Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM

12 posts, read 44,895 times

Advertisements

I was looking for a 1 bedroom apartment & saw an ad on Craigslist for Granada apartments. I gave them a call & they have everything I need covered:

1. 3 cats = OK
2. No credit checks (we have no credit, I'm trying to build some up now)
3. 6 month lease

Sounded perfect & the guy I talked to was really cool & helpful. Not a complete dumbass that answers every question with "I DON'T KNOW" like most people I talk to. But then I read the reviews & they're not too great.

What's it like there? Does anybody know better places that cover those 3 things listed above? I read in an old thread that the Millcreek area is a great place to live. Can you give me some feedback about the area?

I'm not looking for a home, I'm looking for a place to camp out for a few months to give me time to get to know the area & look around for house to rent. I can't do it from here, I need to get into the area first. Then I'll have the time to find a proper place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 AM

This is part of a review about another apartment complex:

The apartment is nice and the prices are unbeatable. Unfortunately, they are located in Erie which is an unpleasant place to live.

This goes against everything I've read about Erie. I've been trying to find a place to move for over 2 years now. It's the same thing everywhere, 50% of the reviews/comments are positive & 50% are negative. WTF??? What can you believe? Who can you trust? How can anybody get anything accomplished in this world??? This IS NOT helping at all.

Every time I feel like I'm making a little progress I get knocked back. 1 step forwards + 2 steps back.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Grenada is a 1970s apartment complex that has fallen on hard times. I'm sure the residents causing problems in the complex are in the minority, but the reviews of the complex, the problem residents, the condition of the apartments, and the management are pretty harsh.

It's hard to believe it used to be one of "the" places to live in Millcreek 30 years ago. A friend of mine lived there for a few years in the early 80s, and her apartment seemed palatial next to my flat in a 100-year-old converted house ...

If you can stand it for six months, go for it. You might get lucky, and I agree it's hard to find a short-term rental for three cats and with not-so-hot credit. But you might want to keep looking, and keep Grenada as a last resort.

As for Erie being "unpleasant", it's not unlike any other city with good and not-so-good neighborhoods. I don't live in town anymore, and no one I know rents, so I don't know much about available apartment complexes. I assume you don't live in Erie yet?

There are some other posts that list rental resources. I'll try to dig them up for you.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 08-20-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info!

A few reviewers say that most people are making the place out to be a lot worse than it actually is. I'm gonna call a few more places & then try to figure out which is the best. But reviews aren't really helpful at all. There are a lot of movies & video games that I totally love that got trashed by the majority. So with an apartment there's really no way to know for sure until after I'm in & it's too late. 6 months will fly by. But I don't like the sound of 12 months, that's just too damn long!

Yeah, it's almost impossible to find a place if you have pets. I read that most people give up & send their pets to shelters. Across the country over 8,000 dogs & cats are put down every day.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Here are some links. Don't forget about looking in the newspaper.

Apartments For Rent in the Apartment Rental Guide Magazine

Welcome | aptassoc.com

Erie PA Real Estate : Regina Baldwin Realtor

Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 PM

458 posts, read 656,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider 001 View Post
I was looking for a 1 bedroom apartment & saw an ad on Craigslist for Granada apartments. I gave them a call & they have everything I need covered:

1. 3 cats = OK
3. 6 month lease

Sounded perfect & the guy I talked to was really cool & helpful. Not a complete dumbass that answers every question with "I DON'T KNOW" like most people I talk to. But then I read the reviews & they're not too great.

What's it like there? Does anybody know better places that cover those 3 things listed above? I read in an old thread that the Millcreek area is a great place to live. Can you give me some feedback about the area?

I'm not looking for a home, I'm looking for a place to camp out for a few months to give me time to get to know the area & look around for house to rent. I can't do it from here, I need to get into the area first. Then I'll have the time to find a proper place to live.
Granada is probably the Erie areas most well known apartment complex, for good and bad reasons. I've had plenty of friends and family that have lived there and have been the victims of break ins, often by employees of the apartment complex. I've been in a number of apartments there and the walls are very thin.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
Granada is probably the Erie areas most well known apartment complex, for good and bad reasons. I've had plenty of friends and family that have lived there and have been the victims of break ins, often by employees of the apartment complex. I've been in a number of apartments there and the walls are very thin.
Yep this place seems to always be on the news for bad reasons and even though Millcreek is a pretty nice place, I would not live in these apartments. The OP could find a better place in the city with the same price range or pay a little more to live in a different apartment complex in Millcreek.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 PM

I called a bunch of other apartments & none of them will rent to me because of the 3 cats. That's the first question I ask so I don't waste any time.

So WTF am I supposed to do? Kill my cats? (&%#$ humans would like that wouldn't they?) Change the lock on the door as soon as I move in? Just take my chances & hope for the best (but expect the worst)? Just kill myself & get it over with so I don't have to put up with ENDLESS BULL**** anymore?

Finding a house to rent is next to impossible unless you're in the area & have a lot of time to kill.

So WTF am I supposed to do. I finally found 1 place that allows 3 cats, doesn't do credit checks & does 6 month leases but now I have to worry this other crap (that I shouldn't have to).

Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
Quote:
I called a bunch of other apartments & none of them will rent to me because of the 3 cats. That's the first question I ask so I don't waste any time.

So WTF am I supposed to do? Kill my cats? (&%#$ humans would like that wouldn't they?) Change the lock on the door as soon as I move in? Just take my chances & hope for the best (but expect the worst)? Just kill myself & get it over with so I don't have to put up with ENDLESS BULL**** anymore?

Finding a house to rent is next to impossible unless you're in the area & have a lot of time to kill.

So WTF am I supposed to do. I finally found 1 place that allows 3 cats, doesn't do credit checks & does 6 month leases but now I have to worry this other crap (that I shouldn't have to).
I understand your situation, my wife and I moved here and rented before we bought. It was a pain to find a rental that allowed pets and we were lucky to find a house that did allow pets. The Erie rental market is really tough and I would try these places if I were you:

Gas, water, sewer and garbage included-CERTAIN PETS PERMITTED-

2 BEDROOM TOWNHOME

Colorful and sweet first floor apartment on Cherry St. Garage Included

Bayfront house

Waterford - "NEW" Luxury One Bdrm Apts

3 bedroom house for rent

Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
Quote:

1. 3 cats = OK
3. 6 month lease

Grenada is located in a part of town that never struck me as being "bad". I once dated a woman who lived there for a while and it didn't seem that terrible... of course, that was ten years ago.

From a landlord's perspective, I can tell you that if they are allowing you in with three cats, no credit check, and a six-month lease, on top of it being an affordable place to rent, they're desperate for tenants. Landlords who are flooded with good tenant prospects and/or have good long-term tenants that they don't have to evict will be more picky... as they won't want to make their good long-term tenants leave by inviting in unsavory neighbors. When last I was a landlord, I rented out older singlewide trailers in a trailer park. Yeah. I'd let almost anyone in there, because, if I didn't have very loose standards, I'd never have any tenants and then the trailers would sit empty, costing me money while they weren't generating any rent. So understand that if it's easy for YOU to get in, it's also similarly easy for someone else (whom you might not like to have as a neighbor) to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania