Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 13,522 times

Advertisements

I grew up in North East, PA. Not Northeastern PA, but the town North East, it's outisde of Erie. My husband grew up in Philly & his parents live in Coudersport, all 3 of his brothers live in the Birdsboro/Hamburg/Reading area. We live in Florida & the taxes & insurance has gone sky high so we want to get out while we can & my whole family is still in the North East/Erie area. He is in constrution & we KNOW there isn't anything in the Erie area & he says you couldn't pay him enough to live in the Philly area again, but what about State College, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Camp Hill areas? We've got 2 kids, boys ages 9 & 5, so it's GOT to be a good place for kids. Any elp is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,906 times
I am originally from Chautauqua County, NY. I see quite a few construction opportunities in the Erie area? Are you sure he wouldn't be able to find a position there? What type of work does he do?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:00 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Lots of opportunities for construction in the Harrisburg area, there are many major construction contractors headquartered here (that usually do work for the government).

Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 AM

He's a construction manager/superintendent. I don't know if he can get the kind of money he's looking for in Erie, which is why we were thinking about the middle (more or less) of the state.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:06 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times
My husband also works in road construction - lots of work this year in the Pittsburgh and surrounding areas. We live in Beaver County, 40 miles north of Pittsburgh, and his jobs usually keep him within a 30=45 minute range of home, either here in Beaver County or Butler County. And the pay is good. IA Construction Company in Mars PA has a good rep. I can't think of the other one - but they're the two main road construction companies in this area.

I like North East PA. Great wineries. My ex fiance and I would always stop at Penn's Winery (I think that's what it's called) for a bottle of white wine that we found to be excellent, on our way north to Ottawa Canada where he lived.

We're south of Interstate 80, so we don't get the "Lake Effect" snow like Meadville and north. Much milder winters.

Welcome back Home!

blessings, Shen

Old 10-02-2007, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 18,619 times
Default I grew up in North East too!

I just came across your posting as I was doing some research about Cave Creek, AZ...thinking of relocating back there. Anyway, I was just thinking how nice it would be to move back home (we are in the Pittsburgh area right now for my husband's job...hate it!), but we weren't sure that we could make nearly the same kind of money as we can other places. There is a trade off...as I have been pondering-move back home where it is quite beautiful, quaint and a terrific little school district to boot...or.....move elsewhere where I can't imagine that we would find as nice a town (with the exception of State College), but maintain a decent lifestyle. I don't think that there's a ton of construction work around the Erie area, building seems to be quite slow. As for State College, it is as close to a "perfect town" as you can get-my Mom is from there and we still maintain a family home there. The only problem is, again, much like Erie, where do you work? The biggest employer I would assume is the university. I don't know, it's all very confusing!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:27 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseyorkie View Post
I just came across your posting as I was doing some research about Cave Creek, AZ...thinking of relocating back there. Anyway, I was just thinking how nice it would be to move back home (we are in the Pittsburgh area right now for my husband's job...hate it!), but we weren't sure that we could make nearly the same kind of money as we can other places. There is a trade off...as I have been pondering-move back home where it is quite beautiful, quaint and a terrific little school district to boot...or.....move elsewhere where I can't imagine that we would find as nice a town (with the exception of State College), but maintain a decent lifestyle. I don't think that there's a ton of construction work around the Erie area, building seems to be quite slow. As for State College, it is as close to a "perfect town" as you can get-my Mom is from there and we still maintain a family home there. The only problem is, again, much like Erie, where do you work? The biggest employer I would assume is the university. I don't know, it's all very confusing!
Well this is getting to be a North East renunion, I am from North East myself. Class of 1988

Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinghome View Post
I grew up in North East, PA. Not Northeastern PA, but the town North East, it's outisde of Erie. My husband grew up in Philly & his parents live in Coudersport, all 3 of his brothers live in the Birdsboro/Hamburg/Reading area. We live in Florida & the taxes & insurance has gone sky high so we want to get out while we can & my whole family is still in the North East/Erie area. He is in constrution & we KNOW there isn't anything in the Erie area & he says you couldn't pay him enough to live in the Philly area again, but what about State College, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Camp Hill areas? We've got 2 kids, boys ages 9 & 5, so it's GOT to be a good place for kids. Any elp is much appreciated!
I PM'd you because I'm originally from North East too and was wondering who you are.....but anyway

I lived in North East untill 1996, then moved to Erie where I lived untill last year at this time when I moved to Pittsburgh. In Pittsburgh, there are projects going up all over.

I miss Erie, and my now fiance and I go back when I have a three or four day weekend. We just went back two weekends ago for a wine tasting tour put on by a local bed and breakfast in Girard. Ive got alot of good memories of North East but would never move back there. I love the City of Erie, but there are only select areas in the city I would live in now because of the scaled down police force.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 AM

I moved from North East when I was in the 7th grade to Wattsburg. My family is still in the area, my Dad still ives in town, as do 2 of my aunts & my fathers parents. I want to go home so badly.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
This is a bit off topic, and just an observation.

Did you know there's a Northwest school district - in northeastern PA? And now I learn there's a North East, PA in northwestern PA. What's up with that? Someone must have been directionally challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania