Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 12:34 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,648 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

What are the issues with the older stone homes from the 19th century? What is involved with maintaining them? I tried doing a search on this, but couldn't find anything. Someone once told me that moisture is an issue because the stone constantly wicks moisture up from the ground. Is this true?

We were in a stone home, and it did seem stuffy, and kinda damp. This was in the Summer. I realize that the rooms are often small. That is okay. Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 02:51 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
katnip kid,

I don’t have a stone house. I do have a stone fireplace and chimney. I have to point (repair) the mortar and keep it sealed. If you do not maintain your chimneys they can wick water and cause leaking. Right now I cannot find the last product I used. However; here is a link to one product: http://getcleanersonline.com/wet_look_stone_sealer_LP.htm?gclid=CL6n4IHwy6oCFYi o4AodriI92A
I would check with an masonry supply dealer and ask their opinion. The last time I sprayed my masonry I used a product that you could not see when it dried. The link that I posted gives stone a wet look. It all depends on what you want. Check with your professionals.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:10 PM

Thank you, Fisheye. Every little bit of info helps. I did see in one listing that the building had been repointed. I figured it was a repair of some type, but again could not find info. Info on how to care for a stone home and what to look for when buying one must be out there, I just don't know where to find it.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:16 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
If you want to put on an addition the stone might be hard to match. Snow caved in my patio roof taking a top layer of bricks with it. Only 2 became totally useless so now I have extra mortar between the top rows. My house was built in 1950 and I haven't had water problems due to the stone and have 2 stone matching fireplaces. I had a water problem/dampness in the basement. It's very common in Western Pa.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:05 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
katnip kid,

Here is the name and address of a masonry supply store that has been in business for may years: A W Zacharias Mason Supplies
455 Chestnut St, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301-1916 (570) 421-1040
While this business could be a very long ways away form you; you could still call for information. Possibly you have good, informative businesses close to you?

You mentioned, in your original post, that the air seemed stuffy. Was anybody living in the house at that time? Possibly it just need a dehumidifier? You also mentioned that the rock had been repointed. Hopefully it was not repointed because the foundation settled?

Anyway; good luck. My wife loves stone houses - she always wanted one.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 PM

Fisheyw, I can understand why folks want stone houses. They are beautiful, and full of history. The house we looked at was indeed lived in at the time, and it was Summer. No dehumidifier was running that I was aware of.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:59 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,532 times
Some of those had, in older days, a stone trough in the basement with spring water running through it to keep milk or other foods cold. You might investigate old maps to see where streams ran, and maybe need to look at altering the drainage. Or just use a dehumidifier. My folks' house has a huge thick limestone block foundation. Cold air and dampness collect in that basement in summer. Dehumidifier is required. That house is one that had a trough in a corner of the basement, and old maps show a stream crossing the highway and running near the house, plus that property has a lot of springs on it in various places. Old farms located the houses and outbuildings where they found ample water.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Someone once told me that moisture is an issue because the stone constantly wicks moisture up from the ground. Is this true?
We just purchased an all masonry house built with concrete block. Probably would be the same as all stone house, it's much more damp than the other house. On the other hand it stays quite cool in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania