Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:07 AM

342 posts, read 798,898 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. From NEPA and have been vacationing in Lancaster since I was about 4. Time to take my kids there with the family. We went once with my oldest who is now 5 and now my youngest is 2. We have done all the major attractions and will be going to (strasburg, dutch wonderland, amish farm tour and amish buggy ride) Staying at Bird in Hand ( love that place ) Just looking to the true locals to see if there is something off the beaten path to do that is not covered in tour books, billboards etc...something quaint and unique to the surrounding area that many tourists might not know about. Thanks to anyone who might reply.
Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
My 3 year old grandson loves trains so Strasburg Railway is mandatory. Hersheypark is expensive but good.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM

def going to do strasburg. Just going to stay in the lancaster area. We actually just did hershey park over the winter and it enjoyed it without the summertime rush.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM

175 posts, read 590,159 times
My 4 yr old grandson loves The Hands on House at Landis Valley! www.handsonhouse.org/

Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Lancaster Central Market named one of best in world | PennLive.com

Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Check out the Sturgis pretzel bakery. I remember them letting kids make their own pretzels to bake:

Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery - America’s first commercial pretzel bakery

Also the Ephrata Cloisters are a nice shady (if I remember right) place to visit:

Ephrata Cloister, Ephrata, PA

The Landis Valley Museum is always interesting:

Landis Valley Museum - Pennsylvania German Heritage - Lancaster County Tourism, PA

Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
If you're willing to drive a little bit, Berks County is just next door. On the northern end of the of the county you have Cabelas which would entertain the kids with a live fish exhibit, an indoor mountain of taxidermy/ big game animals and a safari exhibit. Its on route 61. Go just a few miles west near Shartlesville and you have Roadside America, probably the biggest and best model train village in the country. Go a few miles north and east of Cabelas and there's Hawk Mountain, a nice raptor museum. If they want to see a Japanese pagoda( although I think its actually a Phillippines based design), The Reading Pagoda is on top of Mount Penn overlooking the city. Drive 10 minutes west and you're in Wyomissing where there's Vanity Fair, the place for back to school clothes shopping. They'll love you for that.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
Dutch Wonderland
Landis Valley Museum
Hands on House
Sturgis Pretzel Factory
Turkey Hill Experience
National Clock Museum
The Lancaster Science Factory

Old 07-10-2012, 05:03 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
If you are there on a Friday, the Green Dragon Farmer's Market in Ephrata is fun for the whole family. My kids love to drag me around to see everything
The Green Dragon

We haven't visited yet, because we were last there off-season, but the Cherry Crest Adventure Farm (just around the corner from the Strasburg Railroad), looks like an absolute BLAST!
Corn Mazes | Fun Things To Do In PA | Cherry Crest Adventure Farm

If you have a rainy day while you are there, the Lancaster Science Factory sounds like a cool place to visit:
The Lancaster Science Factory - Home

And I haven't been here yet, but we want to visit the Turkey Hill Experience later this summer (my oldest son works for Turkey Hill so he really wants to check this out).
The Turkey Hill Experience | Home Page

Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 AM

we have friends out in berks county so weve been to cabelas and hawk mountain (very nice)
lots of mentions for the turkey hill experience. we have never tried that because honestly when i was little i dont recall that being there. anyone know when it opened? Ill definatly have to look that up
strasburg is a definate day one for us and probably the train museum with lunch at that little nice deli near the tracks (cant recall the name)
dutch wonderland for a day if not two with the two day pass (saves $)
amish farm tour
bird in hand farmland tour
lots of time by the pool
mini golf
horse and buggy ride
eat at bird in hand, millers, the 50's diner past bird in hand
hands on house
sturgis pretzel tour
and possibly turkey hill now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania