Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times

Advertisements

GE cuts 950 jobs at 100-year-old Erie train plant, shifting work to Texas | TribLIVE
the doomsayers were right, the job gains in erie were eliminated.
[quote]In all, the GE facility could employ 875 by 2016 - with most employees at the factory earning from $18 to $23.50 per hour. Those are competitive wages in the Texas market, a GE official said, although according to a union official the rate is about $10 an hour less than what's being paid for the same work at GE's locomotive plant in Pennsylvania...And workers in the northern state are worried that GE Transportation will shift work to the non-union plant in Texas and lay off workers in Pennsylvania...GE officials also have said their Fort Worth facility is an expansion project, and not an attempt to move jobs from Erie.
Read more here: GE still hiring workers at new plant in north Fort Worth | News | News from Fort Worth, ...
i wouldn't think erie would be more expensive to live in and I wonder what the difference in take home pay is after union dues. and I wonder how much of the decision is wage related and how much is state tax related. thoughts? I suppose if you are union then you can ill afford a big tax premium to boot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,860,274 times
pman

This is an interesting situation and I think it is definitely a combination of issues, including the following:

1) The recent move of the GE transportation headquarters, essentially making the Erie plant just another factory.
2) The age of the facility in Erie and the use of space vs. the Fort Worth facility.
3) The lack of a community/technical college in Erie county to educate lower level workers.
4) Wages are an issue, but I think they are not as big of an issue as the aforementioned points.
5) The state tax environment for PA is not overly conducive to business, but this is not really a big issue for a company the size of GE because of the available write offs and deductions.

Overall, this is bad for Erie, but I am not overly surprised and Erie will have to work hard to manage the loss of these quality jobs.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Bad for Erie ... And if GE were to follow through and close the plant it would be disastrous for Lawrence Park and the Iroquois school district.

The best case scenario is that the job loss is part of a cycle, as they have been in the past, but I wouldn't be surprised if that weren't the case.

Lies, lies lies ... What do you expect from a company that celebrated the 100th anniversary of the opening of the plant by moving the transportation headquarters to Chicago and opening a new plant in Texas making the exact same products?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM

149 posts, read 303,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
pman

This is an interesting situation and I think it is definitely a combination of issues, including the following:

1) The recent move of the GE transportation headquarters, essentially making the Erie plant just another factory.
2) The age of the facility in Erie and the use of space vs. the Fort Worth facility.
3) The lack of a community/technical college in Erie county to educate lower level workers.
4) Wages are an issue, but I think they are not as big of an issue as the aforementioned points.
5) The state tax environment for PA is not overly conducive to business, but this is not really a big issue for a company the size of GE because of the available write offs and deductions.

Overall, this is bad for Erie, but I am not overly surprised and Erie will have to work hard to manage the loss of these quality jobs.
Re: #3 (what I bolded) - when I left Erie over 5 years ago, this was in discussion...I assume that nothing ever came of it? That's too bad. I believe that the Erie area is one of the few (only?) PA metros with no real community college, only for-profit schools like Triangle Tech.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
At least manufacturing will stay in the states instead of being sent overseas.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringoptions View Post
Re: #3 (what I bolded) - when I left Erie over 5 years ago, this was in discussion...I assume that nothing ever came of it? That's too bad. I believe that the Erie area is one of the few (only?) PA metros with no real community college, only for-profit schools like Triangle Tech.
I'm shocked that Erie doesn't have a community college! Heck, even Butler County has a community college.

I thought community colleges were the norm in PA. I guess we're so spoiled in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Here's a map of the community college locations in Pennsylvania.

http://pacommunitycolleges.org/our-c...llege-map.html

Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
At least manufacturing will stay in the states instead of being sent overseas.
That must be a great comfort to those 900 some people losing their jobs, and to the entire community.

Not to mention that GE also has a locomotive plant in Mexico that, at some point, will get some new work.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,860,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringoptions View Post
Yeah not having a community college is a big deal and it is interesting to note that there is a community college pretty close to the new GE Plant in Fort Worth. I really hope Erie county starts to realize how important this issue is and funds a community college in the near future. This needs to happen even if GE leaves for good and it appears that Erie is one of the most populated areas in the state without a community college.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,227,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's a map of the community college locations in Pennsylvania.

Advance the Interests of Pennsylvania
I used to live in Erie, and remember that some politicians raised the idea from time to time. County Executive Mark DiVechio was a strong proponent: DiVecchio to visit community college | GoErie.com/Erie Times-News. I don't recall a significant amount of popular support; the culture of the region really revealed itself on that one. Letters to the editor about wasteful spending of tax dollars and that sort of thing. Interestingly, just a couple weeks ago the Erie Times News published an editorial about it: Our View: Is Erie community college dead? | GoErie.com/Erie Times-News

I'm surprised Erie was able to hold on to GE for as long as it did. For decades now businesses have fled to locales where they can exploit cheap labor, whether China, Mexico, Texas, or really anywhere in the Southern US. It's good for the workers in those places that have historically been so poor and are easy to exploit and thus make good wage slaves who don't seem to care they're not getting a fair deal based on corporate earnings from their labor, but difficult for workers here who do quality work and are shut out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania