Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
On US 220 last month I saw a billboard for a local auto shop: "WE FIX WHITE TRUCKS (And Other Colors, Too)" - reference to the noticeable propensity for the gas people to be driving white trucks.

An upper floor in Wellsboro now has an engineering firm, http://www.gtstech.com/about/locations.htm - the conference I was at last spring included a presentation saying that a study had estimated that each active drill rig created jobs for 3 engineers so it's nice to see at least some of these jobs in the local area. (The same study said each rig also created jobs for 4 lawyers. )
fyi...

the reason you see a bunch of white pick-ups being driven by "gas people", is that it's been studied that white vehicles have a slightly higher resale value. which is why you see most fleet business vehicles are white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
We've bought 2 new white vehicles over the years that have sat as model year leftovers. Can't say about resale since we drove both until the engines seized at well over 100k.

One explanation I heard was that since most of them come from Texas the white is more reflective and hence vehicles are cooler when they get back in them. Don't know if that's speculation or a real reason.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Ford usually makes a lot of white trucks because that color is easy to put company logos on. If you look at them, and Chevy, they both have a "fleet" type model, rubber instead of carpet, vinyl seats, bare bones interior, which almost always gets white paint. That's what I have.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM

889 posts, read 2,575,277 times
When I read the article below I thought of this thread.

Oil Boomtowns See Rise In Drunken Driving And Bar Fights, Threatening To Overwhelm Law Enforcement

Some great quotes:
Quote:
_____ ____, 27, of Montrose, Pa., said she knows of at least three marriages that ended when local women abandoned their husbands for gas-field workers.
It's "because of these Southern gentlemen, with their Southern accents, and the girls move in with these guys to take care of them," she said. "You get to spend their money, and they're gone two weeks at a time."
Quote:
"We definitely do drink a lot. I ain't going to lie," said Jordon Bourque, a 23-year-old pipe inspector from Lafayette, La., who was drinking beer at a bar in the Williamsport, Pa., area one recent night.

But he said that many in the industry obey the law and that authorities in Pennsylvania have less tolerance for troublemakers than police in small-town Texas, where rig workers are used to raising hell and getting a pass from law enforcement.
Quote:
Back in Pennsylvania, a Bradford County commissioner, Doug McLinko, said the crime spike doesn't change his mind about the importance of the drilling boom to the local economy. Other states, he said, would "cut an arm off" to have such a surge.
What I learned:
- New term "abandon your husband",
- Small town PA police are stricter than small town Texas police.
- Local pols are aware this brings jobs into the area.
- Towanda is considered a boomtown. That's something you would not have heard said since two or three generations (150 years) ago.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Well another gas worker from Texas just killed another local woman the other morning while drunk driving at 8 AM!

I don't mind the gas business per se, but some of these workers I've about had enough of.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 AM

889 posts, read 2,575,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well another gas worker from Texas just killed another local woman the other morning while drunk driving at 8 AM!

I don't mind the gas business per se, but some of these workers I've about had enough of.
You're no doubt referring to this.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
You're no doubt referring to this.
I am.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Pipelines are going in everywhere, two different contractors have put up two different numbering systems on roads around Mansfield, in addition to the official township road name signs they all have too.
More observations regarding these: Greetings from Pipeline Road 7

Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM

A new tourist attraction now, the "Marcellus Borealis"?
Photographer compares Marcellus landscape, opinion - The Wellsboro Gazette : The Marketplace

Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Seen at a rural road junction in Tioga County today:

An open top steel drum, hand lettered on one side "MCDONALDS TRASH" and on the other side "BOTELLAS PLASTICOS"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania