Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

So my mother is a FOX News junkie. Last night she was watching Mike Huckabee's show, and they had some Congressman from Oklahoma on to talk about the energy industry and job creation. He talked a bit about the copious natural gas reserves in Pennsylvania, but then ruined it all by saying that it was "literally the only economic driver" providing jobs in the state. Apparently he's not an expert on anything happening outside of Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
I thought that gambling was our only economic driver!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
And I thought it was corruption.

Oh, and sorry about your mom.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
From what I understand a lot of these jobs went to Oklahoma residents. Why aren't our people being hired?

Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
From what I understand a lot of these jobs went to Oklahoma residents. Why aren't our people being hired?
Because they know how to drill.

The jobs weren't "handed out" as you imply.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
for some parts of the state that's probably true, just not for the state as a whole

Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because they know how to drill.

The jobs weren't "handed out" as you imply.
Learn English! I didn't imply anything.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
yep, alot of jobs went to people from Oklahoma and Texas...these workers uprooted themselves and their families to come be apart of the biggest Shale play in the US...reason being, like the previous poster, is they have experience and could git the ground running.

however, there are plenty of jobs being grabbed up by locals as well...many of them are training or have been training for a job in the Marcellus, so expect as time grows, more and more locals will be hired on to replace some of the workers from down south who decide pack up and go back home.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,120 times
Isn't it more likely that these newly trained PA gasmen, will simply join the nomadic professional gas industry and just move on to the next project?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 AM

199 posts, read 421,327 times
I wouldn't expect a conservative Oklahoma congressman to grant that Pennsylvania has anything more going for it than natural gas. It's one of the leading drivers in his state and he's more than happy to see those dividends returned to Oklahoma corporations and incomes earned returned with Oklahoma drillers after the wells are dug.

Realize I'm coming to this thread a bit late (it was at the top of a 'similar threads' link, sorry), but there won't be that much training for locals for the drilling jobs. Just as there wasn't much training for Alberta or Venezuelan locals from multi-nationals, the companies are happy to pay high rates to attract nomadic drillers as the industry itself is migratory. The locals get residual jobs in the service industries, a spike of increased business as the hotels fill up and lots of houses are rented for a year or two, then those markets cool off as less boots are needed on the ground. Eventually locals are trained to maintain equipment and hired to drive trucks but the once the boom is over and the wells are tapped, the economic fervor slows. North Dakota is on its second boom, but the first short one was short, and after it ended the region returned to painstakingly rural, wealth stripped and with little lasting economically to show for it.

It's too bad Pennsylvania couldn't invest in its own companies to safely extract. There's no rush, the shale has been around for millions of years, I think it'll still be there tomorrow. These resource giants have a miserable history with local communities, are tied to board members and stock-holders, and have no interest in the long-term viability of their industry to the community. Doesn't anyone look back at the oil boom of the late 19th/early 20th century in the Northern Tier and the western half of the state? So it's not quite 'free-market' to shut out outside bidders, or regulate them highly with mandates for local hiring, training and best practices. What do we value more, unfettered capitalism, or community? If I hear another person mention it's 'not the America I grew up in'.. ahh.. well, no, it's not. We sell your America to the highest bidder. We oversell what capitalism does and undercredit what our communities could do, but that is another tangent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania