Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,226 times

Advertisements

Thinking of buying home in york pa in fireside district from the Baltimore area its close to prospect cemetary area any feedback thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,341 times
Jamaican you say?

You'll probably want to get to know Philly too. Don't forget, Philly has the second largest Jamaican population of any city in America; only NYC has more.
That's the reason the Dancehall/Bar scene is so widespread here in the city.

And get this; there was a time when West Philly was the one center-of-gravity for the Ja community, but anyone familar enough with the city has noticed the the Ja community has snuck out of West over the past decade and settling in to other parts of the city. Thus making it seem like there's Ja themed events going on in various neighborhoods on any given night.

The truth is that PA has a swelling Jamaican population. I mean, you can find Dancehall events in central PA. Now, quite often that's because of the College's and Universities but the Ja community seems to be legitimately spreading in Southeast PA.

Here: http://caribbeanbeatz.com/ <-- It's all about that site as far as you're concerned.

And btw, the 2nd largest Jmaican population goes along with 34 other ethnicities living IN the city.

In other words, believe it or not, you've moved to a Jamaican enclave - as far as states go.

Welcome

Last edited by tech_bonus; 11-05-2011 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: link

Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Possibly you just saw your first snowfall? Keep in mind that PA does get snow. There are some areas that also have hills. Hills can complicate your commute to work and school. An SUV, with four wheel drive, can help - but go slow until you get familiar with winter weather driving.

I would probably recommend renting - at least until you get through one of our first winters. It would be a great time to check out where you want to potentially buy - see how well they clear the streets and whether or not there are any problems with high water and spring rains.

Fortunately; the York area usually gets less snowfall and they have milder winters than the northern part of our state.

I used to drive truck to Miami. I would be scared if I was going to live in Miami. Down there I have spent nights outside with broken down trucks and listened to gun fire and watched circling helicopters with search lights. On the last trip, that I drove down there, the police were after somebody only feet from my truck. I think that you will find York fairly quite compared to Miami.

Anyway; good luck with your new home and good luck renting or buying a new house.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
Default Lets be honest!!!!!

I dont mean any disrespect by saying this, but I have met alot of racism in York City and outside of York. I am a african american male, that has an education and a master's, I pay my taxes, and Ive never been arrested before in my life, never done drugs or drank alcohol. I own my home with my wife and she is from Trinidad, and she is a RN. The cops down here stereotype, I from NJ and there use to be alot of racism when I was in high school, but this is crazy in York, PA. My car I braught it and it has tinted windows I get pulled over all the time I have a clean driving record. The younger cops are cool, the ones that look like they are in their 40's or older talk down to me like Im nothing. I work in healthcare and have tried coming to York Hospital I applied about 6 or 7 times before I got a call. Even I talked to some of people that work there that are caucasian, they even told me I would have a hard time getting in because of my skin color. The driving laws are rediculous also. In PA if someone sees you swerve overthe line that divides the road, not knowing why you swerved because you could be avoiding something infront of you, someone else can write a complaint and you can get a ticket? I thought cops give out tickets? Then its one persons word vs the other how can you prove anything? I just think this state is all about money and thats it and the so called racism still exists people just dont want to admit it and its worse here than any other surrounding county. People just dont want to admitt it. Especially with our president being black.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,341 times
Default Not surprised....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj28 View Post
I dont mean any disrespect by saying this, but I have met alot of racism in York City and outside of York. I am a african american male, that has an education and a master's, I pay my taxes, and Ive never been arrested before in my life, never done drugs or drank alcohol. I own my home with my wife and she is from Trinidad, and she is a RN. The cops down here stereotype, I from NJ and there use to be alot of racism when I was in high school, but this is crazy in York, PA. My car I braught it and it has tinted windows I get pulled over all the time I have a clean driving record. The younger cops are cool, the ones that look like they are in their 40's or older talk down to me like Im nothing. I work in healthcare and have tried coming to York Hospital I applied about 6 or 7 times before I got a call. Even I talked to some of people that work there that are caucasian, they even told me I would have a hard time getting in because of my skin color. The driving laws are rediculous also. In PA if someone sees you swerve overthe line that divides the road, not knowing why you swerved because you could be avoiding something infront of you, someone else can write a complaint and you can get a ticket? I thought cops give out tickets? Then its one persons word vs the other how can you prove anything? I just think this state is all about money and thats it and the so called racism still exists people just dont want to admit it and its worse here than any other surrounding county. People just dont want to admitt it. Especially with our president being black.

Hmm...ofcourse this doesn't suprise me at all.

Yeah, places like York is one of the reasons why I was edging the OP in to getting familiar with Philly - just in case she was met with some of that historic, stark,racial opposition PA is bathed in - her and her family could easily and quickly transition in to the city.

I'm almost certain Philly would feel much more comfortable to her and her husband than 85-90% of the rest of the state for the reasons I stated above.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:59 PM

12 posts, read 19,787 times
You definitely will be bored...come live for 6 mts first.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM

12 posts, read 19,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_bonus View Post
Hmm...ofcourse this doesn't suprise me at all.

Yeah, places like York is one of the reasons why I was edging the OP in to getting familiar with Philly - just in case she was met with some of that historic, stark,racial opposition PA is bathed in - her and her family could easily and quickly transition in to the city.

I'm almost certain Philly would feel much more comfortable to her and her husband than 85-90% of the rest of the state for the reasons I stated above.
Racism is everywhere....most people are not, but the ones that are you cant change. You will find it even in Philly.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 652 times
We are thinking about moving to west.york area but very nervous...almost ready to put a contract on a house....nervouse about crime and schools

Old 06-24-2015, 10:39 PM

121 posts, read 260,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookie4123 View Post
We are thinking about moving to west.york area but very nervous...almost ready to put a contract on a house....nervouse about crime and schools
Where in West York?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania