Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:24 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,590,345 times

Advertisements

This link is from two years ago Record Number of Pa. Democrats Registered - NYTimes.com but it shows the number of registered Democrats is almost 800,000 more then Republicans in Pennsylvania.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:22 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,284,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Pennsylvania should be a reliably red state. Having been through most of the state, mostly on a motorcycle, I just did not see the sort of people who waited for government benefits. Almost all of the votes for Democrats come from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. In fact, Sestak almost won this time too. The rest of the counties went 70-30 for Republicans. What is it about Luzerne and Lackawanna that went for Sestak, albeit very narrowly? Cambria was close too.
Luzerne and Lackawanna counties have always been Democrat strongholds for better or worse. I am not a fan of either party and hope someday America wakes up and starts voting third party.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,175,543 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania should be a reliably red state. Having been through most of the state, mostly on a motorcycle, I just did not see the sort of people who waited for government benefits. Almost all of the votes for Democrats come from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. In fact, Sestak almost won this time too. The rest of the counties went 70-30 for Republicans. What is it about Luzerne and Lackawanna that went for Sestak, albeit very narrowly? Cambria was close too.
Cambria was as almost everyone knows was the home of the well liked (in the district especially in Johnstown) Democrat John Murtha. Cambria County also voted for Obama by a small margin so I guess you could say that Johnstown and the nearby towns are Democrat with the rural and small towns of the county being more Republican.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,432,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
This link is from two years ago Record Number of Pa. Democrats Registered - NYTimes.com but it shows the number of registered Democrats is almost 800,000 more then Republicans in Pennsylvania.
Quote:
Some of the biggest numbers of those who switched to become Democrats were recorded in the Republican suburbs of Philadelphia, which are likely to be an important battleground in the primary. Analysts say suburbanites who registered Democratic are probably either opponents of the war in Iraq who want to vote for Senator Barack Obama or professional women who want to support Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton.
I don't know the statistics offhand, but I can tell you that a number of people who changed parties in order to vote as a Democrat in the Spring 2008 primary, eventually switched back...some of them, the day after the election. Interesting...

Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,337,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I don't know the statistics offhand, but I can tell you that a number of people who changed parties in order to vote as a Democrat in the Spring 2008 primary, eventually switched back...some of them, the day after the election. Interesting...
Operation Chaos, I presume.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:18 PM

7,977 posts, read 7,372,169 times
Quote:
Operation Chaos, I presume.

Right before the spring primary, when I went around campaigning for the Republican candidate, I took a stack of voter registration forms with me for any unregistered voters (or in case any Democrats wanted to change parties due to "buyer remorse"). Disgusted with Pelosi, Reid, Obamacare, and especially Obama himself, many Democrats did fill out these forms to change parties. After giving them time to grouse, I just handed them the forms and told them they could still do something about it. I personally took the forms to the Courthouse. There were quite a few.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 PM

356 posts, read 835,530 times
Since most of the state is Republican outside Philly and Pittsburgh, I'm not surprised in the least. PA's a swing state for a reason.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM

356 posts, read 835,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Most state politicians ignore the western counties, unless they're from one of the western counties themselves.

That's why, unless I have to, I prefer to vote for someone from central/western PA b/c otherwise I believe they're gonna screw us over when it comes time for the budget. One of the reasons I'm a big Tom Ridge fan.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM

14,196 posts, read 22,810,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
That's why, unless I have to, I prefer to vote for someone from central/western PA b/c otherwise I believe they're gonna screw us over when it comes time for the budget. One of the reasons I'm a big Tom Ridge fan.
Well this year the gubernatorial race was a bonanza. You were voting for a Pittsburgher one way or the other.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:12 AM

42,006 posts, read 75,385,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
You had me until you got to the Tom Ridge part ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania