Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Wegmans. They have a great selection of microbrews. But before they started selling beer, it was tough to even find a 6 pack of Guinness. Now that Wegmans sells beer, I tend to stay away from places that also sell 40 ouncers.
Wegman's are even harder to find than State Stores here in the Philly area. That's changing, thank goodness, but still, it's not like there's a million of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:29 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Right....the system (I believe) is a hold-over from the post-Prohibition era and the Quaker influence on Pennsylvania liquor laws. I've heard that same old tired argument from the anti-privatization lobby -- "do you want liquor stores on every corner?". Well, yes I do! It would certainly be a heck of a lot easier on me. And really, people will just go to NJ and DE to stores that are more convenient and user-friendly, so what's the point, PA?
The truth is that liquor stores are associated with blight and crime. People are so desperate for their alcohol sometimes that they will rob liquor stores... so by adding more stores that sell alcoholic beverages, a city or state will add to its crime risk. I lived in PA for a while, and am strongly considering going back. One thing I liked was how you couldn't just go out and buy intoxicating chemicals everywhere.

Where I live right now, the entire city was "dry" but for selling wine and beer at food stores... you couldn't get hard liquor anywhere unless you went to a different town. Then the city council voted to allow stores dedicated to liquor and/or tobacco and what did we get... stores popping up all over the place that sell liquor and tobacco. Literally within two months we had something like TEN new stores pop up that sell these things... and they are VICES. Few people in town (apart from the burnout smokers and drinkers) actually wanted them because it was easy enough to go to the next town for their liquor and then come back to ours where it was "cleaner", but the city council figured that the city could rake in more money in tax revenue if we had more liquor and tobacco sales.

I think this is one of the reasons why the citizens voted them all out of office last week.

There is really no need to expand sin-based industries. People can get their vices if they really need them, and if that means they go elsewhere to do it, whatever. If they're willing to spend the money for gas to get their vices, whatever. Just because it's inconvenient doesn't mean that PA, a naturally beautiful state, needs the blight that would be associated with more liquor stores.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
The truth is that liquor stores are associated with blight and crime. People are so desperate for their alcohol sometimes that they will rob liquor stores... so by adding more stores that sell alcoholic beverages, a city or state will add to its crime risk. I lived in PA for a while, and am strongly considering going back. One thing I liked was how you couldn't just go out and buy intoxicating chemicals everywhere.
actually, you can buy intoxicating chemicals all over...drugs. you seem to be making a lot of baseless assumptions and conflating wine and liquor. if these stores cause crime and blight, then why isn't PA safer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
There is really no need to expand sin-based industries. People can get their vices if they really need them, and if that means they go elsewhere to do it, whatever. If they're willing to spend the money for gas to get their vices, whatever. Just because it's inconvenient doesn't mean that PA, a naturally beautiful state, needs the blight that would be associated with more liquor stores.
sin based industries? so there's a sin in having a glass of wine or two? seems like some extremist fanatical thinking to me. the fact is, there is no proof that our system leads to less blight, crime, or alcohol abuse...sorry. your entire opinion is based on conjecture and personal hatred of alcohol.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:59 PM

116 posts, read 212,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I agree. One battle at a time. Wholesale reform is just too much for Pennsylvania folks.
Correction, it's just too much for PA politicians and special interest groups.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:31 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
I agree. One battle at a time. Wholesale reform is just too much for Pennsylvania folks.
Except that the majority of Pennsylvanians are in favor of wholesale reform.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
actually, you can buy intoxicating chemicals all over...drugs. you seem to be making a lot of baseless assumptions and conflating wine and liquor. if these stores cause crime and blight, then why isn't PA safer?
I've lived in PA and there are certain areas of PA which I would consider the safest I have ever experienced. Honestly, I think that most of PA is quite safe. As for drugs, yes, you will always be able to find illegal drugs if you look hard enough. What's your point? Do you not know that by legalizing this stuff and making it easier to access (as would be the case with alcohol if the state system were changed), all you'll get is more users of intoxicating chemicals who can (and will) do stupid stuff while under the influence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
sin based industries? so there's a sin in having a glass of wine or two? seems like some extremist fanatical thinking to me. the fact is, there is no proof that our system leads to less blight, crime, or alcohol abuse...sorry. your entire opinion is based on conjecture and personal hatred of alcohol.
Not quite. Read the stats yourself. Don't take my word for it. Show me some statistics and proof to back up your assertion, or it's just going to be ignored.

As for sin... alcohol is a known, proven bodily poison. Let's say you have a child whom you know is poisoning himself in some way. That wouldn't upset you at all?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Except that the majority of Pennsylvanians are in favor of wholesale reform.
Oh, you're so funny! Especially considering you're usually one of the leaders of the status quo chant in these threads -- which you must not actually read if you can make such an uninformed statement.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:18 PM

116 posts, read 212,404 times
Two snippets of conversation I will always remember with regards to this topic:

Beer distributor owner - "Of course people should be able to buy a six-pack of beer in a grocery store, but it will never happen."

State store worker after being asked whether privatization should happen - "Yeah, it's a no-brainer, but that's not how things work in PA."

It's obvious, even from people that have a vested interest in keeping things the same, that this draconian system needs to end. I don't recall ever, and I'm not exaggerating, meeting someone who wants to keep things how they are. All this talk that Pennsylvanians don't want reform is bs. We don't have a choice. It doesn't matter who we elect either. I didn't vote for him, but I had hope that Corbett might make some headway in eliminating the current system. He talked a good game. It's become more and more apparent that this was false hope.

And just throwing this out there for people who claim that privatization will lead to underagers getting booze easier. I get carded for buying smokes, but have never been carded at state stores for buying booze. Beer distributors and bars card me about half the time. Privatization that requires sellers to swipe a driver's license is an easy solution.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyTheHun View Post
Two snippets of conversation I will always remember with regards to this topic:

Beer distributor owner - "Of course people should be able to buy a six-pack of beer in a grocery store, but it will never happen."

State store worker after being asked whether privatization should happen - "Yeah, it's a no-brainer, but that's not how things work in PA."

It's obvious, even from people that have a vested interest in keeping things the same, that this draconian system needs to end. I don't recall ever, and I'm not exaggerating, meeting someone who wants to keep things how they are. All this talk that Pennsylvanians don't want reform is bs. We don't have a choice. It doesn't matter who we elect either. I didn't vote for him, but I had hope that Corbett might make some headway in eliminating the current system. He talked a good game. It's become more and more apparent that this was false hope.

And just throwing this out there for people who claim that privatization will lead to underagers getting booze easier. I get carded for buying smokes, but have never been carded at state stores for buying booze. Beer distributors and bars card me about half the time. Privatization that requires sellers to swipe a driver's license is an easy solution.
Yeah, I don't know anyone (except for maybe the person above who thinks alcohol is sinful) who thinks the State Store system should stay in place. I just listened to Corbett's recent radio interview on the status of privatization -- he said they're expecting a report from their experts on I guess the economics of it. He said the state should definitely be OUT of the business of selling liquor and PA is one of only two states who still control the entire distribution. He expects the number of liquor stores to double, which is in line with the norm in other states, and that PA will still make money from the taxes on alcohol.

This is all well and good, but my concern is that the new "privatized" system will be subject to the same draconian PA alcohol laws -- same inconvenient hours and separate alcohol/beer system. I hope they understand that it's not just that we want "private" liquor stores, we want the same convenience that we can find in NJ and DE.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Oh, you're so funny! Especially considering you're usually one of the leaders of the status quo chant in these threads...
Except I've been in favor of eliminating the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board for as long as I've known it's existed. "Preserver of the status quo" my ass.

The only reason the PLCB survives is because of the store employees, the busybody Bible-thumpers, and groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving. They're the five percent of the people who make 95 percent of the noise on this issue. They're the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania