Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 3,762 times

Advertisements

I have so called friends that were living in a motel and their kids have not been in school for 2 years. We rented them a 2 bedroom apt. Since they were friends and needed help they didn't pay deposit or sign a lease. All they had to do was pay rent and part of power( even had there power in my name). Last Wednesday they said they would pay rent and power on Friday. Even Thursday night said they would pay Friday morning. Friday they started moving all there stuff out. They left 2 twin beds and a tv. Never told us they were leaving. Found out they owe our friend $500.00 for a truck they bought off him. He let them pay half and put truck in there name. He didn't think anything about it since they were friends. Also they borrowed $150.00 from people next door. She told them she had to have the money they borrowed from they back by Friday because it was money she put away for her daughters birthday. They owe $650.00 to friends and i think they went out of state. Not sure if they are living there or not. My question since they abandoned the apt. They still have a few things here. How long do I have to wait for them to get their stuff? Is it considered ours since they left without telling and maybe moved out of state? They had no mail that came here. No paper work at all saying they lived here. No proof at all that they were here. Do they have a legal right to come back at anytime to get their stuff? Found out the other day that her name is not what she told us. She has been going by a fake first and last name the whole time we have known her. Sorry I tried to make the story as short as I could. Any help would be great. Thank you

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-11-2014 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: fixed typos for clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 02:42 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
My "Guess" since they did not have a lease they would be concerned a month to month.

Can they get there Stuff ? Yes. Odds are they don't want it. (Do you want to got thru the work of legally evicting them when they are already gone?) They sound like "Users" they will move on to "use" others and you will never hear from then again.

Put this whole thing behind you, give them a day or two to come get the beds/tv. Then toss them. And ReRent out the apt. And just chalk up the loss as biz expense on your taxes.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:22 PM

Thank you very much. We thought we were helping them. All we did was help them use us. The kids always said they were home schooled never thought anything of it until they moved in here. She just dont want to get up in the morning or do homework. Sad when your kids lie for you. I feel sorry for them. The 9 year old takes car of the 5 year old. Mom wont cook for them at all. At least the kidshad a hot dinner cooked for them every night because I cooked for them. Thank you for your time

Old 03-09-2014, 03:48 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Sorry to hear of this unfortunate incident. Common sense should tell you to check the identity, credit history and possible criminal background of a prospective tenant. There are companies that do this for landlords. Do a Google search for "tenant screening."

Renting to a party because you feel sorry for them is not good business practice. There are state and county social service agencies that provide assistance to people in need or in distress.

If they gave you a false indentity, my advice would be to report it to the police as this constitutes a clear case of fraud.

You can remove whatever they left in the apartment to a safe storage area. If they return and ask you for their belongings, you can tell them that they must first pay you for the rent that is owed plus damages before releasing their belongings.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:02 PM

We thought we knew them. They were friends of ours for about a year an half. Just never knew she had a different name. We just cant rent out to friends. I live in a very small town. Sorry not a town but a village lol. The day they moved out we found out she got money from people next door and didnt pay the truck off from a friend of ours. So they paid 200.00 for a truck. As for the storage. Do I have to get a storage spot? Or can I keep there things here? I think the closest storage place is about 30-40 miles away. Thank you

Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Be thankful they are gone. They could have caused you so much trouble and aggravation.

I would hold on to their stuff for 6 months. After 6 months I think you can consider it yours.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:27 PM

Thank you very much!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyghtfire22 View Post
We thought we knew them. They were friends of ours for about a year an half. Just never knew she had a different name.
I was friends with a neighbor for two years before she told me she was a heroin addict. I had no clue. We met because we both love gardening. She stopped to compliment me on my garden, and we became friends quickly.

We had coffee together almost every morning at my house. The day she told me she was a heroin addict was the day after she almost died and her youngest was wandering around the house all day unsupervised until her husband came home. She was terrified. I was horrified.

Like all addicts, her life came crumbling down. Her car was repossessed. Her house went into foreclosure. I kept in touch with her on and off over the past year, but now her cell phone is disconnected. I assume she couldn't pay the bill. She has fallen off the face of the earth. For all I know, she's dead.

With all of your friend's financial problems and inability to get their kids to school, it's very likely you were dealing with an addict and didn't know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania