rose Township has water and sewer out to past the High School. The Township sort of surrounds Brookville on three sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania