Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 AM

41,941 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

^^^ A little comedy for a Friday morning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I'm worried that a bunch of foreigners are going to buy the liquor stores, bring all their families over from their respective country and employ only their family members, and squeeze the native born American's out of working in that industry. This is just as bad as outsourcing, which I am frankly sick of! Keep PA liquor stores in American hands, even if it is state run, that is my opinion.
I'm not sure if this is a joke or a disturbing opinion. I'd like to think joke since it's pretty funny

Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
LCB 'progress': Another joke - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I'm not sure if this is a joke or a disturbing opinion. I'd like to think joke since it's pretty funny
Its not really a joke when more Americans are out of work because no one will hire them in their own native lands. Think about it - ever see an American working at a Chinese restaurant? They are great places to eat at, but at the end of the day do they really help the local economy (I bet most of that money gets sent back to China). Then again, area where I am moving away from, foreigners are buying all the chains (Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Sunoco, etc.), and only hiring their own families. I'm not saying foreigners can't invest in our businesses, but its scary that now we risk our service jobs going away for this practice. If they only hired fairly! Also, our government is starting to allow foreigners to buy property over 450K to become natural citizens. I'm not against people who come to this country for a better life, but we need to take care of our own people first. I'm sick of seeing Americans get replaced by workers around the world in all sectors.

Last edited by bluemonday; 12-02-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Its not really a joke when more Americans are out of work because no one will hire them in their own native lands. Think about it - ever see an American working at a Chinese restaurant? They are great places to eat at, but at the end of the day do they really help the local economy (I bet most of that money gets sent back to China). Then again, area where I am moving away from, foreigners are buying all the chains (Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Sunoco, etc.), and only hiring their own families. I'm not saying foreigners can't invest in our businesses, but its scary that now we risk our service jobs going away for this practice. If they only hired fairly! Also, our government is starting to allow foreigners to buy property over 450K to become natural citizens. I'm not against people who come to this country for a better life, but we need to take care of our own people first. I'm sick of seeing Americans get replaced by workers around the world in all sectors.
then it's a disturbing opinion. foreigners buy franchises because they don't have to worry about the cultural aspects of running a business since the company does all the advertising, market research, etc. If you ran your restaurant, wouldn't you hire your family or make them work for cheap? after all, you may already pay for their healthcare at home. I doubt all the money gets sent home to china, they may be saving to send their kid to college. the reality is, americans own plenty of coffee shops and hire plenty of other americans. many buy american roasted beans. sunoco is a poorly run company. why don't you start a poll, where you do stop, wawa/sheetz or sunoco? why wasn't sunoco in the wawa vs sheetz poll? because no one cares. it's a shame but that's the way it is. why would foreigners come to dominate the wine business unless americans weren't interested in selling it? the only way that's possible is if foreigners are more capable than Americans. is that what you are saying? honestly, I know people who want their own business but I don't know any americans who dream of opening their own DnD...or dealing with crapass sunoco whose gas is expensive, convenience stores crappy. if anything, fewer people, americans and foreigners, are employed because these stores are shorter hours, large numbers of people shop in jersey or delaware (and yet, those stores aren't all owned by foreigners). worse, state workers hate what they do, in a private world, people who love wine can sell it. it's actually pretty typical for countries to give property owners a shot at rights because the country wants money. really, who lost their job because a foreigner buy a half million dollar house in their neighborhood or building? what do you mean taken care of? you mean free housing? welfare?

Last edited by pman; 12-02-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
then it's a disturbing opinion. foreigners buy franchises because they don't have to worry about the cultural aspects of running a business since the company does all the advertising, market research, etc. If you ran your restaurant, wouldn't you hire your family or make them work for cheap? after all, you may already pay for their healthcare at home. I doubt all the money gets sent home to china, they may be saving to send their kid to college. the reality is, americans own plenty of coffee shops and hire plenty of other americans. many buy american roasted beans. sunoco is a poorly run company. why don't you start a poll, where you do stop, wawa/sheetz or sunoco? why wasn't sunoco in the wawa vs sheetz poll? because no one cares. it's a shame but that's the way it is. why would foreigners come to dominate the wine business unless americans weren't interested in selling it? the only way that's possible is if foreigners are mroe capable than Americans. is that what you are saying? honestly, I know people who want their own business but I don't know any americans who dream of opening their own DnD...or dealing with crapass sunoco whose gas is expensive, convenience stores crappy. if anything, fewer people, americans and foreigners, are employed because these stores are shorter hours, large numbers of people shop in jersey or delaware (and yet, those stores aren't all owned by foreigners). it's actually pretty typical for countries to give property owners a shot at rights because the country wants money. really, who lost their job because a foreigner buy a half million dollar house in their neighborhood or building? what do you mean taken care of? you mean free housing? welfare?
One things you have to realize, England has been going through a similar transition over the last 50 years, and it is killing their economy. I can see if we didn't have these businesses and they were building them, but basically these were operated by Americans and employed Americans, and don't anymore. Although you brought up a good point - most people are going to choose Sheetz or WaWa over Sunoco, so maybe this won't be dead in America afterall. I just hope some of these younger 20 and 30 somethings in America start buying up these liquor stores and becoming small business owners if this happens. I just don't see it happened, young people just don't have drive and ambition, or money and banks willing to loan like they did in past...so yeah, maybe foreigners are more capable then Americans. What has our nation become?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
One things you have to realize, England has been going through a similar transition over the last 50 years, and it is killing their economy. I can see if we didn't have these businesses and they were building them, but basically these were operated by Americans and employed Americans, and don't anymore. Although you brought up a good point - most people are going to choose Sheetz or WaWa over Sunoco, so maybe this won't be dead in America afterall. I just hope some of these younger 20 and 30 somethings in America start buying up these liquor stores and becoming small business owners if this happens. I just don't see it happened, young people just don't have drive and ambition, or money and banks willing to loan like they did in past...so yeah, maybe foreigners are more capable then Americans. What has our nation become?
steel, and most other large industries employed far more foreigners than exist today in PA. the transition that is killing us isn't foreigners buying dunkin doughnuts, it's the transition from value production to debt fueled consumption to no consumption (or production). you are correct, I think there is a problem with young people. we graduate engineers at half the rate of the rest of the developed world and foreigners often do have more ambition. some speculate that the roman empire lasted so long because it allowed "foreigners" from the provinces to rise through the ranks and hold positions of power, including emperor which meant a lot of ambitious and capable people stayed within the power structure rather than rebel or leave

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM

41,941 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Are other states that do allow privately run liquor stores having a problem with disproportionate foreign ownership?

Is Pennsylvania, which does allow private ownership of beer distributors, having such a problem?

I don't see the issue ... and certainly don't see xenophobia as a legitimate reason to preserve the status quo.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
steel, and most other large industries employed far more foreigners than exist today in PA. the transition that is killing us isn't foreigners buying dunkin doughnuts, it's the transition from value production to debt fueled consumption to no consumption (or production). you are correct, I think there is a problem with young people. we graduate engineers at half the rate of the rest of the developed world and foreigners often do have more ambition. some speculate that the roman empire lasted so long because it allowed "foreigners" from the provinces to rise through the ranks and hold positions of power, including emperor which meant a lot of ambitious and capable people stayed within the power structure rather than rebel or leave
I like your analogy with Rome, as I feel more and more American is mirroring the Roman Empire before its collapse. Hope to be wrong, but I agree with you 100% about foreigners rising through ranks - clearly, they are better then us.

I read a recent statistic that we are graduating over 50% more people from 4 year colleges from the year 2000, but the number of people majoring in engineering has stayed level. I remember back in the "old days" of the 90's I went to school as a science major, and 1/2 of the members of our major dropped out or switched by time they were sophmores. Yes - majoring in science and engineering can be hard, but possible if you dedicate yourself.

So, I guess its a lot of things as you stated that is holding us back from progress of a nation. It should be up to our young Americans to have the ambition and drive to come up with something better across the street from these Dunkin Donuts and Sunocos, no matter who owns them...but no wait, that means they have to stop playing with their smartphones 24/7 and stop the entitlement syndrome...

Old 12-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are other states that do allow privately run liquor stores having a problem with disproportionate foreign ownership?

Is Pennsylvania, which does allow private ownership of beer distributors, having such a problem?

I don't see the issue ... and certainly don't see xenophobia as a legitimate reason to preserve the status quo.
I saw quite a few liquor shops in Maryland that were foreign owned, as far as beer distributors in PA I can't say that I've noticed since I typically don't go into beer stores since Wegmans started selling beer. Then again, that brings up another point - why privatize when supermarkets can sell liquor like in West Virginia?

I wouldn't call in xenophobia, just trying to preserve a little of what we own, produce, and sell as Americans. Can't find one darn thing anymore that is 100% American owned and sourced. Not our goods, and now our services. A lot of our food ingredients are not sourced internationally. So, even if something is from an American company and made in America, chances are its raw materials can come from a different source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania