Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM

29 posts, read 187,249 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I received a job offer from Letterkenny Army Depot and I need information on the area. I have no idea what the area is like since I have never been there. I need information on apartments in the area and rent prices. I'm a 22 year old single black male. I know there are not many blacks in the area which is not a problem for me but I just wonder what the residents of Chambersburg will think of me. I'm looking to live in an area that has somewhat of diversity although I know that there is not much of it there. I also looked into living in the Frederick, MD area and commuting to work since I noticed that the median age there is lower than Chambersburg. Any info and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 06:49 AM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-vet22 View Post
Hello everyone,

I received a job offer from Letterkenny Army Depot and I need information on the area. I have no idea what the area is like since I have never been there. I need information on apartments in the area and rent prices. I'm a 22 year old single black male. I know there are not many blacks in the area which is not a problem for me but I just wonder what the residents of Chambersburg will think of me. I'm looking to live in an area that has somewhat of diversity although I know that there is not much of it there. I also looked into living in the Frederick, MD area and commuting to work since I noticed that the median age there is lower than Chambersburg. Any info and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
I think you will find the prices in Frederick are considerably more than Chambersburg. I think Chambersburg is not terribly diverse, but it is definately not 100% white, either. You will probably find the most diversity in the downtown area, but that may not be the place you want to live. I haven't seen any racism, but as a young professional, you might choose to live in an area that attracts similar people. There are some apartments close to Letterkenney. Here is the link:
Highlands of Greenvillage
Also, if you are in the market to buy, there are some townhouses off Mill Rd. (VERY small) that are priced in the $120,000s-$130,000s. Those prices are almost unheard of for newer construction. If interested, just call any realtor in Chambersburg and mention "Mill Rd." They will know exactly where that is. We live in the neighborhood next to those townhouses and love it.
You are very fortunate to have a job offer from Letterkenney. I've heard they don't hire many people and that nepotism is the rule. In fact, one of my neighbors is tired of driving to D.C. and wants to continue his Federal service at Letterkenny, but hasn't been able to get an interview.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:20 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
I definately don't recommend living in frederick. I-70 is fairly congested most times of the day and would be a pain. If you want younger you could try out gettysburg or shippensburg since they are college towns.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:06 AM

21 posts, read 109,223 times
Hi There!
We are in the same deal you're in! And we live in Summerville! My husband got a job offer at Mack Truck. Letterkenny Depot is by Chambersburg area-there's a lot of Mexicans there. I'm not prejudiced or anything-but they don't appear to be the working for the cable kind of Mex's-most look South American hispanic (or to be blunt-like LA gangers). But that's just my perception judging by the tats and some grafetti symbols in that area. Personally if the price of the house of our dreams weren't so high in the boro-I'd live there-with a doberman or 2. We are looking at Shippensburg (that's close to LetterKenney area too). It's beautiful up here in PA for sure. Shippensburg is an affordable area and has a really cool university that ranks 57 out of 200. The town itself is 27 out of 100 of America's best towns to live in. (yeah stay away from Frederick-it's pretty-but with the drive over the mountain-there is ALWAYS heavy traffic in that area-the commute would be about an hour-maybe longer if you factor weather, etc.). Hope all goes well-keep in touch!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 AM

21 posts, read 109,223 times
ps-don't worry about the color of your skin. I've seen many young, black male and female students (and white students) that walk from the university of off campus housing around the boro there in Ship. There's even the Amish folk with the horse and buggy that come trotting in the town there-so it's cool-there's everyone and all seem okay with everyone-which is nice. Places like Mercersburg or Waynesboro seem to be backwoods like-but it wouldn't matter if your black, green,red, female, etc. some people are just pissy with everyone because they aren't happy with themselves (and in a twisted way-that's a gang mentality because they think they were there first-or it's 'their' town) so they just depise new people in general. So no worries-if more of us from peaceful Chas. SC move here-we can spread Peace amongst the US!_!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania